What if someone offered sheeted Marner

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
Looking back at the season and the way things played out.

What happens if a team offered sheeted Marner over 10 million and the Leafs took the 5 1st.

The Leafs wouldn't have had to deal Kadri would have had the 13th pick plus the offer sheet teams 1st. Plus 11 million in cap space they would have used over the summer or winter to put a better team on the ice.

I wish the Leafs would have called Marner camp bluff and a team offeresheeted him.

What teams were rumored to have had an interest in an offer sheet. I think it was the Wild and Blue Jackets.

Imagine the cap space, picks, and more balanced team. Who could the Leafs have signed as UFA to help on D and top 6?

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Since the Leafs paid Marner 11 million on their own accord, an offer sheet was never going to be considered. 10 million offer sheet actually would have saved us a little.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015

What happens if a team offered sheeted Marner over 10 million and the Leafs took the 5 1st.

The Leafs wouldn't have had to deal Kadri would have had the 13th pick plus the offer sheet teams 1st. Plus 11 million in cap space they would have used over the summer or winter to put a better team on the ice.

I wish the Leafs would have called Marner camp bluff and a team offeresheeted him.

What teams were rumored to have had an interest in an offer sheet. I think it was the Wild and Blue Jackets.

Imagine the cap space, picks, and more balanced team. Who could the Leafs have signed as UFA to help on D and top 6?
Looking at, Dubas should have done what Benning did with Boeser, signed and traded for teams need and by the end, just show Marner, thats only certain money left, sign a bridge deal for this much or sign offer sheet and play else where

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
No team would have offer sheeted Marner for 4 1sts in a million years.

Aho had very similar production (a little less points, a little more goals, worse supporting cast) and nobody would offer him more than what would cost ONE first round pick... let alone (lol) four.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I don't know that essentially trading away one of the team's most productive players simply for futures would have gone over well initially for a team trying to contend. A 4.5 M 3C stuck behind two, big money centres still seems like a luxury when there was a hole on the blueline. Sure, finishing where the team did and having the 13th overall is better than the current situation. However, it isn't better than still playing games right now, and that should have been the expectation.

There are a lot of considerations here. It's tough to say, but I'm not certain that not signing a contract altogether would have outright been better than signing a contract that wasn't quite what I had imagined/hoped for. Can't imagine a four firsts offer sheet happening anyway though.

Last edited:

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

There is still a chance for Dubas to redeem himself. Pull the trigger on a good offer.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Didn't marner make it fairly clear that he had no intention of signing an offer sheet?
..... no. After after the Leafs signed him, Marner said that he received offersheets but didnt even let his agent tell him what the offer was for because he wanted to be a leaf.

My guess is the agent was like you received an offer for much less than your asking and from X team, to which Marner was upset about the amount being not close to Matthews and said i dont even want to hear it (due to money not due to loyalty).

I mean lets be honest.... if it was for 11 million plus his agent would most definitely have told him.

Reactions: Throw More Waffles

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I don't know that essentially trading away one of the team's most productive players simply for futures would have gone over well initially for a team trying to contend. A 4.5 M 3C stuck behind two, big money centres still seems like a luxury when there was a hole on the blueline. Sure, finishing where the team did and having the 13th overall is better than the current situation. However, it isn't better than still playing games right now, and that should have been the expectation.

There are a lot of considerations here. It's tough to say, but I'm not certain that not signing a contract altogether would have outright been better than signing a contract that wasn't quite what I had imagined/hoped for.
This is a huge what if situation that it could have gone in many ways.
For starter, Marner signed with some teams and Leafs get 4 1sts. What would Dubas do with those picks?
Would Marleau still be traded?
Lets assumer Marleau and Kadri both stayed, then the Leafs would not make the Avs trade thus would have 5.75mil(Barrie and Kerfoot) cap money to sign a Dman, like Myers for 6mil-same contract he signed with Nucks.
Is Myers a 1st pairing Dman?
Despite his size, he is not a physical or a shutdown Dman like Muz.
Or
Maybe Dubas didn't make the Zai trade and resign Hainsy for 1 more year.
The lineup will look like this when Hyman comes back from injury
Hyman-AM-Willie
AJ-JT-Kap
Marleau-Kadri-Brown
Soup-Spezza-Moore
Goat

Reilly-Hainsy
Muz-Zai
Marincin-Holl
Sandin
As Dermott is injured

If thats the roster starting the season, I think we all will be saying should have traded Marleau and Zai and kept Marner. But if you are looking at this line up today, we might think they might actually get to face and lose to TB.

Also about which team did Marner signed, if it is the Rangers, then WOW, Leafs just got Laf. Then again, it really depends where those 4 1st end up being.

Reactions: Buds17

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
This is a huge what if situation that it could have gone in many ways.
For starter, Marner signed with some teams and Leafs get 4 1sts. What would Dubas do with those picks?
Would Marleau still be traded?
Lets assumer Marleau and Kadri both stayed, then the Leafs would not make the Avs trade thus would have 5.75mil(Barrie and Kerfoot) cap money to sign a Dman, like Myers for 6mil-same contract he signed with Nucks.
Is Myers a 1st pairing Dman?
Despite his size, he is not a physical or a shutdown Dman like Muz.
Or
Maybe Dubas didn't make the Zai trade and resign Hainsy for 1 more year.
The lineup will look like this when Hyman comes back from injury
Hyman-AM-Willie
AJ-JT-Kap
Marleau-Kadri-Brown
Soup-Spezza-Moore
Goat

Reilly-Hainsy
Muz-Zai
Marincin-Holl
Sandin
As Dermott is injured

If thats the roster starting the season, I think we all will be saying should have traded Marleau and Zai and kept Marner. But if you are looking at this line up today, we might think they might actually get to face and lose to TB.

Also about which team did Marner signed, if it is the Rangers, then WOW, Leafs just got Laf. Then again, it really depends where those 4 1st end up being.

I think Marleau and Zaitsev are still traded. They requested trades; though I don't see Dubas retaining them anyway even if they hadn't. Very tough to know how the Leafs would have approached everything afterwards had the offersheet happened. Can't truly know the effect on the team that would have acquired Marner under this scenario either. The latter affects the return/picks. It's been a long time since such an offer was tendered, and not matched.

Reactions: Gabriel426

BrainyBomber

Apr 1, 2018
He was offer sheeted by Columbus and Minny he just didn't sign them and we don't know how much they were for.

Hope both are still interested and Dubas can move his one overpayment (admittedly a bad one).

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
He was offer sheeted by Columbus and Minny he just didn't sign them and we don't know how much they were for.

Hope both are still interested and Dubas can move his one overpayment (admittedly a bad one).

I'm certain it's much less than what the Leafs gave him, otherwise those numbers would have been leaked to make Marner look good...that he took a discount to stay with his hometown Leafs. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a similar offer to what Aho got from Montreal.

Reactions: MJK

BrainyBomber

Apr 1, 2018
We dealt Kadri the first day of offersheets. I doubt an offersheet changes that. Hell, we took on more cap with that trade than we traded out.
Not really because Barrie effectively took Hainsey's spot for 0.25m less. And we saved 1m on Kadri-Kerfoot.

Kadri would still have been dealt yes because Dubas was dead set on making cap room for Marner while trying to improve the D. Which went tits up unfortunately.

BrainyBomber

Apr 1, 2018
I'm certain it's much less than what the Leafs gave him, otherwise those numbers would have been leaked to make Marner look good...that he took a discount to stay with his hometown Leafs. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a similar offer to what Aho got from Montreal.
Good point. And I doubt anyone was/is stupid enough to surrender 4 firsts for Marner and both those teams were mediocre and going nowhere so they would project as decent/good picks.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Not really because Barrie effectively took Hainsey's spot for 0.25m less. And we saved 1m on Kadri-Kerfoot.

Kadri would still have been dealt yes because Dubas was dead set on making cap room for Marner while trying to improve the D. Which went tits up unfortunately.
You just bump up Liljegren to the 3rd pairing instead of getting Barrie. We took on more salary coming back than we sent out.

BrainyBomber

Apr 1, 2018
You just bump up Liljegren to the 3rd pairing instead of getting Barrie. We took on more salary coming back than we sent out.
Then it's basically a wash as it was a 2fer1 deal. Bodies matter.

Would have put Lilly a year closer to UFA and he would have been way over his head. I don't think he's even ready to start this year. The Marlies is best for his development. We need experienced Dmen starting.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Playing 'what-ifs' will drive you mad as a Leaf fan.

I'd advise against it.

Reactions: kb

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Then it's basically a wash as it was a 2fer1 deal. Bodies matter.

Would have put Lilly a year closer to UFA and he would have been way over his head. I don't think he's even ready to start this year. The Marlies is best for his development. We need experienced Dmen starting.
One, it doesn’t put Lilly any closer to UFA. He’ll be one in 6 years regardless. His ELC clock has started. Only person we started the clock on early was Sandin.

Barrie offered almost nothing outside of the PP, and Rielly/Muzzin in the top 2 units wouldn’t downgrade it. Barrie by the end of the year was shown not to fit with Rielly, and couldn’t handle tough minutes with Muzzin. In the first 2 games of the play-in we were using Barrie on the 3rd pairing whose only special teams duty was on the PP. I’d agree we should have veteran D-men, but Barrie is a tire fire defensively and he didn’t improve our offence. I honestly don’t think playing Liljegren in the 3rd pairing and not getting Barrie would make a sizable impact on our team. The only time Barrie was really of use was on the PP, which had just as much success with Rielly the previous 2 years.

cesareborgia

Jun 9, 2010
4 firsts for Marner would have been a dream. Should have called his camp's bluff. Could have went after Panarin immediately.

Instead, we all know what Mr "we can and we will" did.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad