Value of: What if Bergevin pulls a bergevin on Dorion?

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
This isn't a proposal. Just some off season talk!
Haha this will get flamed HARD

But we all know Dorion isn't the best GM in the league and the owner puts a leash on him for money purposes.

Karlsson probably played his last game as a sens

Ottawa isn't rebuilding, especially with their 1st being in play next year, they have a core of mixed age and it's pretty decent IMO clearly not bottom 5 material.

Weber has a front loaded contract, wich from next year will no longer held any bonuses and will go down to 6M while his cap hit stays the same. and it goes down after 4 year to 3M and 3 more years to 1M.

Ottawa isn't willing to use his money but wants a competitive team. Weber is still very good, especially in a Complimentary first pairing, Wich will fit like a glove to Chabot. BTW Nashville has the penalty recapture on them.

I know everyone will hate it! but what if the Owner ask Dorion to make a lateral move to make the playoffs and not spend more money and bigger extension to Karlsson?

bergevin becomes poile and Dorion Becomes Bergevin

Weber - Karlsson swap

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
That isn't a "lateral" move.
as in Current money and etablished Dman to still have a guy playing the 1RHD

Don't get me wrong i know karlsson is a better Puck moving Dman than weber, but Ottawa isn't willing to pay the price to keep him, they can't trade Karlsson for full future has they could end up losing a top 3 pick next year.

don't you think they could be forced to do a deal like that and lose value, Chabot could step up and have a very good guy next to him to do so!

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
No I don't think they will be forced to do a deal like that.

vHAB

Apr 21, 2007
Montreal
I get what you're proposing and on a certain level it makes sense if, as you say, the Sens want to remain as competitive as possible. The way I see it though, problem is Karlsson is so good that if they wanted to go the 1-for-1 swap route other teams may offer up their current #1D's as well, and I would think they'd have at least one option which would be more appealing than Weber due to his age and contract.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Im guessing thats a Karlsson extended.
It depends on how much Karlsson wants. If he wants 12 mil, then no thx Id rather keep Weber

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
It depends on how much Karlsson wants. If he wants 12 mil, then no thx Id rather keep Weber
karlsson most likely won't extend with montreal if he is traded there and if he signed an extention with ottawa why would they trade him?

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
You can't be serious...this has to be a joke, right?

Reactions: daddy

Cynick

Know-Nothing
Dec 24, 2008
Toronto
The only thing standing between the Sens and full youth movement is Karlsson. If Karlsson goes, a defenceman that is five years older isn't going to be coming back in the deal. And, just to cover my bases, if there is a 30-some defenceman in a Karlsson trade then that would be a throw-in, not the centrepiece.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
I get what you're proposing and on a certain level it makes sense if, as you say, the Sens want to remain as competitive as possible. The way I see it though, problem is Karlsson is so good that if they wanted to go the 1-for-1 swap route other teams may offer up their current #1D's as well, and I would think they'd have at least one option which would be more appealing than Weber due to his age and contract.
i feel you, but who would gamble their current signed 1D for a incoming UFA, I'm happy you answer this without bashing, i know player value, trust me. If Ottawa is indeed going this route, im realy wondering who would trade their Current RHD to step in with chabot as of right now, with a decent $. it's something very challenging. and i don't see Ottawa trading karlsson for future, it ahs to be a hockey deal!

:laugh:
Of course OP is a Habs fan.
of course you didn't read, it's not a proposal and i said i know karlsson is worth more and is the better guy, its about a situation.

i means it part of the deal... lol

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
The only thing standing between the Sens and full youth movement is Karlsson. If Karlsson goes, a defenceman that is five years older isn't going to be coming back in the deal. And, just to cover my bases, if there is a 30-some defenceman in a Karlsson trade then that would be a throw-in, not the centrepiece.

i don't totally agree with this, their foward depth are all in their mid 20's
Duchene 27
hoffman 28
stone 25
JGP 25
dzingel 26

Ryan will likely be bought out or something around him... at some point.

The probleme is Ottawa is not a franchise who could go full rebuild, hence the Duchene trade.

Imagine bottom feeding, next year, Lose Hughes, duchene don't resign.

If they trade Karlsson for future, all their foward becomes irrelevant, they need to be traded for a rebuild who the fans won't get behind.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
How about a 3-way trade?

:sens Weber

:habs Subban

:nashville Karlsson

:sarcasm:

I mean Karlsson for Subban as a base is a deal I've seen proposed here and would be good for Ottawa. You get someone who's about 90% of Karlsson for a cost controlled (Compared to what he'll cost starting in 2019-2020).

vHAB

Apr 21, 2007
Montreal
i feel you, but who would gamble their current signed 1D for a incoming UFA, I'm happy you answer this without bashing, i know player value, trust me. If Ottawa is indeed going this route, im realy wondering who would trade their Current RHD to step in with chabot as of right now, with a decent $. it's something very challenging. and i don't see Ottawa trading karlsson for future, it ahs to be a hockey deal!

Not questioning your valuating abilities, just throwing in my two cents. It's certainly a good question to ask which teams would be willing to swap 1D's (not really willing to get into that myself, but would make for an interesting thread in it's own right IMO). The fact that EK is an upcoming UFA is obviously an issue, but from my perspective it would be a big gamble for the Habs as well like any other team considering the current state of their defense. For a trade of this magnitude teams would almost surely be allowed to talk extensions first.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad