What if there were still only 21 teams ?

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
What would a league wide re draft look like if there were still only 21 teams?
Teams would be stacked for sure .

Once Vegas starts playing thats 31 - 23 man rosters or 713 NHL roster players.
With 21 teams there would only be 483 roster players. About 30 percent less players. That's a lot of names. With the way these guys stay in shape all year round unlike years ago this league could be crazy crazy good.. Can you make a list of 230 NHL players that would not be in the league?
More realistic is a 21 team draft. Any 21 team names will do.
Anyone feel like setting this up? I would never be able to organize this
If not ,it was just a passing thought about our watered down league that used to be very exciting.
Now, not as much.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Wow, that is a lot to think about. No Sharks, no Senators or Lightning. No Manon Rheaume playing in an exhibition game. No Nashville Preds (my team). Maybe the North Stars don't move to Dallas. Even if they still did, there would be no Wild. No Thrashers or Blue Jackets.

People not in the NHL: Mike Ribeiro, Yannick Weber, Marek Mazenec, Matt Carle and Anthony Bitetto.

Ermo20

Feb 29, 2016
South Carolina
This is an interesting thought. It would be fun to do a draft like this, I'd have the time to organize such a thing, we'd just need some more interest.

Just to be clear, this is a 21-team redraft, with team allegiances from 1990? All current NHL players are up for redraft? Just making sure that's what you're talking about.

EDIT: I'd love to start something like this. I'd like 21 different GMs, so we may not be able to start for weeks until there's enough interest. I'd like people to post in this thread if they're interested, and if I can get enough I'll start the thread and it will be official. But I don't think this will happen if there isn't enough interest. I'd like this to be a large game, with a draft and maybe some kind of GM game and offseason too.

Last edited:

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
This is an interesting thought. It would be fun to do a draft like this, I'd have the time to organize such a thing, we'd just need some more interest.

Just to be clear, this is a 21-team redraft, with team allegiances from 1990? All current NHL players are up for redraft? Just making sure that's what you're talking about.

Yes my new friend . That's pretty much it .
When I said any 21 teams would do I now realize it would just seem a little off base if
Teams like the islanders or the Bruins etc were left out. So yes , use Colorado ,Carolina, and Dallas
For Quebec, Hartford , and Minnesota.
Leave Winnipeg in and that would make 21 . No disrespect to all the rest .
All current NHL players to choose from.
Should be some stacked teams .

Ermo20

Feb 29, 2016
South Carolina
Yes my new friend . That's pretty much it .
When I said any 21 teams would do I now realize it would just seem a little off base if
Teams like the islanders or the Bruins etc were left out. So yes , use Colorado ,Carolina, and Dallas
For Quebec, Hartford , and Minnesota.
Leave Winnipeg in and that would make 21 . No disrespect to all the rest .
All current NHL players to choose from.
Should be some stacked teams .

I would prefer to keep Quebec, Hartford, Minnesota, and Winnipeg for current franchises but it would really be up to the GM of that team I guess. Having come up with the idea, would you like to participate in this?

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
With 4 kids I no longer follow all the action throughout the league. Pretty much I stay in tune with the Isles only . But if needed I would take a team. I have never participated in any of the HF drafts of any kind
I can guarentee I would not take Josh Bailey. Ha ha

Ermo20

Feb 29, 2016
South Carolina
I'll start a separate thread for this game. Sign up in there or in here. I expect this to take a while to fill up, but we'll see.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
21 teams? If the cap went to 100m, there might only be 15 teams top that would not lose money.
You could almost go back the original six and add Philly, Pittsburg, St Louis....maybe that's iy.
Bettman's vision of a continent wide NHL fan base has/will not materialize.

The NHLPA and team owners seemingly can't have contraction.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad