What Happened to Kyle Turris?

Mustard

Jan 26, 2011
Nashville
He was one of the worst players I've ever seen this season. Not even being sarcastic. Absolutely 0 confidence, weak on his skates, got pushed around and bullied. Hope he never plays another game for us. He missed the net by 5 feet on a 2-on-1 in tight last night. It's been like that all year.

CMDEADLY

Jun 6, 2014
Can Preds fans enlighten us as to what happened to the guy? went from a solid 1B/2A C to barely an NHL player rather fast. What happened? and what could be done about that contract?
He never was very good for the Preds in his two seasons here. He's a softer second line center in a physical west.

Reactions: AgentBrodeur

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
He looks skinny and sickly

I think this is harsh. Turris is an ectomorph. I do think his thin frame is a huge issue though. He's not fast enough to create any space for himself. Once a defender is checking him it's game over. He gets physically dominated. The foot injury didn't help.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
He was one of the worst players I've ever seen this season. Not even being sarcastic. Absolutely 0 confidence, weak on his skates, got pushed around and bullied. Hope he never plays another game for us. He missed the net by 5 feet on a 2-on-1 in tight last night. It's been like that all year.
Unfortunately, as harsh as this sounds, it's pretty much bang on. His numbers are actually a little better than you'd think from watching him. So many games he was just utterly invisible and ineffectual out there.

I don't think teams in the modern era really let players onto the ice if they are so physically impaired that they can't contribute. So the twice-broken foot sounds like a bit of an excuse. He was cleared to play, but when he played he was useless.

We needed a good #2C real bad, motivating that trade, and it seemed like a perfect solution at the time. But it has really been a horrible bust so far. And the contract is just getting started. We got a pretty bum deal from the Sens I say... all the fans seemed to give glowing reports about him, but we have simply not seen that player. :(

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
hes been ass. altho i think he got kind of overrated last year as he played with two wingers who had monster seasons in smith and fiala, but no one could have predicted that hed be this bad this year

oddly enough brassard has also been crap this year, so thats at least one thing ottawa got right in getting rid of those two

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
A lot of sens fans didn't want to give him a long term contract. He should still be decent but he was getting top line mins on Ottawa and maybe a reduced role is throwing his game off

toronto money leafs
Sep 29, 2017
Paris
I never thought he was very good. Somehow all Senators get grossly overrated.
It always happens with small market teams. See: Barkov, Sasha... Yandle, Keith... Bouwmeestee, Jay... boedker, mikael.... Bryzgalov, Ilya... Booth, David.... etc.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
Well he was never a physical specimen, wasn't his biggest asset supposed to be his IQ?

Maybe Nashville just isn't the right fit for him?

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I dont think he's close to being done. I think he was knocked off stride by his injury and then lose confidence in a way that he really never did in Ottawa... He might be overpaid no matter what but he still has the ability to be a solid 2nd liner. Maybe not in the West.

Somewhat ironically, I could see something around Wennberg and Turris. Turris would be a good addition to CLB, whether they re-sign Duchene or not, and they should have plenty of space.

Sens With Benefits

Feb 4, 2010
Canada
In my opinion and granted this is just my opinion. He was very well liked in Ottawa. Him and his wife were a massive part of the community and that’s not an understatement. He was the ambassador for the special needs hockey here and went out of his way for that. He showed up to their banquet immediately after scoring the winner in the overtime game against the Rangers in 2017. He was involved with other charities as well.

He’s a pretty emotional person and I think leaving Ottawa may have impacted his game. Ottawa is the team that rejuvenated his career and turned him into a 2C and not a bust. I’m just speculating but it could be a reason.

Reactions: Trade and Crosside

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
It always happens with small market teams. See: Barkov, Sasha... Yandle, Keith... Bouwmeestee, Jay... boedker, mikael.... Bryzgalov, Ilya... Booth, David.... etc.
What an odd post.

Barkov - 96 points, elite two way game. Not overrated.

Yandle - everyone always knew what he was - an offense only defenseman who can help move the puck but will cost goals against.

Bouwmeester - was actually really good when younger, left Florida as a top pair defenseman, was a top pair defenseman in Calgary until he started getting older. You can't judge his game today and say that he was never good. He wasn't a #1 like some thought, but he was really good.

Boedker - see Yandle, but for forwards.

Bryzgalov - was really good in his early career. He aged out and wasn't as good, but was really good in his younger years.

Booth - Solid top six goal scorer until injuries derailed him completely.

I'm not sure if any of those guys other than Bouwmeester was ever overrated.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad