Player Discussion: Noah Dobson

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Geeze I forgot about Dobson... is he just getting healthy scratched always? I just assumed he was demoted from NYI a while back

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Nope, nobody trolled and nobody got you. You added up 1+1 and got three and are too gutless to admit your mistake.

I'd admit my mistake if there was any other way for me to interpret your post, but I can't find one. Maybe it's just so complex and deep that my puny brain can't comprehend the intellect behind it.

I do find it interesting though that instead of just telling me what you were trying to say, you decided to be a pompous prick and attack me with each of your replies. Interesting route to take.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Geeze I forgot about Dobson... is he just getting healthy scratched always? I just assumed he was demoted from NYI a while back
Yeah - there's nowhere to reasonably demote him to. The FO had no interest in sending him back to Juniors so they kept him with the team with an eye towards rotating him in every so often and/or filling in for any injuries. Well, they've been pretty healthy overall and the team is playing so well that its tough to justify taking any one of the seasoned vets out for anything other than a rare breather. Boychuk is the obvious candidate but he's holding up pretty well. They've also benefited from having a pretty relaxed schedule so far. Its going to get a bit more crowded going forward.

Will be interesting to see if he gets in tonight on the back end of a B2B. He's done reasonably when he's gotten in. As others have pointed out here, its kinda tough to get into your rhythm when you play once every 2 weeks (as well as often playing on his off side), but he's held his own for the most part and showed some real promise. He's played pretty sheltered minutes so far when he does get in.

Shimmy Cocopop

Oct 26, 2017
Dobson was a little shaky early in the season but he seems to be a different player the last couple of games. Playing with some more confidence.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I don't recall Dobson playing LD in the handful of junior games I caught. It's impressive that he's able to handle that side as an NHL rookie.

Reactions: Poster Unknown

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Rangers fan here. If I was an Islanders fan, I'd be upset about how they handled Dobson's 1st season in the NHL and how the Islanders are using Dobson. Why hasn't the Islanders send him back to juniors if he is not going to be in the top 6 and play regularly. He must be happy about being a 7th dman in his rookie season and not playing much. Is Boychuk that much better than him at this point?? What a waste of Dobson's developmental year 1

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Rangers fan here. If I was an Islanders fan, I'd be upset about how they handled Dobson's 1st season in the NHL and how the Islanders are using Dobson. Why hasn't the Islanders send him back to juniors if he is not going to be in the top 6 and play regularly. He must be happy about being a 7th dman in his rookie season and not playing much. Is Boychuk that much better than him at this point?? What a waste of Dobson's developmental year 1
If the team wasn't playing as well as it is, you'd surely see a lot more angry folk in here, but then again, you'd probably also be seeing Dobson playing more if that were the case. At the end of the day, management didn't want him back in juniors as he had nothing really to learn there except bad habits from playing 35 minutes a night, and most of us agree with that. Also, he is still doing practices with the team which will help him learn more about what it takes to succeed in the NHL than juniors likely would. So, I don't really see it as a waste, though I would like to see him get more games.

As for Boychuk, while it's arguable Dobson is ahead of him in play right now, with a pretty young defense squad, Boychuk's veteran presence is important, IMO. And we really haven't seen enough of Dobson to know if he's ready to outplay Boychuk on a nightly basis.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
If the team wasn't playing as well as it is, you'd surely see a lot more angry folk in here, but then again, you'd probably also be seeing Dobson playing more if that were the case. At the end of the day, management didn't want him back in juniors as he had nothing really to learn there except bad habits from playing 35 minutes a night, and most of us agree with that. Also, he is still doing practices with the team which will help him learn more about what it takes to succeed in the NHL than juniors likely would. So, I don't really see it as a waste, though I would like to see him get more games.

As for Boychuk, while it's arguable Dobson is ahead of him in play right now, with a pretty young defense squad, Boychuk's veteran presence is important, IMO. And we really haven't seen enough of Dobson to know if he's ready to outplay Boychuk on a nightly basis.

Gotcha. Who are the refs tonight, hopefully not the awful ones from last night that cost the Rangers.

cbtitan

Oct 3, 2017
Obviously someone is trying to hide Dobson in a closet, not playing him and declining him a stint on the Junior world stage.
One year lost is the way it looks more and more.
This guy is a leader....unworthy of being hidden in a closet.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Obviously someone is trying to hide Dobson in a closet, not playing him and declining him a stint on the Junior world stage.
One year lost is the way it looks more and more.
This guy is a leader....unworthy of being hidden in a closet.
Dobson's last game was not a good one. Tried forcing a pass from behind his net through the slot that went right to Nathan Gerbe for an easy goal.

Dobson is being brought along slowly. He is not being hidden. Young defensemen develop slower than forwards.

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut

Dobson's play being ahead of Boychuk's is laughable.

Someday, I hope that happens but it's not even debatable at the current time. Throw in Boychuk's leadership and toughness and the gap widens further.

cbtitan

Oct 3, 2017

Someday, I hope that happens but it's not even debatable at the current time. Throw in Boychuk's leadership and toughness and the gap widens further.
I watched Dahlin against Boston last night and Buffalo play him no problem. Dobson is on that level
If you want a young D to learn, you got to play him like the Bruins did with Carlo and McAvoy.
If they don't want to play him, let him play world juniors.
Right now he is having the worst of both situations.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I watched Dahlin against Boston last night and Buffalo play him no problem. Dobson is on that level
If you want a young D to learn, you got to play him like the Bruins did with Carlo and McAvoy.

The Islanders are trying to win now and he hasn't shown he helps the team win. He has a lot of rookie tendencies right now. Unfortunately the Islanders don't have the luxury that the Bruins had/have with being able to hide a young player behind a future hall of famer.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
The Islanders are trying to win now and he hasn't shown he helps the team win. He has a lot of rookie tendencies right now. Unfortunately the Islanders don't have the luxury that the Bruins had/have with being able to hide a young player behind a future hall of famer.

The Bruins also have the talent to overcome potential defensive deficiencies unlike the Islanders who need a complete buy in. I do think with time Dobson will look better, but with the team struggling right now it is a wise move to keep a young, mistake prone Dobson out of the lineup.

Reactions: MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I'm itching to say play Dobson more but as a middle aged guy I have leaned to shut my mouth and observe sometimes so I'll let Trotz handle it....
It wouldn't bother me if Toews had some popcorn tomorrow and got Dobson some ice time.

Reactions: Rengi and mm11

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
I get that he shouldn't be cemented in the lineup, but he needs to play occasionally to continue his development. More than on an injury replacement basis.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL

No he is not. Not even close.

Reactions: buud

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site

I didn't say his play was ahead of Boychuk's, nor do I think that. He does have areas he is better at than Boychuk though, so I can also understand why some at that time were arguing that he was better. That is also why I threw in the caveat "arguably."

Last edited:

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
I say the way LL is handing Dobson is his biggest mistake since becoming GM here. Maybe his only mistake but it stands out and is clearly not good.
I am LL’s biggest supporter and it is just my opinion.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
When the Isles win the cup this year, does Dobson's name get to go on the cup or does he actually have to play games...I mean..since he is with the big club..that counts or no?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad