what if scenario with draft lottery

Richards18Forever

Nov 15, 2006
philadelphia
if we were to win the lottery and pick 1st, would you trade back at all to gain a couple more picks?

what's everyone's thoughts?

I love Nico, but we could use a big skilled center.
Would you just take Nolan?

Would you be happy picking Necas and adding a 2nd and a 3rd?

or trading back to 5th pick but dumping amac in the trade back?

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Hypothetically if you win and want to trade back, I better get more than a second and a third. To even move 2-3 spots down I'm asking for a high level prospect+that teams 1st and maybe even the first next year. You go for a haul. If you don't get it, draft nico and be happy.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
if we were to win the lottery and pick 1st, would you trade back at all to gain a couple more picks?

what's everyone's thoughts?

I love Nico, but we could use a big skilled center.
Would you just take Nolan?

Would you be happy picking Necas and adding a 2nd and a 3rd?

or trading back to 5th pick but dumping amac in the trade back?

We need quality a whole lot more than quantity at this point - I think that's a fair thing to say. So I personally wouldn't want to move back. But here are two caveats:

1. Say we get three assets back equal in value to something like Puljujarvi/M. Necas/J. Robertson - substitute any three names in there, I'm not hung up on specifics. What I mean is if we get a haul of high-end young quantity back because someone is in love with Nico/Nolan(/Heiskanan), then I'd think about it.

2. I trust our scouts and Hexy implicitly - if they chose to move back in that scenario, it would be because of the way they evaluated the pieces in play on the board. They are so good at this that - after possibly freaking out for 10 or 15 minutes - I'd take a deep breath and just leave it in their hands. If they think there isn't a ton of difference between the guy at #1 and #(whatever we would trade for), or in other words, if he valued the assets in the trade higher than the guy at #1, I'd be OK with it.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Yeah quality > quantity at this point.

Im also in favor of trading up in this draft. The pipeline is bursting but needs more elite talent.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Only way I do it is if AZ trades both firsts and their second. Take Mittelstadt with first pick, grab someone that falls with second pick, and pick up another decent player with that extra second.

flyersfan018

Mar 2, 2011
NJ
Hypothetically if you win and want to trade back, I better get more than a second and a third. To even move 2-3 spots down I'm asking for a high level prospect+that teams 1st and maybe even the first next year. You go for a haul. If you don't get it, draft nico and be happy.

This was pretty much my thoughts. Demand a kings ransom and if Hexy doesn't get any bites, just stay with the pick.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Id be curious to see how they fit Nico or Nolan in next year.

We are getting close to the point where we are going to have to make some decisions with our forwards, and not just that clutch of guys in and around the 4th line (although that herd needs thinning). I was thinking about this today when the guys on here were talking about Vorobyov's readiness - we aren't going to necessarily have to do anything just to fit him in, but pretty soon we are going to be facing a logjam.

Lindblom - G - Jake
Weise - Couts - Schenn
Konecny - Flip - Simmer
All the 4th liners + Weal

Flip will be gone after this year, which opens up a spot, but they are going to be coming pretty fast after that, potentially, and we have some guys on long contracts up there. I'm not gung-ho or necessarily eager about moving the core or anything, that's not the point I am making here - just that it's hard to see how the numbers work out in the medium and long term.

daynus

Nov 25, 2002
Good Ole Saskatchewan
Visit site
I would go hischer or trade down for mittlestad. I would ask for a third this year and a second next year. Gotta load up for 18 draft. Then move some for an early second if we are in love with someone, and more picks for 18.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Win the lottery, and you don't draft for need. In fact, you don't ever draft for need. But at 1OV, you draft the best player, period, end of conversation.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Win the lottery, and you don't draft for need. In fact, you don't ever draft for need. But at 1OV, you draft the best player, period, end of conversation.

So if AZ offered you 4, 21, and 34 you wouldn't do that? Not saying AZ would but if they really like Patrick they might be willing to deal that. You grab Mittelstadt, Vesalainen, and maybe a guy like Yamamoto falls to early second. I'd like our prospect pool like that more than just Patrick.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
You wouldn't get an offer worth moving the pick. Extra picks this year doesn't do it. The Flyers have enough depth in the pipeline. They need potential difference makers. So you sit back & take Hischier who's the best prospect in this draft.

Nice things don't happen to this city so it's all a moot point anyway.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
I really like Vilardi, so if we had the first overall pick, I wouldn't have a problem trading down if a team is dying to draft Hischier or Patrick. I get the same feeling with Vilardi that I did with Draisaitl in 2014 in the sense that he has a greater chance of becoming the best player in the draft than he gets credit for.

I actually get a really similar vibe with most of the top ten forwards that I did in '14 with no player really separating from the pack but a deep run of talented players and a variety of skill sets. Some rough comparisons:

Patrick -- Reinhart
Hischier -- Bennett
Vilardi -- Draisaitl
Mittelstadt -- Dal Colle
Tippett -- Virtanen (lol)
Nylander -- Pettersson
Larkin -- Glass

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
The what-if scenario if we got the 3rd pick, on the draft thread, is more interesting (besides more likely). At that point the two main centers are gone. Then you have a pretty equal field, and top guys like Mittelstadt and Vilardi have question marks at center......former very likely to be a winger despite playing center, the latter could be a center but has played mostly wing. Glass might be the most natural center out of the rest of the top 10-ish if we traded down. Obviously you go BPA, even if a winger, but unless they have someone clearly 3, it'd be an intriguing scenario.

Or we trade down and take Rasmussen........

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
In all honesty, if we get the top 2, we use it for Patrick/Hischier. If we get only 3rd, I'd maybe say we do one of 2 things: draft Vilardi/Mittelstadt or trade down to a lower pick for someone like Glass and get someone else in the process. Maybe get a few other picks for it as well.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
At this point, I want quality over quantity unless it was something insane.

I would rather take who we think will be the best player. And assuming that's a C, it gives that guy 1 year to develop more and then step into Flips role the following year. Then hopefully bump G down after that.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
The problem is for center is that we have Rubtsov and Voro coming in as well, who could be our 3C and 4C for the future. In all honesty, I'd love a legit goal scoring winger at this point.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
The problem is for center is that we have Rubtsov and Voro coming in as well, who could be our 3C and 4C for the future. In all honesty, I'd love a legit goal scoring winger at this point.

So what?

If we have the chance to add a #1 C that can be a 65-75 point guy, you take him. Rubstov can play wing. Vorobyov can be the 4th line C and if he keeps improving, that's a great issue to have.

Remember, Simmonds possibly leaves in 2 years, Schenn in 3 so we need guys ready to replace them. If We take a scoring winger at #13, I am fine with that. If we won the lottery, we should be drafting the best player who is a C.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad