What happens if ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MePutPuckInNet

Jan 1, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
What happens if they have a lockout and nobody cares?
I mean....it seems to me that it's possible. Frankly, I'm starting to get used to the idea, and even as a die-hard hockey lovin' Canadian boy....I'm starting to really not give a flying monkey doo doo if there's a season or not.

So, I'm just wondering.....what if more and more people start to think and feel that way, too? Then what? Bettman and Goodenow, in their determined efforts not to blink first, can sit in a corner and stare at each other for eternity.... Way to go, guys! What a legacy! :shakehead

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
The longterm interest of the league is NOT served by an extended lockout.

It may be a year or two of no hockey before both sides realize the costs.

Why not stop the joint bleeding (in the game of race-car chicken, who don't BOTH blink).

Otherwise diehard fans like us will lose out and many mainstream fans might get out of the NHL fan business and do something else as a hobby.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The last thing the NHL wants is for people like me to find a life.

And I'm probably going to school in January. They might want to get something done by Christmas, before I start going out every night with friends and find a girlfriend.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
If they cant do anything, then why not just open up camp in December. THe players acknowledge, they cant collectively bargain an agreement that will save the owners enough money, so they'll just all come back without a CBA. Forget the union. All players are free agents, Walsh, Meehan, Gandler will be busy men. Players will be with no prior contracts. Like in any business, owners can pay them whatever they can afford. And players are free to work for whoever they wish throughout their entire career, not just once they reach 31.

Oh and no more drafting players. I wonder who will bid the Crosby bidding war. Think a $100mil contract is possible?

At least now, we'll find out what the real market value for players is when the collectively bargained artificial salary lowering marketplace is removed.

Nash, Crosby, Heatley, Ovechkin will certainly get some good money, Leclair and Holik wont anymore. That should be good for small markets.

Think about it. No more CBA. It will be beautiful. No more collectively bargaining as an independent union. All players are independent contractors all the time. Just like plumbers, carpenters, and lawyers. Maybe the owners want this now. I bet the players will go for it.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
The NHL will probably lose a couple of fans if they butt head with the players.

And they shouldn't give a **** about that.

Thinking long term is much better. If they had worried less about stuff like this last CBA, we wouldn't be here today.

Much as they lose fans now, they can gain new ones (and get the old ones back) later.

There's no reason to try and please fans under a business model where 20 teams or so are not making money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad