What happened to Craig Anderson?

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
If you had bothered to look into you'd find it's just a coincidence. Anderson has a tendency to start slow in the months of October and November and his numbers usually get better as the season goes on. Hockey reference is a good source to find splits.

This narrative isn't true when you go season by season.

11/12 was really the only season when it was true, and his game load was much heavier early in the year when he had poor stats, and later in the year he had a lesser load and better stats. Season 10/11 to an extent, but going from Colorado to Ottawa had a big influence on that, and then the lockout year skews it. Seasons 10/11 and 12/13, really skew his overall splits.

In every other season, there is not a clear correlation.

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
Me thinks the scores could have been worse without him. One goal last night may have been soft but............a 2 on 0?

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
He's been good.

They scored on a 2 on 0 for their second goal. The first one the guy goes in alone. He stops Grabner on a breakaway and Nash on one hell of a shot. The third goal was again a 2 on 1 with an open shot and the fourth one was a 6 on 3 where Phaneuf secretly switched teams without telling anyone.

He's been fine.

3rd goal last night was really bad and deflating. pretty much sealed the NYR victory.

Reached across his body with glove and got beat blocker side on a 60 foot fadeaway wrister. he seems to have solved the playing the puck gaffes and if he does that I think he will be okay going forward.

But I think if Karlsson can't go or isn't close to 100%, the team in front of him will struggle mightily to win the series.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
People saying that he is overrated are kidding themselves.

He's 3rd among active goaltenders in terms of all-time career playoff save percentage (37 games played).

1 Braden Holtby 0.933
2 Tuukka Rask 0.928
3 Craig Anderson 0.928
4 Ben Bishop 0.927
5 Martin Jones 0.926
6 Jaroslav Halak 0.924
7 Matt Murray 0.924
8 Henrik Lundqvist 0.923
9 Jake Allen 0.922
10 Jonathan Quick 0.921
11 Corey Crawford 0.919
12 Roberto Luongo 0.918
13 Pekka Rinne 0.918
14 Jim Howard 0.918
15 Cam Ward 0.917
16 Frederik Andersen 0.915
17 Ryan Miller 0.915
18 Semyon Varlamov 0.915
19 Carey Price 0.914
20 Marc-Andre Fleury 0.909
21 Brian Elliott 0.908
22 Antti Niemi 0.905
23 Devan Dubnyk 0.903

He's had some uncharacteristic gaffes in this post-season but he's never quite looked right after coming back after his injury late in the season.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
People saying that he is overrated are kidding themselves.

He's 3rd among active goaltenders in terms of all-time career playoff save percentage (37 games played).

Using stats like this to imply that he's better than he really is, is the exact reason why he's overrated on HF.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Using stats like this to imply that he's better than he really is, is the exact reason why he's overrated on HF.

Ignoring stats like this is clear evidence of the underlying agendas of some posters.

He's money in the playoffs, which is what the OP was referring to. Sorry if that offends you.

Last edited:

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
As always, the goalie gets crapped on...the Sens D is also on the hook here, there is only so much a goalie can do...

Bingo. The Rangers defense is terrible. They are currently facing the only one in the playoffs that is worse. It's easy to forget all the saves Anderson has made to keep the Sens in some of these games after a howler or two.

Stepan/Nash one timer
Grabner multiple breakaways

The guy has played pretty well.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Ignoring stats like this is clear evidence of the underlying agendas of some posters.

He's money in the playoffs, which is what the OP was referring to. Sorry if that offends you.

Ignoring the whole picture is clear evidence as well.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
He's had a bad few games. If people want to ignore his relevant body of work, and only focus on a few games, then they can go right ahead. lol

darglor

Feb 17, 2012
Ignoring the whole picture is clear evidence as well.
I dunno... I seem to remember him outplaying Hank last time we played the Rangers in the playoffs. I seem to remember him outplaying Price too...

That said, I feel Anderson usually does better in a system that lets him see a lot of rubber. High shot volume, as long as they're not continually golden opportunities, is when he plays his best. Ottawa's been pretty good about playing to that strength overall in his tenure here, which does drive his save percentage up a bit, but he's been fantastic in general. This year's playoffs is the first time where I'm disappointed in his play.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I dunno... I seem to remember him outplaying Hank last time we played the Rangers. I seem to remember him outplaying Price too.

That said, I feel Anderson usually does better in a system that lets him see a lot of rubber. High shot volume, as long as they're not continually golden opportunities, is when he plays his best. Ottawa's been pretty good about playing to that strength overall in his tenure here, which does drive his save percentage up a bit, but he's been fantastic in general. This year's playoffs is the first time where I'm disappointed in his play.

My comments haven't been playoff specific, he's typically been very good in the playoffs, no debate there. Even going to minors and juniors, he's been a very good playoff goalie.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
This narrative isn't true when you go season by season.

11/12 was really the only season when it was true, and his game load was much heavier early in the year when he had poor stats, and later in the year he had a lesser load and better stats. Season 10/11 to an extent, but going from Colorado to Ottawa had a big influence on that, and then the lockout year skews it. Seasons 10/11 and 12/13, really skew his overall splits.

In every other season, there is not a clear correlation.

You have no idea what you are talking about.

11/12 the "lesser load" was because he missed a month after slicing his hand while cutting chicken. From Dec20 to Feb22 (last game before injury) he played started 28 of 29 games while posting a .933 sv% in that time. From Jan1 to the end of the season, Anderson had a.931 sv%. for the whole season he had a .914sv%

12/13 Anderson started 15 of 18 games before suffering a knee injury, in that time he posted a .952sv%. he returned an played 9 of the final 11 with a .917 sv%. He finished the year with a .941 sv%

13/14 Anderson started 28 of 38 from Dec1 to March8 before getting a shot off the collarbone from Weber and missing the next 3 weeks. From dec 1 to the end of the season he had a .918 sv%. for the whole season he had .911 sv%

14-15 Anderson started 31 of the first 45 games before suffering an injury to his blocker hand. In that time he posted a .927 sv%. He played 4 more games and finished the year with a .923 sv%

15-16 Anderson started 43 of 52 from Nov1 to Feb 27 games and posted a .919 sv% before suffering a knee injury. he finished the year with a .916 sv%

16-17 Anderson started 19 of 26 games to start the season posting a .924 sv% before leaving the because of family issues. Anderson returned and started 21 of the final 29 games and posted a .929sv%. he finished the year with a .926 sv%

I understand how this comes across as cherry picking put thats not my purpose. Anderson has always had a fairly heavy workload, and plays in 70% (if not more) of the games he is available. Anderson has had some poor starts to a season and my intention is not to dismiss that fact. My point is that Anderson does not perform worse as the season progresses or when he plays a heavy workload, those are lazy conclusions.

Last edited:

Section32

May 26, 2011
CT
Series is not over yet...but I was vilified when I thought it crazy that many Sen's fans were calling the goalies even if not a slight edge to Anderson in some cases.

The playoff experience between the two guys can not be overlooked.

A lot of guys would have lost all confidence after blowing the game like the Rangers did in Game 2

HL can turn up is focus like few other sin the game.

I think Anderson has had just a huge weight on his shoulders, and maybe it is wearing on him at this point.

zenator

Jan 1, 2004
Anderson is a funny goalie. He has crazy red hot streaks, and streaks of average.

What I do like, is he can be having a bad game, but shake it off and play well in the 3rd or OT and win the game. Craig Anderson is clutch quite often. He is usually at his best in close games

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad