What happened to Craig Anderson?

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I'd love some quotes to back this up.

He's shown he can go on a run in the playoffs, but it's usually hab fans that pump his tires because they've seen how he can get.

Honestly, I'm not going through all the posts/threads over the years, just saying what I've seen. Tended to be in a lot of the Elliott threads over the years.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Crazy peaks, crazy valleys.

He's been especially hot and cold since returning from an injury in mid march. Though I find it hard to fault him for how these past two games have gone. As much as I hated the third goal tonight he was hung out to dry in New York.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
He definitely hasn't been very good the last 3 games. I thought the first goal was pretty stoppable too. Not completely or mostly his fault, like goal 3 was, it was stoppable though. He seems to be letting in at least one stoppable goal since game 2. Sometimes it's just a puck handling gaffe.

It's just a 3 game sample size and I'm sure he's had 3 straight games in his career that were even worse than this. Holtby has been even worse in his last 3 or 4 games, though I know he's gotten a lot of heat too.

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
Andy is usually a lot better than what he's shown in the playoffs so far..

But then again, the team as a whole has been a lot better.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Boston not a good team

We ended up AHEAD of you in the standings.

We achieved that, without having the best performance by rookies since 1981 (= three rookies with more than 60 points) and five players with more than 60 points, like YOU. Enjoy this one in a lifetime performance: it's already in the past.
We did hang on in the playoffs, never losing more than by one goal (15-13 the series goals count), with 4 OT games and lasted 6 games... All this while playing without 4 of our top 6 D AND 1 of our 2 top C (a guy who lead the league during the playoffs TWICE), with the remaining elite C (Bergeron) playing with a sports hernia.
YOU on the other hand, were playing with all your roster. And that roster had players having career years (Kadri with more than 30 goals? Since when???) and rookies performing like nothing of the sort had been seen in 35 years. And you still did NOT do better than us. Let that settle in your mind. :nod:

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Ottawa IMO is just cooling down and falling back down to earth. I feel they overachieved this year and next year could miss the playoffs. Not saying they are a bad team because they aren't, but I think it was just "one of those years". JMO and I stand by it.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
He was fine in Game 4, not sure I'd blame him for most of the goals scored on him in Games 3 and 4.

Most of the them I said, there is one goal that was definitely all on him.

The rest of the team is getting shut down hard and that makes the goalie's life a lot harder.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Exposed for what the really is, a bottom 10 starter

You do realize Anderson has always had top 10 advanced stats and overall very good save percentage on mediocre to bad defensive teams? When he's on an actual good defensive team like Sens for a portion of the regular season and lockout, he's a monster. He's not a bottom 10 starter, he's a middle of the pack starter.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
You do realize Anderson has always had top 10 advanced stats and overall very good save percentage on mediocre to bad defensive teams? When he's on an actual good defensive team like Sens for a portion of the regular season and lockout, he's a monster. He's not a bottom 10 starter, he's a middle of the pack starter.

Since 08-09 in seasons with less then 41 starts, he has a sv% of 92.7%. When it's more than 41 starts, it's just 91.4%. This is where he is overrated, and people never really took this critique seriously. Whether it's tiring out or just not being able to handle the heavy load of that kind of a goalie, it's something that's always been against him.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
2 bad games and there's a "What happened to.." thread?

He's probably still the same guy. :dunno:

jw2

Jun 13, 2012
Boston
Rangers have been swarming the last 3 games, from what I saw.

Ottawas defense looks tired and hurt.
Unless goals I missed were soft.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
Never thought Anderson was anything special but I also get the impression someone is checking box scores and not watching games. Anderson has been pretty darn good and kept his team in games that could have been well out of hand in this series. Team in front of him looks like they're in October mode.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Last night's game could have been a lot worse if he didn't come up with some big saves. It's not all on him.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
What happened to this guy? He's been pretty lights out in previous playoffs and even against the Bruins was pretty great. Now he lets in 4 goals per game. I wonder if the back up will start the next game? Or has has previous playoff numbers been inflated by playing the Habs so many times?

I'm sorry to say this but it's not all about the goalie when a team looses.

Rangers have played better and Ottawa worse the two last games (also some injury problems).

Open Mind

Nov 14, 2014
He's let in a few bad goals, but made a fair share of amazing big saves also. Honestly, the Sens losses are mostly on too many Sens players not showing up. They've scored two goals the past two games and you can't expect a goalie to pitch a shutout every night for a W.

Yes, Anderson let in a few stinkers in those losses. But I'm not sure you can expect bad goals to deflate players who are playing flat to begin with, especially when he made some critical huge saves on breakaways and odd man rushes, and the players didn't really respond to any of those either.

I don't know if they have a bunch of injuries, a confidence lapse or what. But when your best player is hurting, you expect the players to rally around him and attempt to up their game. Most of the Sens aren't doing that or anything resembling it. Too many of them look like passengers waiting for someone else to do something for them.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Since 08-09 in seasons with less then 41 starts, he has a sv% of 92.7%. When it's more than 41 starts, it's just 91.4%. This is where he is overrated, and people never really took this critique seriously. Whether it's tiring out or just not being able to handle the heavy load of that kind of a goalie, it's something that's always been against him.

He's overrated, but he isn't a bottom 10 starter (I know you didn't say he is).

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009
He's been good.

They scored on a 2 on 0 for their second goal. The first one the guy goes in alone. He stops Grabner on a breakaway and Nash on one hell of a shot. The third goal was again a 2 on 1 with an open shot and the fourth one was a 6 on 3 where Phaneuf secretly switched teams without telling anyone.

He's been fine.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

If you had bothered to look into you'd find it's just a coincidence. Anderson has a tendency to start slow in the months of October and November and his numbers usually get better as the season goes on. Hockey reference is a good source to find splits.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad