OT: What if this was an Oiler?

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I read your post. You should re-read you original post. That’s literally, exactly what you said.

Without being a huge dbag about it basically means without doing whatever Tom Wilson did.

I dont know....I mean i dont really care about this argument or whatever point I was trying to make.

space321

May 11, 2011
I would hate it. I don't cheer for assholes. That's also why I don't really like Kassian, because of his history with breaking Gagner's jaw.

I think a borderline example would be Marchand, at least Marchand's antics are mostly harmless and not meant to break someone's neck on purpose.

Matthew Tkachuk I would absolutely hate if he were on this team. Slew foots Davidson first game in the NHL pretty much told me all I had to know about him. He could score 100 points next to McDavid and I would still hate him.

Oh yeah and Brandon Manning, good lord was it hard to watch him. f***ing hell when he scored on a McDavid assist, McDavid didn't even want to celebrate with him lmao. Having him on this team was like torture.

And I also didn't really like Lucic when he jumped that one guy, but Lucic was pretty tame here and looked disinterested so w/e.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
I'd be more worried that it's now open season on guys like McDavid than what would have happened if it was on Oiler doing what Wilson did.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I would hate it.
If Wilson went after a notorious POS, I'd still hate it but would still like the POS being taken care of.
I don't want it around.

Like the Tkahcuk and Kassian thing. Tkahcuk is a dirty player who had constantly been injuring our players, skirting by the rules and never answering the bell and in that game laid 3 borderline hits on Kassian. I don't like that it got to that point. What Kassian did was pretty shitty. Did I enjoy Tkachuk getting some of his medicine? Of course. Still doesn't make it right

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I'd be more worried that it's now open season on guys like McDavid than what would have happened if it was on Oiler doing what Wilson did.
I mean why not?
$5k is the cost for a guy to grab an elite player by the hair and slam him into the ground taking him out for the rest of the season.

If that's it, hell why wouldn't teams just pony up the fine to take guys like McDavid, Crosby and Ovechkin out. What's 5k to them?

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
I mean why not?
$5k is the cost for a guy to grab an elite player by the hair and slam him into the ground taking him out for the rest of the season.

If that's it, hell why wouldn't teams just pony up the fine to take guys like McDavid, Crosby and Ovechkin out. What's 5k to them?

Apparently Lucic would have totally within his rights if he had done that to McDavid after Conner gave him a little shot for slew-footing Draisaitl.

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
I can’t think of one Oiler fan that supported Kassian after he kicked another player

See, that’s kind of what I am curious about, and I agree wholeheartedly.

I was around for the Bryan Marchment days, and that was a tough pill to swallow for a ton of Oiler fans.

snag

Feb 22, 2014
See, that’s kind of what I am curious about, and I agree wholeheartedly.

I was around for the Bryan Marchment days, and that was a tough pill to swallow for a ton of Oiler fans.

Him going into the gate the way he did though left me feeling for the guy.

Reactions: Ol' Jase

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
When Kassian kicked at that dude I wanted to fling him into the sun. There have been times shit has been over the line and I've been less than a fan.

Tom Wilson is that times 10. I wouldn't enjoy him.

Reactions: Ol' Jase

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Wilson could’ve killed Panarin, and that’s not hyperbole. When a “tough guy” goes after small skill players like that who play honest games, I have zero respect for them. Punching Buchnevic in the crease was no big deal to me, but the body slam of a helmetless Panarin honestly make me a little angry at Wilson.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Kassian is the closest, and I'd say the kicking incident gives you a clear view of how (little) the fan base supported him in a similar situation.

Though Kassian in his time as an Oiler has kept these antics to guys his own size. He'll get into it with Tkachuk or Cernak, but he's not a guy to randomly jump and cheap shot Gaudreau after a whistle. That's what Wilson did here.

Reactions: JBear

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I’d like to say we as a collective would not defend Wilson if he was an Oiler. While I believe the majority in this day and age wouldn’t be too quick to defend his actions this is still a club that’s had Messier, McSorley, Tikkanen, Marchment, Torres, Pronger etc. Players who made a career playing on the line and sometimes drastically crossing it.

Reactions: oljimmy

space321

May 11, 2011
I’d like to say we as a collective would not defend Wilson if he was an Oiler. While I believe the majority in this day and age wouldn’t be too quick to defend his actions this is still a club that’s had Messier, McSorley, Tikkanen, Marchment, Torres, Pronger etc. Players who made a career playing on the line and sometimes drastically crossing it.

Times change. Back then everyone was praising Scott Stevens for murdering people. Nowadays as we learn more and more about the dangers of head injuries, the sport needs to change and protect its players. Hopefully fans also change what they perceive as acceptable violent behaviour.

Honestly for me personally, I'd like to see fighting get a harsher penalty (like automatic match penalty) because seeing Khaira get downed like that out of a nothing play was really unsettling. Yeah 10 years ago I loved seeing MacIntyre KO Ivanas, but nowadays I can do without that in this game. If I wanted to watch violence I'd watch MMA.

Instead, I want to watch skill and speed, I want to watch players play hockey, I'm no longer here to watch them beat the brains out of each other.

fireantz

Mar 15, 2007
I’m one of those guys that believes the rules in the book should be called as written(charging, cross checking etc). I’m not totally aware of the NHL rule book but CHA rules would view his treatment of Panarin as an attempt to injure, hence game or gross misconduct and multiple game suspension.

Reactions: Giggleplex

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
You can make an argument about Marchment (low hits) and possibly Torres (head hits were legal when he started playing and he didn’t change as the rules changed) but Messier, McSorley and Tikkanen (who was a pest but never injured anybody) played in an era where it was largely “get them before they get you.” Pronger played on the edge and went over it at times but was nothing extreme. And I don’t remember any Of them picking on someone outside their weight class. As someone said earlier, Wilson hurting Panarin is like Kassian snapping and body slamming Gaudrau. I don’t recall any Oiler being in a similar situation.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
You can make an argument about Marchment (low hits) and possibly Torres (head hits were legal when he started playing and he didn’t change as the rules changed) but Messier, McSorley and Tikkanen (who was a pest but never injured anybody) played in an era where it was largely “get them before they get you.” Pronger played on the edge and went over it at times but was nothing extreme. And I don’t remember any Of them picking on someone outside their weight class. As someone said earlier, Wilson hurting Panarin is like Kassian snapping and body slamming Gaudrau. I don’t recall any Oiler being in a similar situation.

Maybe you're only talking about his time in Edmonton here, but Pronger did stomp on a guy (even if it was only Ryan Kesler).

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Maybe you're only talking about his time in Edmonton here, but Pronger did stomp on a guy (even if it was only Ryan Kesler).
I don’t consider Kesler to be a skill guy playing an honest game like Panarin. Kesler lived by the sword.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
I haven't liked Wilson since his first season. Even before he made it to the NHL I wasn't sure about the guy. He's a predatory player who clearly doesn't have respect for other players. He also seems to like hurting other players and I haven't seen any genuine remorse from him on any of the shit he's pulled. Dangerous player.

That said he's effective, can score and can play in the top 6. Obviously he's a valuable player to have on your team especially in the playoffs. But yeah, I would be embarrassed if he was on the team I cheer for. Kassian does some cringe-worthy stuff but he keeps it to a minimum now, and you know he at least has a heart and isn't a sociopath. With Wilson I'm not so sure.

ZenOil

Fast Twitch Hitch
Sep 23, 2010
Vancouver
I'd want him off the team. Hockey is a great game without thuggery. It's all culture. Other contact sports don't deal with these displays of unhinged violence....rubs off on kids too.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
This org acquired Zach Kassian who had mangled Sam Gagner in a non hockey play. Had acquired Brandon Manning who tried to end Connor McDavids hockey career and laughed about it and admitted to TRYING to seriously injure McDavid. The org made Connor play with that player, on the same club.

Neither the Caps, or Wilson, are worse than what this org has hired. We've also acquired and retained players that physically assaulted people in public, people like Lucic or Eager.

ftr I felt Kassian kicking the Tampa player with his skate was deplorable, and Kassian particularly has a penchant for injuring with gross misconduct in non hockey related plays. The org rewarded that kind of play with a career high contract and overpay.

There could be fans of orgs that speak of Wilson conduct and question how they would perceive it. I don't know that we are that fan base or that there is that much question. Change the logo and it seems people accept the behavior.

Never wanted Lucic or Kassian or Eager here.
The player Wilson most reminds me of who was an Oiler is Raffi Torres. Actually a real skilled player if he wanted to be, but just an absolute piece of trash on the ice who cared more about causing serious injuries to opponents than he did scoring goals. You can add him to the list of undistinguished Oilers from the past.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I wasnt really saying Jesse is a dirty player. I think you read that too literally. Actually I'm not sure what you read. I just mentioned Jesse.

I'm just saying Jesse's ass checks and size have been effective enough without being an agitator.
Then why would you even bring him into a conversation relating to Tom Wilson and his jackass antics? Such an odd comparison to make.

Reactions: BoldNewLettuce

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Had it been anyone other than Wilson it would barely be talked about. He should have been issued 5 and a game. I don’t think it was suspendible. He lost it in a scrum. It’s major penalty worthy but worse things happen all the time.

Reactions: McWeber

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Had it been anyone other than Wilson it would barely be talked about. He should have been issued 5 and a game. I don’t think it was suspendible. He lost it in a scrum. It’s major penalty worthy but worse things happen all the time.

I think anyone deliberately attempting to injure a superstar player (and succeeding) would be news, the fact he's a scumbag with a rap sheet just make sit worse.

Reactions: Samus44

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge
I know I'm in the minority but if Wilson was wearing an Oiler Jersey when he did this I would be okay with it. So long as the refs are going to turn a blind eye as our guys take non stop abuse then I would like to have the top scumbag in the league driving other teams crazy. Though I'd much prefer refs just call penalties so it's not necessary.

Reactions: ujju2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad