What happened to Markov?

Habsoil

Mar 24, 2012
Fort mac
Hes always been a premier nhl defencemen but always considered soft!
Last 2 games hes played with fire n passion.

Not backing down, feisty, somewhat mean!
Where did this new style come from?
If it lasts, it could be the difference in a 1st/2nd round exit or going deeper

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Markov always snaps when he feels he's been cheapshotted. Love it when he loses it.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
He was only really soft early in his career, one of my favourite things about Markov is how he reacts when someone tries to mess with him.

But he's been generally more physical this year than he used to be. He got more physical as his career went on in general, but he's been more proactive about starting stuff since his return from injury - maybe he learned that at Vityaz. :laugh: This year he's been anything but soft.

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
I seem to be one of a few here that doesn't like it when Markov is like this.

I think some guys play better when things happen ex Subban, and some guys are not effected one way or another ex in Plek, Emelin but I think Markov doesn't usually play as well when he playing like that.

He was great vs Boston for every other I remember Markov getting into it, it takes him off his game, I remember last year, him and Kreicji going at each other and He got burnt so many times, and I remember Kovomav getting Markov to take stupid penalties.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
When Markov does play with an edge, his teammates take notice, especially Emelin.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
I seem to be one of a few here that doesn't like it when Markov is like this.

I think some guys play better when things happen ex Subban, and some guys are not effected one way or another ex in Plek, Emelin but I think Markov doesn't usually play as well when he playing like that.

He was great vs Boston for every other I remember Markov getting into it, it takes him off his game, I remember last year, him and Kreicji going at each other and He got burnt so many times, and I remember Kovomav getting Markov to take stupid penalties.
I agree. Markov shouldnt behave like that too often because he becomes ineffective when he has to start playing hockey again. It didnt bother me too much last night because it was at the end of the game but it definitely takes him out of his element when it happens during the games.

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
Markov was never soft D even in his prime. He is not the most physical but doesn't take **** from anyone.

macavoy

May 27, 2009
Houston, Tx
He was only really soft early in his career, one of my favourite things about Markov is how he reacts when someone tries to mess with him.

But he's been generally more physical this year than he used to be.
He got more physical as his career went on in general, but he's been more proactive about starting stuff since his return from injury - maybe he learned that at Vityaz. :laugh: This year he's been anything but soft.

I noticed this at the beginning of the season. I like it.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
He always had some bite, IMO his injuries are making some people forget. He's no Kaberle.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
I mentioned this during the Bruins game and saw it again last night, honestly I have never seen Markov play as physical as he has in the past 2 games then he has all of his career. He has been great, love seeing that fire in his eyes. Keep it up Marky :handclap:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
He always had some bite, IMO his injuries are making some people forget. He's no Kaberle.

Agreed. Markov was never a push over. He had Komi on his side that always started crap or jumped in right away. Then he got injured. So maybe people noticed it less, he's definitely pushing and shoving a little more, but never been a push over.

Stjonnypopo

Rgesitreed Uesr
Jan 26, 2009
Mount Doom
It's funny how people see him as soft, he's in great shape though. He's 35 and he regularly plays upwards of 25 minutes in a night. The amount of work he put into coming back after his injuries is really impressive too, it took a lot more work than it takes a 22 year old.

I think he can maintain this style/form of play until he's 40. He might slow down a little but speed was never his main skill, it's his vision and poise.

BobBobrovsky*

He's playing for a four year contract, likely from another team.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Markov has never been soft... A guy doesn't have to fight to be tough.

Plekanec and Markov are both pretty rough in the corners and around the net, they just don't fight. Labeling them as soft is just ignorance.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
tumblr_lu8n51M0DJ1qkh90vo1_500.gif

:handclap::yo::handclap:

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
What happened to Markov is that I thought he was done. He looked terribly slow. Clearly he just needed time to adjust after his surgeries and now he's easily our best all-around defenceman again.

I hope we can clinch home ice earlier and give him some rest.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I've never considered him soft. Sure he does not go out of his way to level people but I don't think he has ever been one to back down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad