What happens if Luongo retires after the 2017-18 season?

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
With regards to the penalties put in place with tail sliding contracts.

If I remember correctly, if a player retires before their contract completes, then somehow the team is "in debt" to the league for the cap space that was saved throughout the active period of the contract. I also seem to recall that it is the team that signed the player that takes the burden, not the team they retire with.

Is that correct? If Luongo retires after 2017-18 season, does Vancouver take a penalty? If so, how much cap over how long?

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Bh6uzX3CcAQFnWt.png

https://twitter.com/mirtle/status/440982011251945472?lang=en

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
Since I haven't seen enough of Florida of late. Does he look ready to retire soon? Whats the most likely scenario?

FelixPotvin29

Oct 21, 2012
Why doesnt he just sign in the KHL *wink wink nudge nudge* and void his NHL contract?

Im sure there is a way around it if that doesnt work. The NHL really doesnt penalize teams for breaking the rules.

The real punishment falls on those teams that play within the rules and operate at a handicap because other teams cheat and the NHL allows them too.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Why doesnt he just sign in the KHL *wink wink nudge nudge* and void his NHL contract?

Im sure there is a way around it if that doesnt work. The NHL really doesnt penalize teams for breaking the rules.

The real punishment falls on those teams that play within the rules and operate at a handicap because other teams cheat and the NHL allows them too.

He's over 35 so even if he were to retire like Kovalchuk his cap hit is going to be there.

I think all of these teams that signed cap circumventing contracts will get away with it. Teams will just conveniently put the players on LTIR so they don't screw the team that gave them that player.

FelixPotvin29

Oct 21, 2012
He's over 35 so even if he were to retire like Kovalchuk his cap hit is going to be there.

I think all of these teams that signed cap circumventing contracts will get away with it. Teams will just conveniently put the players on LTIR so they don't screw the team that gave them that player.

Agreed. Well said.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
I hope the NHL follows through with the penalties, just so the fans can be entertained by the suffering ;)

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

The 35 rule only applies if the player is age 35+ at the time the contract starts.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Since I haven't seen enough of Florida of late. Does he look ready to retire soon? Whats the most likely scenario?

He had hip surgery (hip bone shaving) last off-season and another injury later in the year. He will decline every year after this one but still has the ability to be above average. With Reimer here for the next little while, I'd like to see a 45/37 split to keep them both fresh for playoffs if we make it. I know some aren't too keen on the near 50% splits and prefer a true #1 but Reimer hasn't done enough to earn it so let the season dictate who gets the slight edge in games played.

In the end, I see him coming back until his body says no more and chasing a Cup run the next 2 years, probably retired come 2020, orrrrr maybe he tries to play until 50 just like Jagr :sarcasm:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

A) he signed the deal before he was 35, so no

B) As did Kovalchuk, his cap hit went off the books when he went on the involuntary retirement list. The Devils just have a $250,000 recapture hit going forward until he returns.

Rex Banner

Custom User Title
Aug 22, 2013
I'd just like to once again voice my displeasure at the league for punishing teams for contracts that were legal in the previous CBA.

FelixPotvin29

Oct 21, 2012
I'd just like to once again voice my displeasure at the league for punishing teams for contracts that were legal in the previous CBA.

Im pretty sure this particular contract was signed after a stern warning from the NHL. I could be wrong though.

Eitherway you have a fundamental problem when the NHL is insisting punishment will come for these contacts and having other GMs believe in it and then totally doing pretty much nothing about it.

Fined a pick?
Finding a loophole and allowing said team to recoup assests?
Winning a lottery at the same time this is going on?
Etc.

Sounds like a hell of a deal for a major competitive advantage on the ice.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
The penalty is too punitive for a retroactive penalty. What would make sense would be to apply the net benefit to a team over the number of years the player played of the contract, or over the number of years the player played for that team (ie, the penalty mirrors the benefit). It still penalizes teams for violating the spirit of the former CBA, but it's something teams can work around.

Hammman

Apr 3, 2010
Just like the Kovalchuk draft pick, there's no way I see the league following through with this; it's an absurd over-punishment for what was, at the time, a legal contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad