Speculation: What if Alex Galchenyuk didn't create that brutal giveaway?

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Leaf fans are all too familiar with the real life nightmare:

The Alex Galchenyuk giveaway that created a 2-0 and the Habs' OT winner in game 5.

I was shocked because I cannot recall a 2-0 OT goal in my many years of watching the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Was it that much of a punch in the gut? It turns it was.

What's your memory from that series?

Was Galy's giveaway the main turning point for him?

Are you over it?

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
It was a horrible play no doubt about it. However, I don't think it was the turning point for him. someone will give him a shot on a contract or PTO. I was over it as soon as the game ended.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If that turnover hadn't happened, I think that series unfolds differently and he's probably still a Leaf today.

Going forward, I'm torn on this player because I think he would really fill out the depth chart and give us a lot of versatility to mix and match lines, but that OT gaffe is also why his skillset and positive attributes are in the trash bin for anyone to scoop up. He's a decent contributor but also a liability who will help you get to a big game, but could very well cost you in a big moment.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
Obviously no way to know what would've happened had he not made that turnover. But there's a good chance we win the game and series, get the monkey off the back, go on an epic run that Montreal proved was doable (especially with Tavares probably back), and go on to win the Cup! It was exactly the break Montreal needed to get back into the series and they of course used it as a spring board to a pretty memorable upset and deep run.

Am I over it? See above.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
It was a bad play no doubt and it sticks out because it had game changing impact immediately after but let’s be honest none of our stars were performing all series long. Even if we squeezed by a lucky Montreal team we would have been destroyed in the next series

Reactions: Beneven Stanciano

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
It was a bad play no doubt and it sticks out because it had game changing impact immediately after but let’s be honest none of our stars were performing all series long. Even if we squeezed by a lucky Montreal team we would have been destroyed in the next series

No one would be talking about how we just barely squeezed by, the narrative would be that we got lucky with the weakest opponent of all time after a 4-1 series win. There's no narrative about Marner or Matthews if they're at 3-4 points in 5 games or whatever it was at that point.

Reactions: Obo

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
It could’ve ended up like game 6, but in the spirit of optimism, I’ll say we go on to win that game and series, Muzzin doesn’t get injured in an unnecessary game 6, and Tavares comes back halfway through the Winnipeg series.

But “if ifs and buts” and all that, regardless I’m glad Galchenyuk isn’t coming back. Giveaway like that is inexcusable, especially as a fringe guy who’s NHL career was and still is on life support.

Reactions: jiggy35

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Terrible giveaway but overall I was very pleased with Galchenyuk’s game with us. I wouldn’t have been upset if he was re-signed but I highly doubt it at this point.

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
Dermott would have tried a fancy pass at his blueline resulting in a giveaway in the slot.

Oh wait...

Edit: Guess it wasn't really in the slot, but I think you know what I'm getting at. ;)

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Gally had 1. Sandin had like 4.

Thornton and Marner had a bunch too.

Galchenyuk and Dermott's giveaways came at the worst time, but at least they played well otherwise.

Marner was an anchor on his line, while Sandin/Thornton were sub-replacement level players the entire series outside their one goal a piece.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I'd like to believe the team would have experienced a better fate even though that wasn't the deciding game in the series. I imagine the gaffe probably didn't help his cause and future standing with the team. Ritchie and Kase being available via free agency might have also been surprising developments though.

makbeer

Sep 28, 2006
Galy, Sandin, Dermott and Thornton all had brutal turnovers, and Campbell let in weak goals in each of games 5-7. While they contributed to the loss, none of those things was close to the main reason.

#1 reason: Getting badly out-coached by a mediocre (At best) coach...
#2 reason: Marner/Matthews failing to do their job

Reactions: Beneven Stanciano

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
We would’ve won the Stanley Cup.

First Kerry Fraser
Second Alex Galchenyuk

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Can’t guess. It if he didn’t give it away, someone else might have. Imagine if it was Marner? Matthews? It happens, bad timing, but if you are Keefe, he doesn’t have a crystal ball either, so he puts out who he usually puts out there. One could argue he should have shortened his bench, but you are in a long series, you need all the legs you can get.

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
Leafs still would have found a way to choke somehow. That's just how the team culture is going to remain until they are no longer paying players 11M per season to flip more pucks over the glass the in playoffs than goals scored.

Championship caliber teams find a way to win, while this one finds ways to lose.

Reactions: Plat87

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
What if Sandin goes High and Hard 1 of 2 times that he coughed it up in his own end that directly lead to a goal against?

there were lots of things that went wrong from game 5 onward. Hard to lay blame on 1 player alone. They all deserve some part of the blame IMO

beleaf101

Aug 9, 2009
Galy is like me playing poker
Tentative at first gaining confidence and think I'm playing well and then bam ld lose all my chips and out of tournament in a flash

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
What if Sandin goes High and Hard 1 of 2 times that he coughed it up in his own end that directly lead to a goal against?

there were lots of things that went wrong from game 5 onward. Hard to lay blame on 1 player alone. They all deserve some part of the blame IMO

Ok, but with all due respect the Galychenuck turnover was beyond belief. Which Dermott, Marner, Sandin, Thornton giveaway resulted in a 2 on 0 overtime winner?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad