Kings Article: What If…LA Missed 2012 Playoffs?

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Do you all forget that Lombardi had to fire his man, Murray, in December because the Kings sucked that bad? This was a team that everyone considered on the brink of being a contender and they were on the road to missing the playoffs....a situation so dire, they FIRED their head coach just 2.5 months into the season! Had the Kings missed the playoffs, and it was close, it would have been absolutely an EPIC franchise failure.

With that said, I love Lombardi...it has nothing to do with how I feel about what he's done, but someone's head would need to roll, and it would have probably been DL's.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Good article, Sheng. My biggest disagreement is calling the McSorely stick the biggest hypothetical (unless I misread).

I mean, what if the Kings never traded for Gretzky?

Not asking you to write a third article like this, but the Gretzky trade did more for the Kings and hockey in So Cal than anything else.

Sheng Peng

Good article, Sheng. My biggest disagreement is calling the McSorely stick the biggest hypothetical (unless I misread).

I mean, what if the Kings never traded for Gretzky?

Not asking you to write a third article like this, but the Gretzky trade did more for the Kings and hockey in So Cal than anything else.

Thanks! You make a great point.

I tried to concentrate on realistic alternate histories. Of course, a "What if the Kings traded for Bobby Orr in 1967?" would be silly.

Gretzky not coming to LA is certainly plausible. At the time, besides LA, he only wanted to go to Detroit and Philadelphia. Maybe I will write another one haha.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Mcsorley stick was such ********. Everyone was using sticks like that, and they changed the rule, what, five minutes after the season ended?

BS call.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
Mcsorley stick was such ********. Everyone was using sticks like that, and they changed the rule, what, five minutes after the season ended?

BS call.

and when the tying goal was scored, a mont player was clearly in the crease. (LeClair??)

Back in '93, you could not be in the crease when a goal was scored. The Kings had many goals disallowed that year by having a toe in the crease.

What were the odds the refs would disallow a mont late game-tying goal - in montreal?!

BS non-call

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Thanks! You make a great point.

I tried to concentrate on realistic alternate histories. Of course, a "What if the Kings traded for Bobby Orr in 1967?" would be silly.

Gretzky not coming to LA is certainly plausible. At the time, besides LA, he only wanted to go to Detroit and Philadelphia. Maybe I will write another one haha.

Thank you! And yeah, I know there are limitless hypothetical situations out there; I guess I was trying to point out, like you said, a plausible hypothetical.

You do great work. I know how writing can be thankless work, so just do it if it's something you want to do :)

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Those three consecutive OT losses, all early in OT, bothered me more than the illegal stick. The Kings looked like a bunch of idiots on every Montreal OT goal. It was embarrassing to see them lose in that fashion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad