What grade you would give to Columbus Blue Jackets first 20 seasons in the NHL?

What grade you would give to Columbus Blue Jackets first 20 seasons in the NHL?

• Total voters

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
Only things keeping it from being an F in my books is that they survived this long. I bumped them to a D because they had those couple years of hope (beating Tampa). Otherwise, it's a pretty low grade.

Agreed with this, and about the first decade being awful (besides Nash/ Voracek). Was going to use recency bias and say that I liked this team which had its moments against teams like TB and a supposed contender in Toronto, but then they go and piss off the #1 C that fit their mold so well and shipped him off for a struggling Laine, and now they might need to rebuild again.

I'll be nice and not give an F, but it's pretty close since they're sinking back down again and their recent moves (Domi, Laine) look like duds (kudos for finding Seth Jones for RyJo and getting Roslovic as a throw-in though, and Kekalainen is pretty good at drafting, so there's some building blocks there).

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
D but if you want to give them an F I wouldn't criticize.

Got two major individual trophies (by one player), a Rocket, and one playoff win. I don't think they've ever won the division or come particularly close. They've become one of those "hard to play against" teams that are all sound and fury but don't have the talent to compete against the top of the league.

It's not good and it isn't exactly looking up going forward.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I gave them a C-. I would’ve gone D, but their expansion draft options were pretty rough and they truly had to start from the very bottom. Had the misfortune of picking relatively high in a few weaker drafts early on.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
C or C+ due to the last few years. I'm willing to give them a pass for the early bit of the franchise since the early success of the most recent XF is an outlier, so it's tough to judge older XFs through the same lens IMO.

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
Always had a soft spot for Columbus and their fans since the sold out Nationwide arena cheered their team loud as ever when the Bruins knocked them out in game 6.

With that said, things have clearly taken a turn for the worst since then, but I hope this rebuild/re-tool/bounce back year they're planning for (whichever it is) goes well.

I give it a D though. Not great

Reactions: majormajor

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I judge franchises on a combination of a]success and b]how close they are to having success. The former is about actual series wins/Cups/high finishes in the division, the latter is about maybe a young team that's on the brink of being a contender.

IMO, Columbus has largely failed at both. They haven't had any team success (getting out of the first round 1 time in franchise history is really bad), and looking at their roster they're not exactly looking like a rebuilding team that's got a handful of elite blue chip prospects that will turn them into a contender within the next 3 to 4 seasons.

So while they haven't been horrifically bad enough to warrant an F, I'd say they haven't had enough success over that timeframe to be more than a D.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
D- because they still exist. Basically no-on ice success and not really an upward trajectory.

They avoid an F because they haven't folded yet.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I initially voted F but I think that's too harsh. They get a D because at least they've tried to push the chips in and go for it rather than plodding along pointlessly like the Wild

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
C. Average. They could've been better. But it could've been worse.

They've been better than traditional franchises like Toronto & Edmonton. Specifically from 2006 onward.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
C. Average. They could've been better. But it could've been worse.

They've been better than traditional franchises like Toronto & Edmonton. Specifically from 2006 onward.

Well yeah, the only legit reason they get an awful grade is being an awful team pre ~2007. They look better and better the further you start looking. They're 11th in wins leaguewide over the last 5 seasons. Not much of a story there.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
I don't think people realize how close Columbus was in the past two years. They ran into some very, very good playoff opponents. That sweep of Tampa wasn't a fluke and they were dead even with Boston except Rask outplayed Bobrovski.

Last year Tampa was so dialed in, no one was going to beat them and it still took an insane OT win to break Columbus.

As for the first 5-7 years, I give them a pass because the expansion rules were brutal.

Reactions: Monk

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I said C-. They've never been an Oilers/Buffaloesque dumpster fire, but never been a contender either. They've been overall below average. Better the last few years until this season, but through 20 years not great. Very bland, never terribly exciting, the uniforms are boilerplate average, don't stand out. Columbus isn't the most happening town in North America either. Overall, below average, but not that far off. C- is fair to me.

Over the twenty years, the Blue Jackets franchise really only gave us two things of note: 1. Being the reason nets went up around the glass so we can't catch pucks anymore and 2. The Tampa upset (their crowning moment as a franchise)

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
One series win in 20 years, that's a D from me.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
On the ice, maybe D.

But they've managed to make NHL hockey possible in Columbus, keep the team in there while tripling the value of the franchise. I do think they've been losing money most their years, but that's still like a B+ performance, all things considered. Way better than what their contemporaries the Atlanta Thrashers did.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad