What happens when Simmonds comes back?

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I'm sure with injuries and load management for our old guys (including himself), he'll still get plenty of looks with our top six.

Shooter14

57 years now and still hoping.
Feb 5, 2018
When Simmons comes back the opposition will be aware of it. So no more cheap shots to the Leaf players.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Vesey out, one decent game doesn’t counter a woeful overall performance to date. Easy call.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
To me, it kinda looks easy.
No need to rush Simmonds, especially if the team is firing on all cylinders. Wait for the right time and blend him in a success role. I don't think I've EVER been more confident in a coach utilizing his players than I am now with Keefe and Co.

. I thought the next move was sending a message to both Nylander and Vesey - what does he do? Rides them more, adds confidence and whammo,we have guys that now know they can score.

The same should and likely will happen with Simmonds. find his way back in - get some PP time, some good linemates at the right time; just like that, we have pre-injury Simmonds and everyone talking about how we basically did an 'internal' deadline add of the exact player everyone is saying we lack

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
The team gains more net presence, forecheck and toughness when needed. Their PP is provided another body around the crease.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
What a wonderful dilemma, where to put Wayne. I'd like to see what type of space and effect he'd have with Willy and JT.

Jumbo Matthews Marner
Nylander JT Simmonds
Mikky Engvall Hyman (please be the line I think it is, Van and Peg to conclusively prove)
Vesey Kerfoot Spezza
Barabanov, Boyd, Petan

Kerfoot against other 4th liners in the league, please. An upgrade to dishing to Spezza, I think by that time Vesey will be so pumped to play with a contender his efforts will be full on.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
This is why I'm a bit confused about leafs apparently shopping for a Forward, I guess one of the current forwards would be going the other way ?
I figure they're looking to either upgrade Kerfoot outright or push him down to the third line C.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
People putting Simmonds in the top 9, why? He hasn't been good 5v5. He has two jobs. Be a net front presence on the PP and punch people in the face.

Put him on the 4th line (move out Vesey/Boyd), Vesey can PK (and Keefe trusts him defensively), so Boyd may be coming out.

Alternatively, Engvall may have fallen off a cliff by then again, so he may be coming out.

But Simmonds should not be a top 9 player on this team.

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
I figure they're looking to either upgrade Kerfoot outright or push him down to the third line C.
I think a Kerfoot upgrade would make the most sense. We’re more or less gonna lose 1 of him or Dermott in the expansion draft. Might as well trade him and got back a better expiring player if we’re going to lose him anyways.

I don’t think they’ll go 7F 3D. That doesn’t leave enough forwards exposed

Reactions: Lumberg

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
They do, but it weakens that 3rd line if they swap Hyman and Simmonds may be a stretch as a true top 6 forward

Really depends on how he plays on that line, I honestly didn't think Thornton would be able to be a top 6 guy on this team either, but he has been great.

They have Robinson also who could likely step in.

I'm not opposed to any trade for the right price, just hoping they aren't paying a premium for a player that may not be needed.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
They do, but it weakens that 3rd line if they swap Hyman and Simmonds may be a stretch as a true top 6 forward

Really depends on if Simmonds can produce on that line. I personally didn't think Thornton could play in the top 6 with this team either, but he has been great.

I'm all for trades for an appropriate price, but hopefully they aren't making a trade for a position that isn't needed.

Nick Robinson still available and could likely step into the lineup as well.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Its easy. You dont touch what is working with the top 3 lines. You slide him in on the 4th line with Boyd-Spezza with his usual PP1 time. As games progress depending on injuries and how lines are going, there is an opportunity to move him up in the lineup if needed.

You let him get his legs back on the 4th line and take it from there.

Another option is to move Engvall back to the wing on 4th line with Spezza and Boyd. And you put Hyman back with Tavares-Nylander, with Kerfoot at C with Simmonds and Micheyev.

But I dont want to touch that 3rd line right now with how they are playing.

Either way Vesey becomes the odd man out. Maybe rotation with Boyd and Spezza for rest depending on team we play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad