What held John Tavares back?

Why did John Tavares never become an all time great?

• Skating

Votes: 160 99.4%
  • Shot

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Vision

Votes: 5 3.1%
  • Strength

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Work Ethic

Votes: 8 5.0%
  • Intelligence

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Toughness

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Defense

Votes: 8 5.0%

• Total voters

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Maybe not as a Crosby/McDavid type but IDK man the hype around Tavares particularly around the 09 Juniors was pretty insane

I think most thought he would have stats similar to a guy like Stamkos, potential 50 goal, 90 point + type player

Well, he had won CHL player of the year + OHL MVP at 16 years old which was fairly historic. (followed that up with a 118 point year) Then in the 2009 WJC he had one of the best tournaments ever.

Dave92

Oct 9, 2019
I think he mostly lived up to the hype. He was/is a legit all-star caliber centerman and is staying around a PPG into his 30's.

Becoming a Crosby, Mcdavid level player isn't realistic expectations for anyone.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Seriously. Dude nearly won the Art Ross playing with Kyle Okposo.

As for the OP, its true he got a lot of hype (which was earned, dude absolutely dominated as a kid/teen) but I don't think anyone who was fair thought he was going to be an all time great.
Kyle Okposo was a really really good player until he suffered an injury that literally almost killed him and caused him to go insane (read The Athletic article on this). The fact that he was even able to come back from that to be a useful NHL player and captain speaks to his character.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Skating would be the obvious weakness. He’s lived up to the expectations of being a 1st overall pick though. A franchise center is who you expect to draft at #1. No shame in being a Modano or Sundin tier 1st overall pick.

Exceptional status just means your mentally and physically mature enough to play a year up. Tavares was like 6’ 170 lbs when he was drafted at 14 and played a mature game. Out of the players who played in the OHL at 15 (Fata, Spezza, Tavares, Ekblad, McDavid, Day, Wright) Tavares had the best OHL career and 2nd best NHL career.

Reactions: Voight

MAB1

Jul 18, 2022
Remind's me of a middle-class version of Crosby tbh. Crosby doesn't have a shot like Ovi/Matthews, skating like McDavid, play d like Datysuk/Bergeron or hands like Kane but he can do everything elite. Tavares is that except he's a poor skater while Crosby is/was strong in that regard.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I think he's pretty much all that he could have been.

He was held to unfair expectations because of an accolade that he received at 14.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Skating 10000%, he has everything else. The hands, vision, playmaking, shot, defense, faceoffs, just the slowest damn guy on the ice.

He made a huge effort to improve that part of his game this summer, he's still not a great skater but much better than before and it's having a really positive impact for him and the team so far.

Mar 26, 2010
“All time great” ?

What is the supposed definition of this?

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
If Crosby, McDavid and Ovechkin are the Getzky and Lemieux of this generation.

Tavares falls into the Yzerman and Sakic category. (minus the cups :laugh:)

Great player. Hall of Famer. That is all

No he's a step down from those players.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
To make him an all time great, you’d have to improve his shooting, skating, passing, and teammates

To make him reach his reasonable potential of a High end 1C, probably just skating and his teammates

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
He had 47 goals 88 points a few years ago and finished one point shy of winning the scoring title im 14-15 while playing for the Islanders... And the season before that he paced for 91 points.

Stamkos has broken 90 points like 6 times and Tavares none, he's a career 70 point player.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
He is going to cruise past 1000 career points. I really fail to classify almost any player that passes that milestone as a disappointment. It just logically doesn't make sense to me.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
"Linemates held him back"

- Plays on one of the most stacked offensive teams in the league the last couple years and has 1 PPG season in the last 4 years.

The more I watch Tavares' the more impressed I am about a player like Thornton who was an even weaker skater but played with pure vision and passing ability, Thornton at ages 28-31 blows Tavares out of the water.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Stamkos has broken 90 points like 6 times and Tavares none, he's a career 70 point player.
Tavares's averaged 78 points per 82 games, and has scored at an 80+ point pace 7 times. Not sure where you got 70 points from lol.
For comparison, Stamkos's average pace is 87 points. Not really a huge difference, especially when you consider that Stamkos played his entire career with elite players like St Louis, Kucherov, Hedman, Lecavalier, Point etc.

Meanwhile Tavares played through his prime with nobodies on very weak teams. He was the Islanders most productive player in every season except his last, where Barzal had 1 more point. Meanwhile, Stamkos has only lead his team in scoring 3 times.

Let Tavares start his career alongside St Louis and put Stamkos on Long Island for 8 years and their numbers look completely different.

Reactions: banks and leafsfan5

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
"Linemates held him back"

- Plays on one of the most stacked offensive teams in the league the last couple years and has 1 PPG season in the last 4 years.

The more I watch Tavares' the more impressed I am about a player like Thornton who was an even weaker skater but played with pure vision and passing ability, Thornton at ages 28-31 blows Tavares out of the water.

Thornton at ages 28-31 blows 95% of NHLers of all time out of the water

Reactions: banks

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Tavares's averaged 78 points per 82 games, and has scored at an 80+ point pace 7 times. Not sure where you got 70 points from lol.
For comparison, Stamkos's average pace is 87 points. Not really a huge difference, especially when you consider that Stamkos played his entire career with elite players like St Louis, Kucherov, Hedman, Lecavalier, Point etc.

Meanwhile Tavares played through his prime with nobodies on very weak teams. He was the Islanders most productive player in every season except his last, where Barzal had 1 more point. Meanwhile, Stamkos has only lead his team in scoring 3 times.

Let Tavares start his career alongside St Louis and put Stamkos on Long Island for 8 years and their numbers look completely different.

What's the excuse in their massive gap in scoring production in recent years while Tavares has played on a top5 offense? Hmmmm

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
What's the excuse in their massive gap in scoring production in recent years while Tavares has played on a top5 offense? Hmmmm
Stamkos is the premier shooter on his team, which gives him a lot of opportunities to play that prime scoring role on their PP. The overwhelming majority of their production difference is on the PP (Tavares actually has more ES points in the last 5 years).

Tavares has a similar goal scoring center ahead of him in the depth chart so he plays 2nd fiddle to Matthews. Though I would also argue he has (expectedly) begun his decline earlier than Stamkos, which is really not too shocking considering his skating isn't great.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Stamkos is the premier shooter on his team, which gives him a lot of opportunities to play that prime scoring role on their PP. The overwhelming majority of their production difference is on the PP (Tavares actually has more ES points in the last 5 years).

Tavares has a similar goal scoring center ahead of him in the depth chart so he plays 2nd fiddle to Matthews. Though I would also argue he has (expectedly) begun his decline earlier than Stamkos, which is really not too shocking considering his skating isn't great.

Players who don't depend on skating usually age better, Thornton, Crosby, Sedin, Backstrom all put up great seasons in their early 30's, Tavares lack of production isn't just due to skating. He's quite overrated in general.

Stamkos has topped his career high twice in the last 4 years, they're just a different class of players.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Man he carried some dud wingers to some great totals on the island. Too bad we never got to see him in his prime with a winger that matches his talent and play style. Him with a Tkachuk instead of a Moulson, for instance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad