What happened to the new slashing standard? (TOR-MTL)

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
Are you folks watching the Leafs vs Habs right now? There has been around a dozen slashes that should have been called slashes under the new standard: I have seen many many lesser slashes called routinely in other games this season.

Am I crazy? What is going on here? There absolutely needs to be better consistency on this.

Morlu

Nov 4, 2011
Are you folks watching the Leafs vs Habs right now? There has been around a dozen slashes that should have been called slashes under the new standard: I have seen many many lesser slashes called routinely in other games this season.

Am I crazy? What is going on here? There absolutely needs to be better consistency on this.

NHL being the NHL?

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
I don't know, but this games sucks. The Leafs are playing to the opponent's level.

Hopefully they step up and bury this mediocre team in the third.

Brownbeard

Oct 6, 2017
This always happens, doesn't it? The NHL cracks down on something, then it slowly creeps back in as refs become lenient/games get faster and more meaningful. I mean, the same thing has happened with the faceoff rule even if it was over-called in the pre-season.

Reactions: Sureves

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Matthews was slashed in the hands on his highlight reel goal shot. Should have been a goal and a penalty.

Last Gleaming

Jul 21, 2013
I for one am glad they didnt call it. Refs calling penalties every 4 minutes just ruins the game. Let them play and create chances.

There are other ways of looking at this, of course. Letting players hack opponents like it's a box lacrosse game when they're out of position to play the puck is more my idea of what can ruin a game.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Weber crosschecked his guy, there were other slashes. Just brutal.
Happy OTT is getting calls though, won't complain if it's one-sided in our favour, but CGY should have had some more last night.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Slackest I've seen the refs all year.

I've never hated being tougher on slashing, even if it results in half the game being special teams for the time being. Players can't be hacking at fingers and hands because they suck an/or are slow or made a bad play themselves. My issue was always with the stick and shin taps. Saw a 1 handed tap to the back of the leg called the other day. Saw a player literally not have his stick off the ice slide it along the ice at the puck hitting the opposing blade and puck with his blade(a good play) and got called for slashing.

You whack a guy on the hands or say his stick within 6 inches of his hands thereabouts(dangerous) it should be a penalty. A small tap to any other body part isn't what they wanted to crack down on, which was slashing the hands. Call the rest of the slash/tap locations as they always have.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
The league probably called more then normal for the first 5 games of the season just to set a standard then will go to calling it a little less aggressive as the season goes on and players adjust. There has been way too many calls this year on gentle taps that just disrupt the play. The slash should only be for actual hacking like that Crosby shit last year. A tap to just make a guy lose control a bit unless on break away or something shouldn't be a big issue. I get you want massive scoring but I'd rather watch earned offense then inflated unearned scoring.

navyduck

Sep 26, 2011
Should have watched the ducks/avalanche game last night. Ducks got murdered by the new slashing enforcement. You don't even have to make contact anymore apparently, from one of those calls, to have a slash called against you if the motion was there. You can't even stock check anymore with how snowflake these calls are

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Meh... what else is new? Every new crackdown ends up like this... overcalled in the pre-season... slightly less at the start of the season... by mid-season everyone is like "what crackdown?" as it ends up back to normal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad