Speculation: What happens to Bryzgalov at the deadline?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Question, I have been traveling so if this has been addressed apologies up front. During the Phillie game Bryz threw his stick up in the air after the 3rd goal, has there been any comment from anyone about this? I don't personally have an issue with it but thought some may be screaming blue murder!

Why ask a question that you know will result in someone screaming blue murder again?

Sheeshta

Jul 27, 2007
I have a kid. It doesn't take him a month to draw a picture.

Edit: that being said, it's exactly what I would do in his position. Who on earth that's financially set already would ever want to be part of the Oilers long-term goaltending plans? It's a career killer. Agreeing to come back for peanuts and show up Dubnyk and then get bounced to a contender is a great move for Bryz, if that's what he's done. The team knew at the point they signed him they weren't going anywhere, and does anybody think Bryz seriously wants to split games playing behind the worst defense in the league getting booed 2/3 games at home?

Last edited:

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
if this is true than that is a nice gesture.

but at the moment for people that do not know that story it looks like a guy waiting to move on.

Yea thats what he told Gregor anyways when he asked.

Who is going to trade for him? I just don't recall too many teams acquiring goalies at the TDD.

If he is as good as we hear with Belov and Yak then why just deal him for the sake of dealing him?

Calgary - Reto Berra (prospect at the time)
Tampa Bay - Ben Bishop
CLB/PHI - Steve Mason/Michael Leighton
Wild - JDD (minor League)

Couple minor league trades

Bruins - Anton Khudobin

Flames/Ducks - Vesa Toskala/Curtis McElhinney.

Senators - Pascal Leclaire
Leafs - Olaf Kolzig

There are a few, but really they are about 1 or 2 and they end up being back ups for the year.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
if this is true than that is a nice gesture.

but at the moment for people that do not know that story it looks like a guy waiting to move on.

It was hot topic when he came here and was clarified by damn near everyone in the media.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I'd move him right now for Neuvirth straight up. If he's not planning to stay that gives us a bit more depth going into next year.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
I think until we know what Bryz plans to do, it is pointless. He may be moved and just come back, which would be nice. I don't think he hates it here and is gelling with some of our Russian rookies.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
1545896_10153660350890080_284164495_n.jpg

His mask.

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey
The helmet thing is ridiculous.

He had a black helmet for his tenure in Philly...dude is a little strange (I thought that was obvious).

That does not mean he doesn't want to be here.

God we've become such an insecure fanbase....we're like the jilted ex-gf with every player now.

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
He's likely not going to re-sign here. At least that's my impression. I say he gets dealt for insurance to a team like Pittsburgh.

Sheeshta

Jul 27, 2007
Focussing on the helmet is goofy, for sure, but implying that a fan base is insecure or whatever for expecting him to leave is really weird. Signing him for a couple of months and then moving him, if that's what happens, is not only a good move for Bryz, but a really good move asset-management wise by the Oilers.

Bryz isn't the long-term solution in net here. Signing him and then moving him gets laBarbera off the ice, takes some heat off of Dubnyk, and whatever asset Bryz can be turned into is essentially free

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009

He had a black helmet for his tenure in Philly...dude is a little strange (I thought that was obvious).

God we've become such an insecure fanbase....we're like the jilted ex-gf with every player now.

It's true but can you blame us. Been a hurting situation the whole way through lol.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Anyone know if his family moved to town or are they still in Philly?

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010

He rocked the Yoda mask in Philly :

THSRe4c.jpg

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I hope he resigns with us. If not then get what you can for him and Dubnyk at the TDL. Then commence super tank with Bachman and Bunz as the goalies for the rest of the season.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I have a kid. It doesn't take him a month to draw a picture.

Edit: that being said, it's exactly what I would do in his position. Who on earth that's financially set already would ever want to be part of the Oilers long-term goaltending plans? It's a career killer. Agreeing to come back for peanuts and show up Dubnyk and then get bounced to a contender is a great move for Bryz, if that's what he's done. The team knew at the point they signed him they weren't going anywhere, and does anybody think Bryz seriously wants to split games playing behind the worst defense in the league getting booed 2/3 games at home?

Honestly I think he likes it in Edmonton. He doesn't have the same pressure he had in Philly, and he probably won't have it for the next two years either if he decides to stay. I could easily see him sign a two-year contract, play well during those years and then finish his career somewhere else. I think he's very comfortable in Edmonton and I don't think it hurts with the russians on the team (and more on the way). I don't see why he would leave and even though he is not our long-term solution in net he is a good enough solution until we find our #1 goalie going forward.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Normally I'd say that all that matters is the money, and that he has the Oilers by the balls given they don't have a goalie under contract next season.

But then I remembered that he's still getting paid by Philly anyways, so he'd probably just opt not to stick around for such a **** show unless he's that intent on doubling up and milking two teams at once.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad