Speculation: What if Team Canada played in the NHL?

winterpeg

Sharp Dressed Man
Feb 20, 2013
Winnipeg
Suppose the Jets released their whole line-up and replaced them with Team Canada from the Olympics. How would they do?

They would win the stanley cup this year and then have a fire sale in the off season because we would be way over cap.

But at least we would have a better goalie!

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
They would have to be traded away before the trade deadline to be able to fit underneath the salary cap.:sarcasm:

edit ..... maybe

Crosby for Tangradi
Toews for Wright
Benn for Halischuck

and Weber for Postma to start

Edit 2 we would have to buy out Loungo in the off season as well

Last edited:

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
If you put any half decent NHL team in the Olympics, they would almost certainly win gold. You'll see 2 or 3 solid games in the olympics amongst a whole lot of garbage. That being said, the major factor would be that the NHL team had 6 months to play as a team. You put that Team Canada together for any length of time they would be unbeatable at the NHL level.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
They would have to be traded away before the trade deadline to be able to fit underneath the salary cap.:sarcasm:

edit ..... maybe

Crosby for Tangradi
Toews for Wright
Benn for Halischuck

and Weber for Postma to start

Edit 2 we would have to buy out Loungo in the off season as well

The cap would not be an issue. They all renegotiated contracts just to play for the Golden Jets. The showers would have solid gold fixtures. The benches in the dressing room would be made of gold. Doorknobs would be made from diamonds and gold.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
The cap would not be an issue. They all renegotiated contracts just to play for the Golden Jets. The showers would have solid gold fixtures. The benches in the dressing room would be made of gold. Doorknobs would be made from diamonds and gold.

I would still buy out Loungo.............

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
If the other teams lose their stars to Team Canada.

76-5-1 for 153 points

If players are replicated

67-11-4 for 138 points

They likely get lazy and lose a few games.

Lose no more than two all playoffs long. Could very well go undefeated.

Samcanadian

Dec 13, 2011
If you put any half decent NHL team in the Olympics, they would almost certainly win gold. You'll see 2 or 3 solid games in the olympics amongst a whole lot of garbage. That being said, the major factor would be that the NHL team had 6 months to play as a team. You put that Team Canada together for any length of time they would be unbeatable at the NHL level.

You can't think of it as how an NHL team would fare in the olympics, but rather what that roster would do in the NHL.

When you have the best players in the world on one team, that team is going to be dominant regardless of how long it takes them to hit their stride. I could easily see them finish the season with under 10 losses.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
It wouldn't be enjoyable to watch after like 10 games.
Imagine Team Canada's third and fourth line matched up against an average NHL teams.

Just Ducky

Jan 8, 2012
They would win in every single category both team and individual. Drop St L for Stamkos just to watch him cry.

winterpeg

Sharp Dressed Man
Feb 20, 2013
Winnipeg
Also for those making the salary cap comment I believe as per olympic broadcasts and tweets the Cap hit of team canada is between 140 and 150 million. So just over double the actual salary cap after next year.

So we could keep the young players we wanted to build a dynasty around and trade away the veterans for a whole lot of firsts, and be competitive now, (keep the best goaltending and the best 'build around' players) and have 3 firsts in every draft for the next 10 years.

Last edited by a moderator:

JSR84

Displaced Jets fan.
May 31, 2011
Victoria
They would suck, they cant play on the small ice... Oh wait have that backwards... Oh yeah, they can play on any ice surface they want by playing a trap...em in and not let them touch the puck system.

I think they would do pretty good.

videofarmer

thirsty
Sep 11, 2009
ATL

I'm thinking the players are all going to leave once they hear about the golden showers...

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I'm thinking the players are all going to leave once they hear about the golden showers...

:laugh:

So you fall off the map.....go dark on us.....and this is your comeback post Videofarmer?? :sarcasm:

Where have you been.....what do you think of Trouba and Scheifele this season?

videofarmer

thirsty
Sep 11, 2009
ATL
:laugh:

So you fall off the map.....go dark on us.....and this is your comeback post Videofarmer?? :sarcasm:

Where have you been.....what do you think of Trouba and Scheifele this season?

:) I still read the boards but I don't chime in much this season because I cancelled Game Center after the first couple weeks and used that money for the (now monthly) fee for Adobe Creative Cloud. So obviously I haven't caught many Jets games this season here in Atlanta. Seems like Trouba and Scheifele are on the rise! Without watching much for myself, I can't comment competently though. I've ended up catching a lot of 'Canes games (a lot like watching Thrashers games) and Predators games since they are free, as well as a couple games a week on NBCsn. Sorry, not much to report. You guys are still the best board though!

I might sign up for Game Center again next season, I can afford it now if I want to, but aside from trying to responsibly budget, the quality of the streams are really just kind of annoying. They need to step up their game. Too many freezes and too many times the streams start after the games start. Also annoying is that the Winnipeg feed is one of the strictest in that they always cut away to the NHL logo for anything that isn't part of the actual game, like the commercials, the commentary at the top, end and during intermissions. Most of the other teams just let that stuff stream.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad