What if a player doesn't report?

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
He gets suspended without pay, and is unable to play hockey until he reports.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
He gets suspended without pay, and is unable to play hockey until he reports.

This, until...

(...)contract to be terminated

The player would probably be traded anyways and not terminated.

Some might think it's a loophole permitting a player who thinks he's being underpaid to get himself a better deal, but I really, really highly doubt a player who thinks he's underpaid doesn't get protected, not to mention that Late July/August isn't exactly the moment to break the bank.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Probably the same thing that happened with Kilger and the Panthers.

Suspended indefinitely without pay after he failed to report after being traded to Florida.

Rysto

Oct 3, 2009
The badlands
I'm not sure if the precedent still holds, given that there have been two new CBAs since then, but Alexei Yashin sat out the entire 1999-2000 season rather than play out the final year of his contract. He wasn't paid for the year, and an arbitrator ruled that the final year of his contract was still in force, meaning that he had to play for one more season for Ottawa before it would expire and he would become an RFA.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I'm not sure if the precedent still holds, given that there have been two new CBAs since then, but Alexei Yashin sat out the entire 1999-2000 season rather than play out the final year of his contract. He wasn't paid for the year, and an arbitrator ruled that the final year of his contract was still in force, meaning that he had to play for one more season for Ottawa before it would expire and he would become an RFA.

It could still be like that.
The biggest issue is the cap though; the player would still count on the cap. So as to avoid foul play on the team's side.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
It could still be like that.
The biggest issue is the cap though; the player would still count on the cap. So as to avoid foul play on the team's side.

Are you sure? He's not being paid any salary (and no salary is owed). I don't see how that's any different than a player like Sobotka, who is playing in the KHL because he was unhappy with the arbitration award he got. He still has a year left on his contract with the Blues so if he returns, he'd have to play for them (or they could arrange a trade) before becoming a UFA. He was rumored to want to come back this season but there seems to have been a misunderstanding about his KHL contract situation. He doesn't count against the cap.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Are you sure? He's not being paid any salary (and no salary is owed). I don't see how that's any different than a player like Sobotka, who is playing in the KHL because he was unhappy with the arbitration award he got. He still has a year left on his contract with the Blues so if he returns, he'd have to play for them (or they could arrange a trade) before becoming a UFA. He was rumored to want to come back this season but there seems to have been a misunderstanding about his KHL contract situation. He doesn't count against the cap.

He doesn't count because he's not barred to play anywhere else.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013

Isn't this though because he never actually signed the new contract. He rejected it, but the Blues still own his rights.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
I could see this as a loophole for players who don't want to leave their team. Refuse to report, get suspended and contract terminated. Re-sign with previous team.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
I could see this as a loophole for players who don't want to leave their team. Refuse to report, get suspended and contract terminated. Re-sign with previous team.
I feel like they won't be able to play until their contract is fulfilled

Could pull a radulov and just show up for playoffs to burn a couple years I guess but I doubt anyone does it.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
I feel like they won't be able to play until their contract is fulfilled

If the contract is terminated much like Campbell with the Blue Jackets this season (LINK) for the same reason, their contract is over and I think they are free to sign elsewhere.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
If the contract is terminated much like Campbell with the Blue Jackets this season (LINK) for the same reason, their contract is over and I think they are free to sign elsewhere.

Idk why didn't souray just not report when he was banished to the minors by the oilers and sign somewhere else? Also why did radulov have to keep going back to Nashville even tho it was obvious he hated it there so he fled to Russia.

I think the team has to agree to terminate the contract

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Idk why didn't souray just not report when he was banished to the minors by the oilers and sign somewhere else?

5.5 millions.
Souray wasn't get that much on the open market.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
5.5 millions.
Souray wasn't get that much on the open market.

K let's use drouin as a better example also what happened with Campbell's salary hit when they terminated it ? I feel like both the team and the player have to agree to it tho.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Probably the same thing that happened with Kilger and the Panthers.

Suspended indefinitely without pay after he failed to report after being traded to Florida.

the fact that that trade wasn't voided by the league was such a disgrace. oh hey, the guy you had every right to trade for decided he'd rather not show up than play for your team, but that 3rd round pick you gave up for said player still goes to the other team

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Idk why didn't souray just not report when he was banished to the minors by the oilers and sign somewhere else? Also why did radulov have to keep going back to Nashville even tho it was obvious he hated it there so he fled to Russia.

The team does have to agree to terminate, but if the team can't work out a trade and he refuses to play, they are better off terminating the contract so it doesn't count against the cap.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
The team does have to agree to terminate, but if the team can't work out a trade and he refuses to play, they are better off terminating the contract so it doesn't count against the cap.

Vegas will have the capspace. If anything they will have to overpay a couple free agents to hit league minimum. Nhl isn't gonna let players screw over the franchise they wanna set up to start winning anyways.

Might trade some guys that don't wanna play there but empty cap space won't be a problem

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
K let's use drouin as a better example also what happened with Campbell's salary hit when they terminated it ? I feel like both the team and the player have to agree to it tho.

To answer your other question, Radulov's rights were retained by Nashville because he never played out the last year of the contract he signed with them. They just suspended him for the entire time he was in the KHL. So he remained Nashville's property in the NHL. In order for him to be allowed to become an NHL free agent he had to fulfill that last year with Nashville, which he did in 2012.

You are correct that a contract termination has to be mutual. So obviously Tampa wasn't going to go down that route with Drouin. They were either going to get something for him in a trade or wait for him to come around, which he did.

Campbell's contract is off CBJ's books because it was a mutual termination. He's now a free agent and CBJ carries no cap penalty and has no further obligations to Campbell.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad