What has been the Leafs biggest mistake?

What has been the Leafs biggest mistake?

• Total voters

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
The biggest mistake in my opinion was not locking up Matthews, Marner, and Nylander when they had a year left on their RFA contracts and choosing to wait.

It was pretty obvious that all 3 were elite young stars. There was no reason to wait. Locking the 3 of them up would have been as safe a bet as you can make in pro sports. I think if they would have signed them a year earlier they probably at a minimum would have locked them all up for 8 years and would have been considerably cheaper. I think we would have saved a good $5 million in cap space if they would have done that.

The trickle down effect would have also set a salary structure in place meaning other players would just expect to make less. As an example, if Nylander was locked up at $5.5 x 8 years, Hyman would not be sniffing $5 million right now.
Or bridge all three, with the flat cap and players being perennial chokers their bargaining position would have been laughable. BTW, imo that’s what Lou would have done.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Contracts. Specifically the contract of Marner. He's being payed 11 million while being the worst of our "big 4" in the playoffs. Both Dubas and Lou have a role. Dubas overpayed his stars, Lou overpayed plugs. (Martin, Marleau, Zaitsev).

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Or bridge all three, with the flat cap and players being perennial chokers their bargaining position would have been laughable. BTW, imo that’s what Lou would have done.
I think not having someone like Lou to handle those three contracts got to go down as a huge mistake.
I don’t think Lou ever traded a talented player coming out of their ELC, which lead me to think he would have signed all three to better value and terms.
Maybe he could even sign JT to a lower AVV.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Maybe. But seeing what contracts he gave out with us and the Isles that "extra money" would have gone to overpaying Komarov and Martin to stay, and Hyman would already be re-signed for 6+ mil. Lou was not a good GM while with us.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Maybe. But seeing what contracts he gave out with us and the Isles that "extra money" would have gone to overpaying Komarov and Martin to stay, and Hyman would already be re-signed for 6+ mil. Lou was not a good GM while with us.
Lou inherited the 27th placed team in the league and 3 short years later set the franchise record in points.

“Was not a good gm while with us”. Insane.

Im starting to think Lou is bad on paper but great in the real world. The polar opposite of Dubas.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Off the board. My choice is appointing Kyle Dubas, a freakin' rookie, as the GM of an original 6 team. A team that was on the rise with plenty of cap space and strong culture.

Now it is a country club with no accountability, no cap space, bleak future and no assets (picks or solid prospects) in the system.

The turnover from hope to bleak future was the fastest I've seen in my life since I've been watching/following sports. Dubas would go down as one of the worst GMs in the history of all sports and Shanahan as the one of the worst presidents

Keefe is not good enough but he is a scapegoat. You don't put an AHL guy as NHL guy without even having some experience as assistant in the NHL. This is not on Keefe eventhough he has a lot to learn.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Voted for the GMs, it starts with the president who hired them though. The tank portion of the rebuild was brilliantly executed, but it's been all downhill since the Washington series, when they shifted to the 'build' portion of the rebuild.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
A lot of wasted assets letting contracts expire.

I get why most werent sold at the TDL but they shouldve been dealt at the beginning of their final years.

Reactions: FreeBird

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Lack of drafting for me, its fine letting UFA players walk away and using them as your own rentals if you are constantly drafting and developing but there's no point in trading those players for picks if you can't develop the prospect.

Toronto is at a stage in the organization were they need to start inserting young good ELC players into the lineup to be able to add to the core via trades and free agency, and we haven't seen that yet. We haven't had a single ELC contract player in the lineup for us full time. The elite teams of the NHL are constantly adding cheap young ELC players into there lineup and it helps them going forward acquiring players to help in the playoffs.

In saying that, this season instead of paying the Joe Thortons and Vesseys and Boyds, along with the scrub 6th/7th dman 1 million to 1.5m, Toronto has to get value out of Sandin/Lillygren/Robertson/Hollander/Anderson and start actually developing these rookies into NHL players.

Reactions: Deku

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Lack of drafting for me, its fine letting UFA players walk away and using them as your own rentals if you are constantly drafting and developing but there's no point in trading those players for picks if you can't develop the prospect.

Toronto is at a stage in the organization were they need to start inserting young good ELC players into the lineup to be able to add to the core via trades and free agency, and we haven't seen that yet. We haven't had a single ELC contract player in the lineup for us full time. The elite teams of the NHL are constantly adding cheap young ELC players into there lineup and it helps them going forward acquiring players to help in the playoffs.

In saying that, this season instead of paying the Joe Thortons and Vesseys and Boyds, along with the scrub 6th/7th dman 1 million to 1.5m, Toronto has to get value out of Sandin/Lillygren/Robertson/Hollander/Anderson and start actually developing these rookies into NHL players.

They could not dress both Lily and Sandin to give them NHL experience because it did not work with cap even if they buried both Jumbo/Spezza

Keefe said it many times in the interviews that the team did not have much flexibility into maneuvering players in and out of the line up due to cap issues

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
They could not dress both Lily and Sandin to give them NHL experience because it did not work with cap even if they buried both Jumbo/Spezza

Keefe said it many times in the interviews that the team did not have much flexibility into maneuvering players in and out of the line up due to cap issues

The problem was that even if they had the flexibility to move them both into the lineup, Bogo wasn't coming out of the lineup and Dermott was the only player they would take out of the lineup and that was rare.

Same thing with the forwards, Simmonds and Jumbo both should have been out of the lineup and waived/sent to the minors but they didn't do it. All I am saying is, Toronto needs to start making our top prospects into NHL players so they can save us money and actually help the team win. I'd much would have had Robertson or Anderson in the lineup over Simmonds/Jumbo/Vessy/Boyd/Nash during the 56 game season.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
I laugh when Doofus gets called a good or great GM.

$9M left to fill 9 UFA spots on the roster

Great job buddy !

...?

XXX - Matthews - Marner
XXX - Tavares - Nylander
XXX - Kefoot - Mikaeyv
Spezza - Engvall - Simmonds

Moe - Brodie
Muzz - Holl
Sandin - Dermott

Campbell
XXX

Subtract either Dermott/Holl/Kerfoot from the roster and Probably add Robertson to the 3rd line LW spot, I see 9m or 13m depending if Seattle taking Kerfoot to fill Top two left wingers and a 3c and backup goalie,

Where do you get nine from? I count 4.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad