CFL: What if the league tried NFL rules for a season?

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
Obviously it would never happen, but the reason why so many people I ask (usually millenials) why they dont like the CFL is because of the different rules. The majority of the people I ask say they prefer the NFL rules to the CFLs. They usually say this before they say anything about the talent level.

If the league experimented with NFL style rules, do you think it would make a difference in popularity?

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
The reason why the CFL struggles in the larger centres (Toronto, BC, Montreal) is because it's not the top football league in the world (i.e. not the NFL). Has nothing to do with the rules.

Professional 4 down non-NFL football has been played in Canada before. The Montreal Machine says hello. 2 years later it said goodbye. The Alouettes despite their struggles as of late will play their 25th consecutive season this year.

3 down rules are not going anywhere.

Last edited:

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
60% of the leagues season tickets holders cancel the next day. Myself included.

CFL is a better game to watch despite not having the top athletes due to rules.

People have been talking about the demise of the CFL for 40 years. It's not going anywhere UNLESS they do something this stupid and it ends within a year or two if they do.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Popularity with the existing fan base would fall off a cliff. So yes, it would make a significant negative difference.

I still don't know why predicting the CFL's imminent demise remains a thing. The league has probably never been on more stable financial footing. The harebrained American expansion is the only thing that nearly did actually kill the league; it has been about 25 years since there was actually any chance at all the league's existence could cease.

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018
I'm a millennial and I love the CFL rules. If you say you're a football fan, then that means you love all football.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
NFL should look at some of the rules the CFL has. Might make their game more enjoyable.

The majority of people only watch NFL because they have money bet on games or they play fantasy football.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
I love the CFL rules. It fits really well with the league to make the product entertaining. Also love the NFL rules for their league.

Keep em’ the way they are

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad