Sep 22, 2007
I'm guessing the playoffs lineup looks like:

Thornton - Matthews - Marner
XXXXXXXX - Tavares - Nylander
Mikheyev - Engvall - Hyman
Simmonds - Kerfoot - Spezza
With XXXXXXX = trade deadline add.

Engvall goes in the trade as partial payment for XXXXXXXXXXXX
an experienced 3rd line centre is also acquired by Dubas...maybe from Thunder Bay and playing for the Sabres

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Engvall goes in the trade as partial payment for XXXXXXXXXXXX
an experienced 3rd line centre is also acquired by Dubas...maybe from Thunder Bay and playing for the Sabres
I think the speed of that new look third line can continue to be really effective for us. We have great veteran, hometown leaders on the team as is. Not sure I see the need for Staal. A winger with some grit to him should do wonders for us. Foligno was mentioned in a few articles, and of course Sam Bennett. Or a guy like Crouse that we've all talked about in the past. Really like our team, I think one fiesty winger added and we're ready to sustain what the playoffs will bring

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Anyone in mind?
A couple guys come to mind from teams way out of the playoffs.

Tier 1:
Rickard Rackell
Taylor Hall (retained)

Tier 2:
Mikael Granlund

Trade would consist of Kerfoot to clear salary and one of Sandin/Liljegren likely. Wouldn't be surprised if someone like Deslauriers or Grant from Anaheim would be targeted as well for depth.

In a normal year I would expect a larger trade happened, like one with Nylander going one way and something like Forsberg or Arvidsson+ came back here, but given the quarantine time and everything I can't see that happening. The team can't afford to be without a key player for 2+ weeks.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
It will be between him, Vesey and Gally( personally, I don't think he ever gets a chance)

I would have said Engvall coming out. But he's has been solid in center. Unless Kerfoot moves to 4th which I think it's a good idea. Otherwise that 4th line is going to be super slow

I have also really liked Boyd. He has been a super find for his role. He reminds me of Tim Brent from few years ago. Very serviceable player without being a liability

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
When it comes to face-offs, you have Matthews, Tavares, Spezza... and maybe Nylander.
Remember what happened in 2013 playoffs against Boston? Went from Bozak scoring short-handed, to being knocked out and missing game 7
Game 7 had Kadri win 22% of his face-offs, and Grabovski win 25% of his. The Leafs need a defensive 3rd liner who can also win face-offs.
Kerfoot is obviously not the answer. Not saying he can't be used effectively as a winger, but he's just not filling that need.
And to be honest, don't see anyone else doing it either. Engvall is working as good as to be expected, but I really don't want him
in the faceoff dot either. Simmonds return is adding another winger to a list of wingers and the Leafs have no real answer for a 3rd line center.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I'm guessing the playoffs lineup looks like:

XXXXXXXX - Tavares - Nylander
Mikheyev - Engvall - Hyman
Simmonds - Kerfoot - Spezza
With XXXXXXX = trade deadline add.

Vesey may play himself back into the conversation, but in general I imagine one of Engvall or Vesey is on the way out to make room for the TDL acquisition and Simmonds is in for Boyd (as you've put it). No way Kerfoot ends up on the 4th line either. He's far too good for that, and fits on one of our middle 6 lines (otherwise we'd likely move him).

Kerfoot/TDL - Tavares - Nylander
Mikheyev - Kerfoot/TDL - Hyman
Engvall/Vesey - Spezza - Simmonds

If the Leafs don't like Spezza as a full time 4C, they may prefer Engvall over Vesey since they've liked him down the middle. Ideally that TDL acquisition has some flexibility as well. One of the reasons I like a guy like Haula is that you can use him all over that bottom 6 and give the Leafs a bunch of looks (including moving a guy like Hyman or Simmonds up to the top 6 on occasion).

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
When it comes to face-offs, you have Matthews, Tavares, Spezza... and maybe Nylander.
Remember what happened in 2013 playoffs against Boston? Went from Bozak scoring short-handed, to being knocked out and missing game 7
Game 7 had Kadri win 22% of his face-offs, and Grabovski win 25% of his. The Leafs need a defensive 3rd liner who can also win face-offs.
Kerfoot is obviously not the answer. Not saying he can't be used effectively as a winger, but he's just not filling that need.
And to be honest, don't see anyone else doing it either. Engvall is working as good as to be expected, but I really don't want him
in the faceoff dot either. Simmonds return is adding another winger to a list of wingers and the Leafs have no real answer for a 3rd line center.

Player | 20-21 Season | Career
Erik Haula | 57.6% | 51.5%
Eric Staal | 49.6% | 49.1%
Riley Nash | 51.8% | 48.2%
Ryan Getzlaf | 51.8% | 49.1%
Derick Brassard | 49.4% | 48.4%
Luke Glendening | 67.7% | 55.0%
Travis Zajac | 48.6% | 53.8%

If we are going for faceoff ability alone, then Glendening is the clear choice. He also adds the physicality that people like. Downside, he is not a great PKer even though he has a ton of minutes there, he lacks any kind of offensive or possession ability, and would have to be a pure defensive 4th liner (or play in that Engvall spot with no real expectations of scoring). Not sure the Leafs are overly enthused about that.

Haula would probably be the next best choice, and while he is not as good defensively or physically, he offers more offensively and is a better PKer. He also has the speed and playing style to keep up with that 3rd line and compliment them quite well.

Staal and Getzlaf would be nice additions, but I have a feeling that Getzlaf prefers to stay in ANA. Staal is not the best defensive player in the world so he wouldn't be the best fit for our 3rd line as currently configured, but would be solid in general and brings experience. I've got some concerns on his price requirements if he comes at 50% as well. I don't think this has happened before but I would just give Buffalo a bunch of mediocre quantity rather than anything of quality. Like I would just give them Engvall, a mid-tier prospect, and our 4th this year.

Nash is the textbook definition of a mediocre 4C. He is pricey on the cap too. However he is solid on the PK, doing well in possession, and has won draws this year. If he didn't require retention to acquire, I would have said we could have tossed a mediocre prospect to get him, but I don't think he is the right fit for us.

Brassard is the same. He did well on draws last year, but that looks more like an anomaly and he hasn't been a full time center for a while. He'd be a guy to split with Spezza on a 4th line, but I'd rather have Vesey and Engvall there.

Zajac is high on cap, not great, and I can almost guarantee that Lou is going to pay a 2nd to acquire him for the Islanders' run.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Verhaeghe has 1 goal in 13 games...he would be on the taxi squad.
If you love Verhaeghe so much the mistake was not the trade. It was not acquiring him as a UFA this off season which was an option. Guess they chose Vesey instead.

The reason for that trade at the time was the Leafs were up against the contract max. They needed roster flexibility. Teams are not just going to take stiffs off your hands

Reactions: willmma

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Jumbo/Simmonds Matty Marner
Foligno JT Willy
Hyman Engval Mik
Simmonds/Jumbo Boyd Spezz (this line won't play much in playoffs unless game is over early)

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
Verhaeghe has 1 goal in 13 games...he would be on the taxi squad.
If you love Verhaeghe so much the mistake was not the trade. It was not acquiring him as a UFA this off season which was an option. Guess they chose Vesey instead.

The reason for that trade at the time was the Leafs were up against the contract max. They needed roster flexibility. Teams are not just going to take stiffs off your hands

Wrong thread?

Reactions: The Iceman

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
Would it not be a good idea to add a guy like Auston Watson to this lineup.....kind of a Blake Coleman type addition, but not as costly. Or a guy like Ryan Hartman..... someone to complement Simmonds/Bogo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad