What if the Red Wings were able to hold on to Hudler and Filpulla?

Lolonegoal

Jan 25, 2012
This thought crossed my mind today on their roster with them still included. They have essentially been replaced in roles with the younger and potentially more skilled Nyquist and Tatar but the thought is interesting. The two left supposively seeking more of a primary role on their team and have achieved such. Hudler has 124 pts in 169 games in Calgary and Flip has 97 in 132 games in Tampa, both at a 60 game point season pace.

Now the next question is how would Detroit fit this under their cap, especially since (in Flips case) they were asking for more. Well my theory is placed in that position Detroit would of been wiser with their salary, and wouldn't have felt so desperate to use it. Last year for example they would have no need to have signed Alfredsson or Weiss.

Right now they have just under 2 mil in cap space and Flip and Hudler have a hit of 5 and 4 mil respectively and lets add another $1,000,000 each for incentive to stay in Detroit. So then we need to free up 9 mil. Let's say they don't sign Weiss caus there's no need for him (+4.9), and don't have the option of resigning the horrible Cleary (2.5) and Quincey contracts (4.25).

That frees up 11.65 mil and would leave a roster like this:

Zetterberg - Datysuk - Nyquist
Tatar - Flippula - Hudler
Abdelkader - Helm - Franzen
Jurco - Sheahan - Gledinning/Anderson

Kronwall - Ericsson
Smith - Dekeyser
Ouellette - Kindl

Where would this line up rank in the current NHL?

Last edited:

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
xL41GB4.jpg

Eggberto

Oct 26, 2013
This is just logistics but hudler isn't a center.

Also Flip wanted out of Detroit, and to be honest his shtick was getting old here in my eyes. I felt the change of pace was good for both parties even if Weiss hasn't exactly lit the world on fire (yet?).

I will entertain the idea that keeping hudler may make this team better, but when it's all said and done neither of those players address the lackadaisical defense SO I personally don't think things would be too different.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
We would have way too much money locked up in the forwards in that scenario. Sure it looks nice on paper but you gotta spend a bit on the defense as well.

JFHockey

Nov 8, 2014
Calgary
Detroit don't deserve Hudler. He's a 1/2nd line player that they insisted on treating like a 3rd line player and wanted to pay like a 3rd line player. I was thrilled when the flames picked him up as a FA and have been smiling ever since.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
They never would've been as good as they are for their new teams in Detroit because they were some combination of 1) not consistent enough for Babcock ("everydayer" is his term for it) 2) not competitive enough physically 3) not big enough. Without looking at the stats I'm pretty sure Hudler was a corsi darling and had probably the best P/60 on the Wings when he was with Detroit because Babs never really gave him a chance at being a regular in the top 6 despite his obvious offensive skill. As for Flip, he was given ample opportunity to be the team's 2C but never really earned it, and I'm pretty sure Babs let him know that he wasn't happy about that. I say that because he left Detroit's reported offer of 7 years x $5M on the table to sign with Tampa for a 5x5 contract.

So basically, yeah it would've been great for forward depth but guys like Tatar and Nyquist have basically already replaced their presence on the Wings, and players like Mantha, Larkin, Pulkkinen, etc. will need spots in the not so distant future, so no biggie.

Last edited:

icKx

Vanek 4 Prez
May 7, 2010
Intertubes
Sheahan as a 4C? He's been deployed as a 2C and is thriving. He is going to be an integral piece of this team moving forward.

I liked both Flip and Huds, but they weren't going to get the minutes under Babcock and wanted out, understandable.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Players leaving, getting more minutes, and becoming more important players is a common characteristic of teams with good depth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad