News Article: What happened to Jim Carey?

ronwm

Aug 4, 2010
(South of) Boston
Like many fans who had witnessed his sudden rise, then Bruins GM Harry Sinden was just as surprised at the sudden fall of a once bright star:

“We sold that trade on getting Jim,” Sinden said. “He was a local kid, and he had just won the Vezina the year before. Everyone in town was excited. When we got Jim, we thought there was a good chance that he could get back to where he had been. But he was pitiful in his first game, and by the end of that season after he played 18 games for us, I said to myself, ‘Wow. This guy can’t stop anything.’

“Jim bore no resemblance to the goalie who had won the Vezina. He was flopping and diving and guessing. Everything was wrong. That was as big a dropoff as I’ve ever seen in a player. And when things didn’t go right, Jim looked everywhere except at himself. He said we didn’t have the right goalie coach. Jim said he wasn’t used to a defense playing like ours, leaving him wide open. He just couldn’t believe it was him. Jim was given a huge [$2 million] contract after just one full year. And the Vezina probably went to his head. It was like getting ready for games wasn’t as important anymore, like he was thinking, ‘It’s all over. I’ve made it.”

Carey played just 10 games in Boston and 10 for Providence of the AHL in 1997-98, not even dressing for the playoffs. He played well in Providence during 1998-99 but was still released by the Bruins on March 1st.

Full story here.

BoyntBergie

Mar 9, 2004
Full story here.

Good read, thanks for sharing.

Nothing horribly new from some of the articles published over the last however many years, though that's the first time I had seen the comments from Harry.

Crazy to think he was the centerpiece of that trade initially, while it was actually Carter and Allison who went on to have the better careers. I remember being at the first game post-trade. Carter actually looked like the best player of the 3. I remember being amazed that a player who skated as poorly as Allison was able to play JRs, nevermind make the NHL, but he certainly proved me wrong. Loved him when he was at the top of his game. Was a fun time being a Bruins fan for a season or 2 there with he and Joe as the 1-2 punch down the middle.

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
I met him personally when he was at the low in his hockey career and was a class act even then.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
I remember his first game in Providence, they got smoked by Worcester 6-0. It was an awful PBruins club, one of the worst in AHL history. One of our own defensemen put it in off Carey's skate as he was circling around the net for the first goal. Probably Jon Rohloff or Charles Paquette or some similar bum from that team. Carey got injured not long after and was out the rest of the year. The next year he played for the all time great PBruins team, but Grahame outshined him and Carey wanted his release and got it.

DOGSTARMAN

Aug 1, 2005
This is the thing about Tim Thomas, just think about how many goalies the Bruins burned through over many years before Thomas finally showed up out of thin air. Fortunately they have Rask now but we'll just have to hope we never go back to the merry-go-round of goalies this team endured. The precursor to the Flyers goalie woes.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
This is the thing about Tim Thomas, just think about how many goalies the Bruins burned through over many years before Thomas finally showed up out of thin air. Fortunately they have Rask now but we'll just have to hope we never go back to the merry-go-round of goalies this team endured. The precursor to the Flyers goalie woes.

Exactly. I remember Moog at the very end of his days here and after that it was a carousel, other than some stability with Dafoe.

I think that this has made me paranoid when it comes to trusting Rask. I'm tainted from years of inconsistency.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad