What happened with Maxim Noreau?

P10p

May 15, 2012
What went on with Maxim Noreau and the Wild? I know he was always said to be undersized, but when he was here we had him for 3yrs and in two of those yrs he put up 50+ pt seasons in the AHL. During that time he got 6 games in the NHL, hardly a fair shake imo. Just seems like one of those guys with a lot of potential that never got a shot. Been just arounf .7 ppg playing Swiss-A. Done nothing but put up numbers his whole career, is only 27 and has only gotten a 6 game shot to make it lol

P10p

May 15, 2012
Yeah, I just mean in terms of why he wasn't given a legit shot when he did nothing but performed well. Could have had potential to blossom imo if handled correctly.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Yeah, I just mean in terms of why he wasn't given a legit shot when he did nothing but performed well. Could have had potential to blossom imo if handled correctly.

he never looked good in the NHL. one of those superstar AHLr, NHL bust types. I bet he'd kill in the KHL.

Randy BoBandy

Cheeseburger Party
May 9, 2011
Sunnyvale
I wondered about this for a while too. Undrafted and puts up huge points in Houston, but it seemed as if he wasn't even an option for the NHL roster. Very weird. If Dumba were to come in and do the same thing people would be clamoring that he is the next Subban. Was there just too many wholes in his all around game? Its hard to believe you are a bad player if you put up those kind of numbers as a defenseman in the AHL. Spurgeon proves size doesn't matter. So why? Its beyond me.

There are a lot of AHL point getters that make me wonder. Why not him? I think a lot has to do with draft pedigree. Or just scouts having doubts about them taking their talents to the next level. But when you put up some very good points I don't understand how some players never get a real shot with an NHL team. I'm sure there are plenty of great players who just never got a shot and we will never know about.

I see that Colorado signed him to a two year deal this summer though. So good for him.

Last edited:

P10p

May 15, 2012
he played 6 NHL games, not enough to say he's bad imo, especially with what he has done in every other league he has played in. Idk, always had a soft spot for this guy lol

Randy BoBandy

Cheeseburger Party
May 9, 2011
Sunnyvale
he played 6 NHL games, not enough to say he's bad imo, especially with what he has done in every other league he has played in. Idk, always had a soft spot for this guy lol

I feel for the the guy too and I agree, a 6 game call up at the end of the year when no one gives a **** anymore isn't a chance.

Interview
Here is a great interview he did after signing with Colorado this summer. Seems he was getting frustrated with the lack of chances he was getting in his years with the Aeros. Rightfully so too. I would have to look back at our defensive depth to remember who was getting called up and who was on the roster to really see who was getting a shot and why Noreau wasn't. Bad talent managment imo. I didn't see how trading a promising offensive defenseman for a bottom six AHLer was a good plan back then and still don't.

We will see how he does this year...

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
He didn't stay with the Wild because he looked absolutely terrified on the ice. He was extremely timid and looked like someone who did not even want to be there. Played like a guy saying in his mind "please don't put me out there".

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
Might just be that his hockey sense wasn't at the NHL level. And a small guy needs a solid head on his shoulders just to survive. I mean, look at Spurgeon. He hasn't proved that size doesn't matter, but he has proved that small guys can be really effective if they're smart about their game.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
He didn't stay with the Wild because he looked absolutely terrified on the ice. He was extremely timid and looked like someone who did not even want to be there. Played like a guy saying in his mind "please don't put me out there".

i remember the same thing. Its normal for a first couple games for a kid to look a little lost on the ice but you don't want to give the impression you're panicky, and he did that. Like the recruit who will pull the pin from the grenade at the range and chuck the pin.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Noreau is one of those guys who is tagged with the perennial AHL all-star moniker. In reality, he never was given a shot, but he was considered too much of a rover to be given a serious look at the NHL. He might have the talent, but we'll never know.

P10p

May 15, 2012
Can't blame a kid for having nerves. Who knows, he may have settled and produced big points for us....

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
I'm not going to worry too much, unless he starts putting up big points for a different NHL team.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
So, the best Wild team ever has started camp and the whereabouts of Maxim Noreau is the top thread in the last 24 hours?

I love having very little questions on how the roster is going to work out :)

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Seems like a guy that is top 6 or not at all.

There is a long list of those.

They do well in their roles when called upon due to injury trades etc... But over a full season or even in back to back stints there is just not enough there.

Give me a chance at top line minutes and top PP time and i will score a goal in the NHL. 17 regular minutes and 2 PP is alot for one goal in 82 games.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

They do well in their roles when called upon due to injury trades etc... But over a full season or even in back to back stints there is just not enough there.

Give me a chance at top line minutes and top PP time and i will score a goal in the NHL. 17 regular minutes and 2 PP is alot for one goal in 82 games.

He's a defenseman. Will make Colorado and will be their 6th or 7th dman this year.

P10p

May 15, 2012

So much flaw in this...

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
This is why you should never get excited about huge point producers in the AHL. Doesn't mean a thing.

Erik Westrum was an AHL all-star would could eclipse the 100pt mark, yet was not even worth the press-box at the NHL level.

True, in 6 games you can't tell if that's all the guy will pan out to be at the NHL level, but if he doesn't do ANYTHING that is NHL ice-time worthy, then he shouldn't be on NHL ice. Maxim did not belong on NHL ice.

When you earn a taste, you need to do something that shows you deserve more than just a taste. He failed to do even that.

Last edited:

P10p

May 15, 2012
This is why you should never get excited about huge point producers in the AHL. Doesn't mean a thing.

Erik Westrum was an AHL all-star would could eclipse the 100pt mark, yet was not even worth the press-box at the NHL level.

True, in 6 games you can't tell if that's all the guy will pan out to be at the NHL level, but if he doesn't do ANYTHING that is NHL ice-time worthy, then he shouldn't be on NHL ice. Maxim did not belong on NHL ice.

When you earn a taste, you need to do something that shows you deserve more than just a taste. He failed to do even that.

But thats the thing. He didn't fail to earn a chance. He did everything he could do in the AHL to earn a chance. Management traded him when he was 24-25, normally when a d-man starts coming into his own.

I'm not sitting here saying "Maxim Noreau is this generational talent and we should kept him because look at how hes producing now" But he could have been a great talent if developed properly. He obviously has a decent level of skill. Just was mis-handled and blocked out of the teams plans before he even had a chance.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
He had 6 games to prove he deserved more than just a taste and couldn't even give a flash. Even Zucker has shown flashes at times.

When you're a long shot like This kid was, you can't afford to look lost and scared every time you're put out there.

He's an ahl all star that will never amount to an nhl player. That's a pretty common thing actually.

Take AHL all star ability with a grain of salt. It means nothing in the big scheme of things. I think you just got caught up in it with him like many did with Erik Westrum years ago here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad