Speculation: What If Jaromir Jagr Never Left?

stan the caddy

Sep 27, 2011
They weren't winning a cup. They Penguins kicked the **** out of them. Signing Drury and Gomez basically ran Jagr out of town because he didn't fit with either player.

Mr Atoz*

We'd be hanging on to an aging veteran at the detriment of the development of the rest of the team. Isn't this supposed to be what Ranger fans are tired of? I was pleasantly surprised that the Rangers didn't sign Jagr. So what if he's putting up points for a crappy team going nowhere? It's no accident that's the kind of team that wants him because they have nothing else.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
We'd be hanging on to an aging veteran at the detriment of the development of the rest of the team. Isn't this supposed to be what Ranger fans are tired of? I was pleasantly surprised that the Rangers didn't sign Jagr. So what if he's putting up points for a crappy team going nowhere? It's no accident that's the kind of team that wants him because they have nothing else.
How would it be to the detriment of the team?

pls respond.

coolbean04

Aug 5, 2006
Am I the only one that thought of Cherepanov when I read the title of this thread? If Jagr was still a Ranger, he would've never collided with Cherepanov and he'd be here scoring 50 goals a year.

*Bob Richards*

Am I the only one that thought of Cherepanov when I read the title of this thread? If Jagr was still a Ranger, he would've never collided with Cherepanov and he'd be here scoring 50 goals a year.

Quite a hefty thing to put on Jagr....

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA

Yeah, but at least Jagr is good.

Mr Atoz*

How would it be to the detriment of the team?

pls respond.

How? Because no other player develops while they skate in circles trying to get the puck to Jagr so he can take his wrist shot and score. It happened while he was there. Yeah, if he's scoring 50 goals, OK. But not 25 when he's 40 years old trying to hang on. This is beyond obvious.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
How? Because no other player develops while they skate in circles trying to get the puck to Jagr so he can take his wrist shot and score. It happened while he was there. Yeah, if he's scoring 50 goals, OK. But not 25 when he's 40 years old trying to hang on. This is beyond obvious.
Well only two forwards play with Jagr at a time, and the deferral to him was limited after his first two years here.

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
I think jagr could of been an x-factor in the 11-12 playoffs. The rangers didn't need that many more goals against the devils to have moved on. I don't feel like writing much right now but I always thought it was a major disappointment that jagr left after only 3 seasons. And hindsight being what it is, I just read what RB said about never seeing him as a ranger, I actually really liked watching jagr play, I ended up seeing him play a ton live and more often then not when I was there he had dominating moments in every game.
Ive been saying for 2 years or so now, the rangers let an all-time great and a guy who potentially would have entered the HOF wearing a Ranger jersey, walk out of their brand, somebody regrets that.

Look, I dunno if it really was 'make me the highest paid player on the team or Im going to Russia', or if Sather never planned on signing him to a deal himself, instead allowing Jagr to carry the Rangers brand out of the lockout with the 3 years left on the sweetheart deal (in which washington pad over 3 million of jagr's salary a season, against their cap), and always planning on having let him walk. And if that's the case, I wouldn't be shocked if Jagr insisted on being the highest paid player on the team as a way of signifying, look if you want me after all, pay up. So honestly I dunno if they realistically could have struck a deal, and I don't know if Jags playing in the NHL for the last 7 years as opposed to getting 3 years of RR over in the K, if he'd be as effective as he is today. But dang, I give him all the credit in the world. Dudes a 45 year old man, playing a mans game, and I saw him work over McDonagh once this season. Guy can still do it.

I always saw lindros as a bigger rival to me. The 92 playoffs don't sting for me bc I was 9 and two seasons later they won the cup. Lindros and Flyer ending the ranger run in 97' killed me. My dad had went in on a share for that season, and we saw a lot of the home playoff games live, vividly remember the view of Gretzky's celebration after his hat trick goal against the Panthers, from the seats we had. sect 324. Lindros put a dagger in the rangers game 4 i think, the rangers were down 2-1 in the series, had just tied up game 4 late in the third and the garden was rocking, and like 15 seconds later Lindros, dagger, 3-1. Lose in 5. Messier gone in the offseason, never make the playoffs again until after lost season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad