NHL Entry Draft: "What If" selections

dathockeydoe

@dathockeydoe
Feb 16, 2015
SK
First things first.

I did not make this mock to be accurate. After reading plenty of those who make these mocks.. and those who comment. It seems like teams have fallen in love with a "certain pick" or a "certain order" of things. Drafting is not always what "makes sense" to the fans. Being a huge Flames fan, I was shocked when Calgary passed on hometown favorite Hunter Shinaruk to select off the board pick Emile Poirier. Love the selection now.

The point of this is to get fans to imagine "what if". IIIFFFFF they did make a selection like that, why would they do that? What would the team look like? So before you start commenting "THAT WOULD NEVER HAPPEN BECAUSEEEEEEE" just stop and let the selection sink in. Took some incredible bold risks in some places and not so much in others. It was fun though.

Let the opinions begin.

The simulator picked.....

1. :devils McDavid
2. :sabres Eichel – really aren't options. They've focused on the backend for years.
3. :edmonton Provorov – WHATTTTTT??? completeness. That's why. Scouts are gaining more confidence with him every day.
4. :coyotes Marner How do you pass on Strome or Hanifin here? You have been watching your prospects all year. That's how. You get a wonderful look at Marner.
5. :canes Hanifin. You want so badly to take Strome here.. but you can't.
6. :leafs Konecny Toronto fans look at Strome with this melting heart from the hometown boy. When an Ottawa 67 gets selected... everyone goes to youtube his highlights... go watch. Imagine him as a Leaf for years? Wouldn't that be fun? His level of skill simply makes him hard to pin down in this draft. It would be crazy to see Leafs select him but it would create much much excitement. “How good could Konecny be?â€
7. :cbj Rantanen. You pass on Strome. Why? Because Mikko is a big skilled winger. Plays the right side but you dream of him on the left. Jarmo looks at his Center prospects and passes on Strome. Big brother Ryan chuckles to himself just a tad.
8. :flyers Strome. There have been rumours for years that Philly has their young centres potentially on the block. With Strome available here, you might just see some other Philly players throw on jerseys for other teams...
9. :stars Barzal. Dallas passes on others to take a very good playmaker. Why not a D? Dallas has a sneakily good prospect pool there. WHY ANOTHER CENTRE? It's not about that at this point. You just simply covet the way he can distribute the puck when you have guys like Nichushkin and Ritchie on the wing. Having Spezza takes the pressure off for a bit. And the inner team has questions about Dickinson and Faksa...
10. :sens Werenski. This is just an interesting pick. This guy is solid. I don't know how much Sens fans have thought about having him would look like... but it's so comforting thinking about him on the Sens blueline. Like hugging a gigantic pillow. You instantly feel safer.
11. :avs Meier. Big, tough, Right Handed shot. You want to take a defenseman right? You passed on a nice prospect in 2013, you took a great all around prospect in Bleackley last year.. but with the type of defencemen available in the second round you take Meier. That team will be so skilled, fast, tough in their top 6.
12. :panthers Sprong. Florida is big. They are big down the middle. They have tons of size on the blue line. Sprong has such a quick release. He has things to work on that normally would push him further down the draft... but his offensive upside is unshakable and Florida falls in love with a potential top line RW. With the D prospects on their way I feel like he can be allowed to be a little more creative.
13. :sharks Crouse: Goldobin, Mueller, Bergman, Rod, Hertl.... lets break the drafting mold in San Jose shall we? Why not Crouse? Why not? Big. Strong. Talented. Fun to say. Sharks could really use some more back end prospects but Crouse simply brings a game that will be much appreciated.
14. :jets Zacha. He brings an element of skill and size that is hard to find. Winnipeg has confused their fans a little bit the past number of years but the city seems to have forgotten that with the development of their top end prospect talent. Excitement would be brewing and the “Burmistrov who?†chants would be interesting...
15. :canes White He's been grabbing comparisons to Bergeron and the simple truth of Carolina is that they could use a bit of help everywhere. The thing that makes White compelling is that he can play both C and RW. I feel like Carolina would never ever ever ever wanna trade this guy. Hurricane for life.
16. :flames Kylington As a Flames fan, this would be such a reach for Burke and company. This would be a wonderful risk though. I wouldn't even know how to wrap my brain around having him in the system. I just.. hmm.. ah... weird to think about. Imagine Hartley bag skating him in practices...
17. :nucks Chabot In the past, Canucks had a trend of taking the “sliders†of the drafts. They would select what others would pass on. This time around they have multiple options. As far as the blue line is concerned, Chabot is the opposite. After being benched early in the season, he has done anything and everything to prove his worth on the ice. The way he competes and has improved on both ends of the ice should be welcomed in Van land.
18. :bruins Merkley Have no specific comments here... except I would buy a Bruins Merkley jersey.
19. :wild Bracco The Wild forward system has tons of two way dependable forwards. Why not add an offensive threat to the mix? He is quick and very skilled. He may be small but quickly become loved. I'd watch a Bracco/Tuch combination.
20. :caps Connor Ovechkin storms in the room and yells “I TOLD YOU TO ONLY DRAFT EUROS IN ROUND ONE†They proceed tell him that Kyle's last name is actually Gustafsson.
21. :wings Carlo Dman? In the first round??? Not since Brendan Smith. But Carlo gives the Red Wings something they can't find the the later rounds. You can't miss him in the crowd.
22. :coyotes J. Roy They are continuing to stock the D cupboards. It would be tough to see him still available here but adds to the “excitement train†in the desert.
23. :edmonton Boeser He plays 2 ways. He plays 2 ways. He plays 2 ways. HE PLAYS 2 WAYS. HE IS A FIRST ROUND PICK THAT PLAYS TWO WAYS.
24. :sabres Svechnikov Quite the different player to make his way to Buffalo. He has a few different looks to his offensive game. With all the draft picks they've amassed, they've never really taken anyone like Evgeny.
25. :bolts Eriksson Ek I couldn't not place this player here. Tampa could use a few more young C and what an interesting choice this would make. What do you think Lightning fans? Is this more of a bold selection than DeAngelo was last year? About the same?
26. :jets Spencer This Dman brings a work ethic that is tough to match. This OHL beauty adds to the impressive future in the Peg. He is a tough guy to tangle with in his own zone.
27. :habs N. Roy If this happened, many Habs fans would be unhappy. They will have the same look on their face when McCarron's name was called...
28. :flyers Beauvillier This would be a fun draft for the Flyers. Fun fun fun. Add a couple of offensive leaders for the future. Look past his size and just embrace him.
29. :leafs G. Carlsson Leafs throw everything else out the window and whenever the media asks why Carlsson they say “He's 6'4. We like thatâ€. Let the opinions begin.
30. :ducks Harkins I tried to think outside the box. There are a number of choices here but I actually from the bottom of my heart think Harkins should be a Duck.

dathockeydoe

@dathockeydoe
Feb 16, 2015
SK
Cause I like Roy, Svechnikov and Harkins more than Chabot (in that order). We'd probably take Carlo before Chabot too

I feel ya. Regardless of who you like better though.. I think Chabot would be a good Canuck. He is rising fast and even though guys like Roy would be there (in this mock) I think Chabot is a strong selection.

Either way.. I think his effortless skating would add tons to Van blueline.

dathockeydoe

@dathockeydoe
Feb 16, 2015
SK
Haha. Please keep in mind... I think people are reading this without reading the opening statements. I am not claiming accuracy with this. I'm simply sharing alternate scenarios. And saying why logically it could possibly occur. It's to get people out of their box of "our team is taking this player no matter what" thinking.

What if your team passes on the guy you covet? (Nick Ritchie) for someone you possibly didn't expect? (Nylander)
What happens when your team decides to ignore Seth Jones in favour of Alexander Barkov.
It happens every year. Multiple times, for different reasons.

dathockeydoe

@dathockeydoe
Feb 16, 2015
SK
Seconded. Lol.

Watch Konecny. What if the Leafs win some games and magically pick 6th/7th? And then the 10th seeded team wins the lottery.

Would Konecny be someone on their radar? Skilled. Creative. What would he look like in a Toronto sweater?

It's just "what if" scenarios. I think Konecny/Nylander would be very fun to watch.

dathockeydoe

@dathockeydoe
Feb 16, 2015
SK
No he doesn't. Skating is probably his weakness

I should have been clearer. He knows how to play a speed game. The WJC helped him with that too, but his skating can improve for sure. I was thinking about the Avs system when I replied. I think with the way the Avs play Meier should be a welcome addition. Hard on the boards. Battles. Great release. Can contribute off the rush.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I was about to comment on how absurd this was, but then I remembered that I made an "off the beaten path" mock for the 2013 draft and I almost nailed the top-10 despite it being far from consensus.

It wouldn't be the end of the world for me if the Sharks took Crouse at 13, because that sounds about right to me (I just don't think he's top-ten material), but I would cry if we passed on Zacha for him. You mentioned the Sharks' early round drafting trends of late? Tons of Euros. Hertl, Mueller, Rod, Goldobin, and Bergman with 1st and 2nd round picks in the past three drafts. And since all these guys are progressing nicely, I don't see the need to change the trend. The Sharks have been an almost exclusively Canadian team for a decade, and obviously that hasn't worked. It would be nice to have some Euros for a change.

Edit: Here's the link if you're wondering. :naughty: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1450227&highlight=

Last edited:

dathockeydoe

@dathockeydoe
Feb 16, 2015
SK
I was about to comment on how absurd this was, but then I remembered that I made an "off the beaten path" mock for the 2013 draft and I almost nailed the top-10 despite it being far from consensus.

It wouldn't be the end of the world for me if the Sharks took Crouse at 13, because that sounds about right to me (I just don't think he's top-ten material), but I would cry if we passed on Zacha for him. You mentioned the Sharks' early round drafting trends of late? Tons of Euros. Hertl, Mueller, Rod, Goldobin, and Bergman with 1st and 2nd round picks in the past three drafts. And since all these guys are progressing nicely, I don't see the need to change the trend. The Sharks have been an almost exclusively Canadian team for a decade, and obviously that hasn't worked. It would be nice to have some Euros for a change.

Totally. I'm with you. I mentioned those things specifically for that reason. In the case that Zacha was there... their history would show he would be a target. Crouse would be off the path way indeed. But I wouldn't mind him on San Jose at all. They sure do like their big framed bodies.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
I could grow into Konecny. I think that is a great pick for the purpose of this thread.

Carlsson... oh my goodness that's terrifying because I can totally see that being their reasoning too. In fact they've used late round picks to take guys slightly off the board because they liked their size, recently.
Ask Tyler Biggs how's that going...

dathockeydoe

@dathockeydoe
Feb 16, 2015
SK
I could grow into Konecny. I think that is a great pick for the purpose of this thread.

Carlsson... oh my goodness that's terrifying because I can totally see that being their reasoning too. In fact they've used late round picks to take guys slightly off the board because they liked their size, recently.
Ask Tyler Biggs how's that going...

He is injured so he could be reading this right now with his spare time. shhh.
But exactly my point, even with new management they might take a risk on someone like that. There are plenty of Dmen available and I could have justified the pick for all sorts of reasons. Can't see how the leafs don't select a Dman though. It's just going to be whoever they think compliments their past picks (Percy, Valiev, Finn, Reilly)

But Carlsson is big, he is physical, he has tons of room to improve still. Seems quite smart. If all that is true, Toronto might really want him.

dathockeydoe

@dathockeydoe
Feb 16, 2015
SK
Nicolas Roy wont even sniff the first round...

Did you see my justification why though? He's a big centre which is something the Habs have little of. He still has tons of potential and Montreal scouts will have had plenty of time to look at him.

You don't think Montreal would consider him? Same way they looked at McCarron? It's possible for sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad