What grade you would give to Columbus Blue Jackets first 20 seasons in the NHL?

What grade you would give to Columbus Blue Jackets first 20 seasons in the NHL?

• Total voters

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
First 15 seasons, twice in the play-offs. only once, more wins than losses (13-14 : 43 wins)
Prior to this season, 4 times in a row reached to the play-offs, which is great.

Best regular season - 16-17 : 50 wins, 108 points
Worst regular season - 01-02 : 22 wins, 57 points

Best season : 18-19 : 2nd most wins and points, 47 & 98,
won their first play-off series and q'd to the 2nd round

A complete gong show season, falling to the last place of their division
and having 3rd worst season of their franchise.
- only teams that have fewer points this season what Jackets;
Canucks, Devils, Ducks and Sabres

- No team awards

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'm going to vote "B" just to troll George.

Obviously they took a long time to dig out from their early expansion troubles. Their last decade has had a lot of wild ups and downs but it seems kind of average taken altogether.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
I gave them a D+, there early years were horrid, especially the drafting:

2000- R.Klesla 4th overall
2001- P.Leclaire 8th overall
2002- R.Nash (the exception of bad drafting)
2003- N.Zherdev 4th overall
2004- A.Picard 8th overall
2005- G.Brule 6th overall
2006- D.Brassard 6th overall meh
2007- J.Voracek 7th overall good but nothing special
2008- N.Filatov
2009- J.Moore 21st overall
2010- R.Johansen same as voracek, good but nothing special

that is an atrocious list overall , Doug McLean set that franchise back to the Stone Age with that drafting

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
I'll give them a C. The worst thing they did, for me at least, was rushing Gilbert Brule. I was a huge Giants fan back then, and that guy was seriously something special. They rushed him into the league and he got injured being physically immature.

Broad Street Buddies

Jun 16, 2018
Montréal

2008- N.Filatov

that is an atrocious list overall , Doug McLean set that franchise back to the Stone Age with that drafting
Voracek has 735 points and only Patrick Kane has more points in his draft class.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
That first decade is a clear F, though the last 10 years I'd have closer to a C. Maybe bump that up to a C+ if only due to the absolute joy they brought the league by sweeping TB in 2019.

D or D+ overall.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Only things keeping it from being an F in my books is that they survived this long. I bumped them to a D because they had those couple years of hope (beating Tampa). Otherwise, it's a pretty low grade.

Reactions: Clint Eastwood

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA

2008- N.Filatov

I would say they aren't horrible at drafting. They are horrible at developing. Aside from the shock pick of Dubois over Puli I'm pretty sure those players where drafted around where they were suppose to be.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
How different would things be if Columbus had the Vegas and Seattle expansion draft rules when they were welcomed into existence. History could be dramatically different. Shame - their fans deserve some sustained success & taste of excellence.

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
I would say they aren't horrible at drafting. They are horrible at developing. Aside from the shock pick of Dubois over Puli I'm pretty sure those players where drafted around where they were suppose to be.

Dubois was rated directly behind him and there was pretty constant chatter of 'they need a center' so I don't think it came to a shock, really.

Their first round drafting doesn't even look terrible to me. Most of those players had 6+ seasons in the league, and some like Voracek were/are premier players. I also think they had very good drafting after the first round.

Their issues come from trades or lack of, ufa or lack of, and a lack of a killer instinct during Nash's tenure (man, I still hate Nash. But he was a solid goal scorer for CBJ. Just not the franchise player they needed)

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
F. They've won one playoff series.

How is it anything else?

Made the playoffs six times too, or about every third year, should be at least a D.

They also have a winning record against a half of the teams in the league, so I'll make it C-.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Every other expansion team since the 90s has made at least a conference final within their first 20 years with most making the SCF.

Good for them, but I fail to see how Columbus would be significantly better off if they made it a round further once. Would you give Winnipeg/Atlanta something else than an F because of that despite making the playoffs less often in more years than Columbus?

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Since they entered the league, they have the worst Points% out of every team. I don’t really see a reason to give them anything better than a D. What’s the argument in their favour?

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
I give Columbus a D and truly see no argument for giving them a better grade. Obviously if we take the last 10 years, it’s not as bad, but overall, there’s nothing to brag about.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
They then trade voracek, 2011 1st (Sean couturier) and a 3rd (N.Cousins)
For J.Carter. Then they trade Carter for J.Johnson and a conditional 1st. Yikes

I mean, not their fault HoLOLmgren traded Carter months after giving him an 11 year deal and he was rightfully pissed about it. Plus, his buddy was traded to an emerging contender/destination city and he got to sent to a rebuilding club in Ohio. Carter shouldn't of thrown his pity party but at least CBJ went for it and tried to improve themselves.

PLD was and is the right pick.

How different would things be if Columbus had the Vegas and Seattle expansion draft rules when they were welcomed into existence. History could be dramatically different. Shame - their fans deserve some sustained success & taste of excellence.

+ didnt have another team entering the league at the same time as them.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Other teams had the same rules but did much, much better than them.

They do have the unfortunate disadvantage of being in Ohio though...

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
I mean, not their fault HoLOLmgren traded Carter months after giving him an 11 year deal and he was rightfully pissed about it. Plus, his buddy was traded to an emerging contender/destination city and he got to sent to a rebuilding club in Ohio. Carter shouldn't of thrown his pity party but at least CBJ went for it and tried to improve themselves.

PLD was and is the right pick.

+ didnt have another team entering the league at the same time as them.
I agree. But I was meaning at the time Pulijarvi was projected ahaed of Dubois by the vast majority and that is ignoring the Finnish connection as well

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Went with a C. Thoroughly below average across the board, but they're but not a strain on the league or an embarrassment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad