What happened to Detroit in 2001 playoffs?

Morris

Aug 26, 2006
How could Los Angeles - without their franchise defenseman Rob Blake - beat out Red Wings in the CQF 2001?

I know that Yzerman and Shanahan were sidelined for pretty much the entire series, but Detroit still had Lidstrom, Fedorov, Kozlov, Larionov and was coached by Scotty Bowman.

Bring Back GLR

Commit to the Indian
Nov 8, 2006
Blackhawkville
I'm gonna say cockiness. The Wings were up 2-0 in that series and then lost 4 straight to Felix Potvin of all goalies. The next year they fell behind 2-0 again to the Canucks but then as soon as Lidstrom bombed one out from his own zone on Cloutier the tide turned and then beat them 4 straight en route to winning the Cup. Next year lost 4 straight to Anaheim in the first round though.

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
Game four (specifically Stumpel's BS goal from behind the net) was the difference for the Kings in this series. The Kings' late three-goal rally, with plenty of fortuitous bounces) gave them all the momentum.

If Stumpel doesn't score that second goal, this series is over in five.

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
I'm gonna say cockiness. The Wings were up 2-0 in that series and then lost 4 straight to Felix Potvin of all goalies. The next year they fell behind 2-0 again to the Canucks but then as soon as Lidstrom bombed one out from his own zone on Cloutier the tide turned and then beat them 4 straight en route to winning the Cup. Next year lost 4 straight to Anaheim in the first round though.
Ironic that you poke fun at Potvin. Felix Potvin, of all goalies, had one of the best stretches I have ever seen in my life. From being traded to LA late that season up until Game 7 of the loss to Colorado, he was playing as if he were possessed. Simply an incredible winning streak and the best hockey of his entire career. When Vancouver traded him to LA, the Kings were well out of the playoffs. Potvin single-handedly carried the team to the playoffs, much to the dismay of the hockey world. This was a goalie who was playing sooooooo horribly that he was fired in favor of career minor-leaguer Bob Essensa and Vancouver couldn't even give him away. As soon as he got to LA, he went on fire and played with that intensity until the, eventual Cup-winning, Avs barely trumped his team in Game 7 of the WCSF.

Also, Adam Deadmarsh was playing out of his mind as well and simply destroyed the older and slower Red Wings.

LA was playing as a team with nothing to lose while Detroit were playing nervous with everything to lose.

Last edited:

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
Ironic that you poke fun at Potvin. Felix Potvin, of all goalies, had one of the best stretches I have ever seen in my life. From being traded to LA late that season up until Game 7 of the loss to Colorado, he was playing as if he were possessed. Simply an incredible winning streak and the best hockey of his entire career. When Vancouver traded him to LA, the Kings were well out of the playoffs. Potvin single-handedly carried the team to the playoffs, much to the dismay of the hockey world. This was a goalie who was playing sooooooo horribly that he was fired in favor of career minor-leaguer Bob Essensa and Vancouver couldn't even give him away. As soon as he got to LA, he went on fire and played with that intensity until the, eventual Cup-winning, Avs barely trumped his team in Game 7 of the WCSF.

Also, Adam Deadmarsh was playing out of his mind as well and simply destroyed the older and slower Red Wings.

LA was playing as a team with nothing to lose while Detroit were playing nervous with everything to lose.
That was a very interesting LA team.
The best playoff team in the past 15 years, in terms of assembled players, is imo the 2001 Colorado Avalanche. Everyone was playing at or near their primes. There was a good mix of youth and veteran leadership with all the right pieces.

Tanguay - Sakic - Hejduk
Drury - Forsberg - Niemenen
Hinote - Reinprecht - Messier
Podein - Yelle - Parker

Bourque - Blake
Foote - Skoula
Klemm - De Vries

Roy
Aebischer

It was a very deep line-up. LA, that year, took them to Game 7 and almost eliminated them. Had that happened, it would've imo been one of the greatest upsets of all time, given the circumstances. For example, Bourque's destined year to win the cup, Rob Blake (LA's captain) trade to Colorado for Deadmarsh and a few first rounders, Sakic & Forsberg's 1-2 punch and Roy's determination to win the cup that year.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
not killer depthy

seen better ... like calgary 89 for example

So really they werent a deep team, as seen when Forsberg went down they were essentially a one line team. But they had essentially 5 franchise players. Any one of Forsberg, Sakic, Blake, Bourque, or Roy would have been the best player on most other teams in the league. And arguably at that time even Foote could be regarded as one of the top defenders.

Then 4 very bright young talents in Drury, Hejduk, Tanguay, and Skoula.

Not a deep team, but so much high end talent playing at or near their peaks.

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
not killer depthy

seen better ... like calgary 89 for example
Their depth was alright. But put it in context with the stars they had, they were a great team.

Nonetheless, I did say the past 15 years. Comparisons should be for teams 1993 and after.

Before 1993, we saw some terrific (and disgustingly talented) Pittsburgh, Edmonton, NY Islanders and Montreal teams... After 1993, that Colorado team is the best I've ever seen (in terms of player personnel).

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
that was probably the strongest LA team of the post-gretzky era. they rode the momentum of the detroit upset to an impressive game one victory against colorado before patrick roy, on his way to his third conn smythe, shut the door in all but one of the next six games.

even without blake, they had a pretty good d corps of castoffs from other teams that were all starting to come into their own, led by schneider, who was finally becoming a good two-way defenseman (plus the late season addition by subtraction of one aki berg). they had norstrom and miller in their primes as rock solid defensive guys, and schneider, jaroslav modry, philippe boucher, and a rookie visnovsky (playing mostly pp minutes) as puck movers. the weak link was the regrettable jere karalahti, who was really exposed in the playoffs.

offensively, they had two solid scoring lines, with palffy, deadmarsh, robitaille (who scored 37 goals in the regular season), glen murray, jozef stumpel, and smolinski. and their third line of laperriere, belanger, and emerson really stepped up in the playoffs to give the team three dangerous lines.

i remember thinking this LA team had nowhere to go but up, especially with boucher and modry breaking through offensively the next season. but the jason allison trade, while giving them one of the best lines in the league, also turned them into a one line team, especially since robitaille left for detroit and smolinski had lost a step. but potvin had a great season and they still made the playoffs.

after that, the entire top line ran into serious injury problems and potvin fell off and what had been a promising young team turned back into a doormat. but i rooted for this team pretty hard, and in a way the pre-lockout briere/drury buffalo team, packed with young talent on the verge of breaking through, reminded me a lot of those 2001 kings.

NewtJorden

Unitas est Invicta
Aug 9, 2006
Rimouski
How could Los Angeles - without their franchise defenseman Rob Blake - beat out Red Wings in the CQF 2001?

I know that Yzerman and Shanahan were sidelined for pretty much the entire series, but Detroit still had Lidstrom, Fedorov, Kozlov, Larionov and was coached by Scotty Bowman.

Potvin got hot at the right time

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad