What if: Chicago Blackhawks and/or Nashville Predators moving to the Eastern Conference

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Remember when the Wings were going to run roughshod over the East when they moved over?

Nothing changes for the Hawks but Nashville would be up with Tampa most likely.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I understand Buffalo's division with

Boston
Detroit
Buffalo
Toronto
Ottawa and Montreal

but why did Tampa and Florida find their way there?

the NHL should have put Columbus and Pittsburgh with us over Tampa and Florida

Boston
Detroit
Buffalo
Toronto
Ottawa
Montreal
Pittsburgh
Columbus

------

Rangers
Islanders
Flyers
Devils
Capitals
Carolina
Tampa
Florida
I have always assumed the Lightning and Panthers are in the Atlantic because they know the Leafs fans as an example will always be at their games when Toronto plays them on the road. So that can happen at least 2x a year when the Leafs play in Tampa and Sunrise. This coming December I'm going to the Leafs and Lightning game in Tampa Bay since I will be on vacation in Orlando at that time, so it's only an hour drive between both cities.

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
Doesn't make sense to move a Central time zone team east and an Eastern Time zone west.

Mustard

Jan 26, 2011
Nashville
Eh. I selfishly wish we were in the EC, as it's a 1-2 hour flight to most EC cities opposed to the WC. I'd love to make the cheap flight to Raleigh or Tampa more than once a year for a game.

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
nhl-map-complete.png

Just for reference op, 16 most eastern teams in the east, the 15 most western teams in the west, the makes sense the way it is right now more than any other scenario. Yes Chi and Nsh are closer to the east right now but even if you move them, then you ask, well why are Minn and Stl in the west, they are closer to eastern teams like Chi and Nsh.

Its just an issue central time zone teams will have to deal with for the time being

As someone mentioned, to even up travel league wide, there should be a realignment that moves away from geographic conferences, but rather keeping geographic divisions (As much as possible, it's not like the NFL is perfect on this either). When we have 32 teams, we can do 4 divisions per conference, 2 conferences.

Wales Conference

West Div
San Jose
LA
Anaheim
Vegas

East Div
Boston
New York Rangers
Philadelphia
Washington

South Div
Nashville
Tampa Bay
Florida
Carolina

North Div
Winnipeg
Minnesota
Chicago
Detroit

Campbell Conference

West Div
Seattle
Vancouver
Edmonton
Calgary

East Div
New York Islanders
New Jersey Devils
Pittsburgh
CBJ

South Div
Arizona
Colorado
Dallas
St. Louis (if the Colts can play in the AFC South, the Blues can play in a South division)

North Div
Montreal
Toronto
Buffalo
Ottawa

Division winners are seeded 1-4, 4 wild cards

Why can't this model work? Not the exact alignment I'm showing, but the concept?

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
As someone mentioned, to even up travel league wide, there should be a realignment that moves away from geographic conferences, but rather keeping geographic divisions (As much as possible, it's not like the NFL is perfect on this either). When we have 32 teams, we can do 4 divisions per conference, 2 conferences.

Wales Conference

West Div
San Jose
LA
Anaheim
Vegas

East Div
Boston
New York Rangers
Philadelphia
Washington

South Div
Nashville
Tampa Bay
Florida
Carolina

North Div
Winnipeg
Minnesota
Chicago
Detroit

Campbell Conference

West Div
Seattle
Vancouver
Edmonton
Calgary

East Div
New York Islanders
New Jersey Devils
Pittsburgh
CBJ

South Div
Arizona
Colorado
Dallas
St. Louis (if the Colts can play in the AFC South, the Blues can play in a South division)

North Div
Montreal
Toronto
Buffalo
Ottawa

Why can't this model work? Not the exact alignment I'm showing, but the concept?

Personally I don't agree with comparing NFL to NHL because the NFL has on average a week in between games. You could arrange the nfl divisions in any way possible and the travel would still have a much less impact than the nhl

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

Wales Conference

West Div
San Jose
LA
Anaheim
Vegas

East Div
Boston
New York Rangers
Philadelphia
Washington

South Div
Nashville
Tampa Bay
Florida
Carolina

North Div
Winnipeg
Minnesota
Chicago
Detroit

Campbell Conference

West Div
Seattle
Vancouver
Edmonton
Calgary

East Div
New York Islanders
New Jersey Devils
Pittsburgh
CBJ

South Div
Arizona
Colorado
Dallas

North Div
Montreal
Toronto
Buffalo
Ottawa

So play team in your division 8 times = 24 games
Every Other team X 2 = 56 Games

Plus 2 "special" games every season for a grand total of 82(or even better cut the season down by 2 games)

For the playoffs top 2 teams in each division face off, then you seat the 8 teams remaining 1 to 8(1 vs 8, 2 vs 7, etc). When doing this you only count the last home and away game a team plays against divisional opponent(that way a team in a weak division has no advantage since every team will be ranked on the same group of 62 games)

Last edited:

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
Why would Detroit or Columbus move to the WC and Chicago to the EC. Have you looked at a map ever?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad