What if Melnyk Didn't Die?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lancepitlick

Nov 20, 2016
This isn't meant in poor taste, but what was the possible end game if Melnyk didn't kick the bucket? It seems likely the GM would still be a floundering Dorion, though he'd probably be getting fired around now. The rebuild is a failure. The FYOUS, when Euge planned to spend and presumably see higher revenues from attendance bump/playoffs, doesn't happen. So Melnyk is broke, the team sucks, it's nearly at the cap and can't afford buyouts. Players likely want out.

What on earth was Melnyk's end game? Just keep being Harold Ballard, but cheaper, for another 10-15 years? Does he eventually sell just to stay solvent?

He wasn't that old when he kicked the bucket, so kind of curious what might have happened?

If you think it's bad now, imagine the alternative timeline.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
This isn't meant in poor taste, but what was the possible end game if Melnyk didn't kick the bucket? It seems likely the GM would still be a floundering Dorion, though he'd probably be getting fired around now. The rebuild is a failure. The FYOUS, when Euge planned to spend and presumably see higher revenues from attendance bump/playoffs, doesn't happen. So Melnyk is broke, the team sucks, it's nearly at the cap and can't afford buyouts. Players likely want out.

What on earth was Melnyk's end game? Just keep being Harold Ballard, but cheaper, for another 10-15 years? Does he eventually sell just to stay solvent?

He wasn't that old when he kicked the bucket, so kind of curious what might have happened?

If you think it's bad now, imagine the alternative timeline.
Probably would have move to Quebec

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
This isn't meant in poor taste

but it is…

1710730233173.gif

lang006

Jan 2, 2020
It would be way worse to be honest. We don’t know how lucky we are. It’s hard to be patient because it’s been so long but it will turn around. When? I don’t know but it will. Smarter business people are now being put in place. shit contracts will come off the books someway or another and it’s critical to start spending smartly and not hand out non movement clauses like candy on Halloween night

Reactions: lancepitlick

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Pierre McGuire would be the GM.

You'd definitely be hearing about how the Sens are looking to cut costs this summer. No way would Melnyk be interested in paying Chabot [10M], Norris [9.5M], Chychrun [7M], Korpisalo [5M] the kind of coin they're set to make in what is probably another non-playoff season.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
There are the theoreticals, and the things I know to be true.

1. I can speculate that the team would be continuing its spiral into pathetic laughingstock Harold Ballard like years.

2. I know I wouldn’t have re-purchased my season tickets.

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007

You'd definitely be hearing about how the Sens are looking to cut costs this summer. No way would Melnyk be interested in paying Chabot [10M], Norris [9.5M], Chychrun [7M], Korpisalo [5M] the kind of coin they're set to make in what is probably another non-playoff season.
Funny enough. Would that actually make things worse than they are now?

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
What's funny is that an article popped up on my radar today on an unrelated matter that made me think of old Euge and our old way of doing business.

There's been a few articles about Nelson Peltz these days, as he's in a battle with the CEO of Disney as he tries to land more board seats to get more control.

It's relevant to the Sens, as Peltz was a rumoured investor for Melnyk back about 10-15 years ago. Then, Ottawa ueed a draft pick to claim Brad Peltz, who was not on anyone's radar and was clearly a favor from one rich guy to another. For those that don't remember, Peltz was technically part of the Sens farm system, but he had about a dozen games for Elmira,got called up to play in Binghamton, but was a healthy scratch for that time. Likely because a rich kid couldn't slum it in the ECHL.

Brad Peltz is in the news this week with an article in the WSJ about his father. The fathers investment company is apparently struggling as it's been looking at a poor performance history, and facing criticism that a lot of the senior executives are made up of Peltz family members, including "former professional hockey player" Brad Peltz.

So, just a reminder that while things are bad, at least we're not giving out draft pick slots for billionaire friends.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Lol, it would be worse than it looks. Way worse, if that can even be comprehended.

Bad drama was always made much much worse under his regime in the last ~10 years. During his last years with the illness, it was basically a gong show top to bottom.

As an aside though, I'd bet DJ wouldn't have made it in to this last season as he likely would have forced Dorion's hand.

I don't know if this is supposed to be a joke, but this seems like a pretty accurate possible scenario.

Dorion would have run out his welcome with Melnyk with all the bad money, then Maguire would be put in charge, but by then, Melnyk would be upset about the bottom line again and still losing. He would surely want to cut costs as the priority again at that point. Meanwhile, the arena is still empty.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad