What Happens When A Team Can't Meet The Minimum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazy Lunatic

The NHL states that teams are quailified for revenue sharing money if they meet some requirements (like 80% tickets sold). Well, what if a team sells 65% and can't meet the 32 million dollar minimum? Are they allowed to stay under the minimum? Does the league force the owner to move?

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
I guess it would depend upon whatever language is in the League's constitution/by-laws.

Revoking a franchise for not meeting minimal requirements is common in the business world.

Would the league run it until a new owner could be found? Possibly.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Crazy Lunatic said:
The NHL states that teams are quailified for revenue sharing money if they meet some requirements (like 80% tickets sold). Well, what if a team sells 65% and can't meet the 32 million dollar minimum? Are they allowed to stay under the minimum? Does the league force the owner to move?

either:

(a) You're Bill Wirtz

(b) You're an idiot owner

(c) You're in a bad market

Crazy Lunatic

go kim johnsson said:
either:

(a) You're Bill Wirtz

(b) You're an idiot owner

(c) You're in a bad market

But what does the league do if you are a, b and/or c? Does the league take control of 5 franchises?

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
Crazy Lunatic said:
But what does the league do if you are a, b and/or c? Does the league take control of 5 franchises?
Some may just pull the plug on their own. Dormancy is another option. Again, it's hard to say not knowing the terms of league membership.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
Crazy Lunatic said:
...[A team]can't meet the 32 million dollar minimum? Are they allowed to stay under the minimum? Does the league force the owner to move?

I'm not sure if that is a condition, as from what I understand that the franchise is responsible for that $32m to the players no matter what. E.g. If Minnesota has a player salaries of $25m they must pay $7m directly to the union. At least that's how I think it would (and should) work.

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
Flukeshot said:
I'm not sure if that is a condition, as from what I understand that the franchise is responsible for that $32m to the players no matter what. E.g. If Minnesota has a player salaries of $25m they must pay $7m directly to the union. At least that's how I think it would (and should) work.

Are you sure?

If that's the case, why wouldn't the Wild just spend that $7 million on players? You'd think they'd rather have a few tangible assets over paying a fine.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
The way I see it is if a team is X dollars under the cap after a certain date, then there should be a way that distributs that cap space among all teams at top of the cap, allowing them to spend more. The overall percentages don't change, and any of the "poor" teams who allow the "rich" ones to spend more will have only themselves to blame.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
Bicycle Repairman said:
Are you sure?

If that's the case, why wouldn't the Wild just spend that $7 million on players? You'd think they'd rather have a few tangible assets over paying a fine.

I'm not sure at all. There is no source or previous reference that I can remember to back this. It IMO is the only logical way to do things. The idea would be that yes the wild should spend that $7m to acquire more/better players and thus raise their level of competition.

The other options don't make sense to me. One would be that they simply overpay the players they have on their team. Some people have suggested this would happen though it is unreasonable. Why pay people more then they are worth and increase inflaition of salaries? Another is that they are penalized. However that does not help the franchise taking away draft picks or revenue sharing, etc.

What would make the most sense is that if they are under, that dollar amount would A) be given directly to the union, or B) be spread out evenly to the members of the team thought not directly as proportion of their regular salary.

A) Ensures that the union receives the guaranteed XX% of total league revenues
B) Does the same and also makes sure the players get a kick back for playing for a cheap team.
Also both would mean that if another player is added to the payroll/roster that the money would be there for them from that previously unused $7m.

If this is not what or similar to what the NHL was thinking then I believe they are being unreasonable with their "Salary Floor" structure.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
Epsilon said:
The way I see it is if a team is X dollars under the cap after a certain date, then there should be a way that distributs that cap space among all teams at top of the cap, allowing them to spend more. The overall percentages don't change, and any of the "poor" teams who allow the "rich" ones to spend more will have only themselves to blame.
i like that idea..... would the team lose it for the next season too or would it reset each season ?

dr

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
Epsilon said:

Interesting thought...what about trade cap room? Sell it maybe...something like that :D

I hear the Leafs are in the market for $20,000,000 worth...

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
Flukeshot said:
If this is not what or similar to what the NHL was thinking then I believe they are being unreasonable with their "Salary Floor" structure.
Unless I'm missing something, isn't a Salary Floor the ante just to get into the game? If a team is significantly under dollar-wise, it means they can't afford to pay the floor. What good is a fine at that point?

Crazy Lunatic

DR said:
i like that idea..... would the team lose it for the next season too or would it reset each season ?

dr

Aren't we right back to where we started if that idea was put in place? Whats the point of a minimum if teams dont have to meet it and how does this all help the small market teams when salaries get inflated by all this additional cap room big markets are given? It becomes a two tiered league. I guess you could say the deal helps the big markets, but if the NHL wanted a deal that helps big markets only, they could have offered a 70 million cap and the NHLPA would have accepted months ago.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
Bicycle Repairman said:
Unless I'm missing something, isn't a Salary Floor the ante just to get into the game? If a team is significantly under dollar-wise, it means they can't afford to pay the floor. What good is a fine at that point?

Yes, I would hope you are correct. That a team could not enter a game without $32m worth of players on the books. However could it be financially more logical to allow teams under? It is a given fact that some teams would struggle to pay even that $32m mark. So if they wished to add another player later in the season they would go above it, perhaps by a few million even.

It would be in both parties best interest if the team was allowed to have say $29m worth of players paying a $3m fee to stay at $32m and then when that new player (for arg. $3m contract) is acquired they move up to $32m instead of $35m. As at $35m they would be under a greater financial strain. In this circumstance the players/PA do not lose money.

Brent Burns Beard