Speculation: What happens next...

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
No you're right, GMs just take a majority vote among his scouts to decide every draft pick. Common knowledge that GMs just take votes, they don't act on their own opinions. Drafting is simple this way.

Scouts generally go to bat for guys that they feel really strongly about. They make their arguments, and if it's agreed on, they can get their guy. This is what happens at the scouting meetings. That's why you hear about players being certain scouts draft picks. So, it's not about majority or anything like that. Scouts have players and they own them, and they generally continue to stump for them as their careers progress.

Last edited:

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Scouts generally go to bat for guys that they feel really strongly about. They make their arguments, and if it's agreed on, they can get their guy. This is what happens at the scouting meeting. That's why you here about players being certain scouts draft picks.

I know this, this IS common knowledge. StW prefers to insist that if there is only a slight majority opinion on a certain pick, that the GM always, or SHOULD always, go with the slight majority and never goes with his own opinion on a player.

Ex - player A carries 55% vote, player B carries 45% vote, the GM likes player B. StW thinks the GM ALWAYS defers to the slight majority and puts his opinion aside. If the GM goes with his own opinion with the 45%, he's a tyrant.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
How so? That's EXACTLY what you insisted.
You make it sound like every scout sits there with their own list of rankings and when it comes time to pick they scramble to voice who they think should be used at that pick. In reality they all get together weeks before the draft and put together a board thats a general consensus of which players should go where. After that they get put into a computer and when pick #8 comes up the computer shows Tim Murray who they had in that spot and thus is where BPA happens; thats how Murray worked.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
You make it sound like every scout sits there with their own list of rankings and when it comes time to pick they scramble to voice who they think should be used at that pick. In reality they all get together weeks before the draft and put together a board thats a general consensus of which players should go where. After that they get put into a computer and when pick #8 comes up the computer shows Tim Murray who they had in that spot and thus is where BPA happens; thats how Murray worked.

And you're making it sound like every player has a clear consensus ranking, and that Murray wouldn't have any input into the process or make his own decision if any rankings are this )( close.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
IIRC, he hasn't been working the amateur side. They need someone who has been in it all year running the show.

Not sure this is accurate. Director of player personnel is a nebulous title, but I don't think it precludes amateur scouting which was Devine's stock and trade for a dozen years.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
What happens next?
Terry Pegula presser at 10am tomorrow, that's what happens next.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
It just gets worse and worse, they fire the heads of both amateur and pro scouting. We hadn't even held our end of season scouting meetings.

There is no reason to fire anybody until the next GM is ready to hire his own people. Pegula and Brandon cutting of their nose to spite their faces.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
It just gets worse and worse, they fire the heads of both amateur and pro scouting. We hadn't even held our end of season scouting meetings.

There is no reason to fire anybody until the next GM is ready to hire his own people. Pegula and Brandon cutting of their nose to spite their faces.

The firing of scouts is odd to me as well. Unless their is something more going on behind the scenes it's just terrible timing...in Devine I trust though...

wshahbaz

Dec 15, 2010
who cares

everything Pegula has done as an owner of both teams has been nothing short of abysmal. this guy has gotten it wrong over and over again

Why should this time be different. He needs to really get it ****ing right this time and hand the coaching search off to the GM he picks.

Ness

New Age Retro Hippie
Dec 5, 2008
Denver
who cares

everything Pegula has done as an owner of both teams has been nothing short of abysmal. this guy has gotten it wrong over and over again

Why should this time be different. He needs to really get it ****ing right this time and hand the coaching search off to the GM he picks.

Making sure both the Sabres and Bills stay in Buffalo was a pretty decent move IMO

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
who cares

what dont you get that he didnt pick the coach?

Captain Holt

Fun? I was never fun! You take that back
Jul 10, 2013
Buffalo
As far as I'm concerned since Terry Pegula assured that the Bills and Sabres will stay in Buffalo for a very long time, he can come to my house and take a dump on my kitchen floor and I'd thank him with a smile.

They've been owners for 5 years. Let him grow into it.

Kublakhan

Lets Go Buffalo !!!
Jan 24, 2013
North Tonawanda
I wonder what the new coach/gm will think about the current roster, if they will just change the system for players or make player changes to fix this team..

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
The firing of scouts is odd to me as well. Unless their is something more going on behind the scenes it's just terrible timing...in Devine I trust though...

iirc, the head scouts were Murray hires. Makes sense that you'd throw out Murray's guys if you're throwing out Murray. I'm sure Devine can manage the draft if he needs to.

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017
Lombardi as VP/Pres of hockey ops (keep him far away from the GM job). He's very well respected, would give us someone at least in the sam league as Shanahan in terms of level of respect around the league.

So many GM choices that its really impossible to choose. I've seen rumors about Macilver (?). Spelling was def wrong but I'm referring to Chicago's assistant GM. Took over as assistant GM in 2011. Not sure how I feel about this due to the progressive down-spiral the Hawks have gone through since their last cup win. Was involved in Saad, Leddy trades that helped cap situation but killed the HAwks the past two years not having those two players. Also gave $10.5 million to Toews who at the time was definitely considered the #2 center in the NHL but I'm not sure can even be considered a surefire in the top 5 anymore (Crosby, Malkin, McDavid, Getzlaf, Tavares, Backstrom, Stamkos, Eichel (next year)), especially after an awful last two go's at the playoffs.

Draft picks haven't shown up at all. Hasn't helped that Hawks haven't had a high pick since Kane/Toews due to success. Buuuut...Hawks have two players playing for them from 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012 drafts (41 picks in that time period) in Schmaltz and Hartman and those two, while young, didn't show up at all when it mattered (neither did Toews, Kane, Panarin). Schmaltz(20th) was drafted ahead of Fabbri(21st), Kapanen(22nd), Pastrnak(25th), Goldobin(27th), Ho-Sang(28th).

Positives: 3 Cups for the Hawks
Would also probably raise the chance we get Dineen, moving onto...

Coach: Sutter, Ruff, Dineen, Therrien (please no), Quinn

I think Dineen bringing in his offensive, fast transition, with VERY FEW stretch passes and an active D that join the rush system with ROR-Eichel-Reinhart C spine would put this current roster (with no additions and with the loss of either Georges, Matty Mo, Ennis to LA) in the 90-100 point range next year with WC1 or #3 division seed.

p.s. "Awful go's" for Toews is due to that fact that he has one goal in his past 12 playoff games. OG Toews was clutch as f***. Kaner really disappeared too.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
iirc, the head scouts were Murray hires. Makes sense that you'd throw out Murray's guys if you're throwing out Murray. I'm sure Devine can manage the draft if he needs to.

It does make sense, but aren't there more of Murray's hires in the scouting system? It still makes me wonder if there was some level of disappointment in the work or draft results that Murray, Royce, and Murphy had. Not saying any disappointment would be totally justified, but I still wonder.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad