What GMs would you not want to trade with?

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Wilson and Poile seem like sleeping giants who generally win when a trade ultimately goes down. I wouldn't want to trade with those guys.

The name I'll throw into the ring is Brad Treliving. He does well on most of his trades and many of his trades have snippets that mention that he spent months if not years to consummate. The guy is ridonkculously patient and thorough. Hamonic for instance was a year and a half, Ryan was a target for a year prior to being signed in FA, apparently Dougie was quietly on the block for several seasons etc. If I were waiting on a call from Brad, I'd probably think he lost my phone number a dozen times before the deal goes through.

But yeah, that article's conclusion is a little bizarre.
Poile killed it in 1 trade.....but what else has he won?
I'm too lazy to look them all up but recently its been even to slightly on the losing end.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
There's overvaluing players, a signing a 4th line grinder to 3rd line money; and there's being dead set about keeping your core together, that you're shelling out half your cap for 4 players.

-Tavares took less than he could get elsewhere to sign in Toronto.
-Nylander is going to be a turning point for RFA contracts, but if you think paying what he did for a 22 year old with two 60 point seasons and great numbers all around is off, then I'm not sure what you were expecting.
-Matthews was always going to get paid. He's a big center and he has the best G/60 in the NHL since 2016-2017. If Toronto didn't want to pay him someone else would have offer-sheeted him.
-You wouldn't want to keep Marner.

It's not Dubas' fault that young players have realized they shouldn't be leaving money on the table so their teams can sign the likes of Alzner, Lucic, Zaitsev or Neal.

Reactions: NHL WAR

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
If Julien Brisebois was basically there for everything alongside Yzerman than I would not be inclined to want to trade with him if he's anything alike

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Dubas seems like a poor negotiator so I'd love to negotiate with him. I'd be scared of Chevy.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I think if I were any other GM in the league and I'd just made a trade with Brian MacLellan, I'd be very concerned that I either lost the deal or wasted my day swapping players that will all fail to amount to anything. His early rentals like Weber and Glencross were a little iffy but low-ish cost, then once he shook off all that McPhee he'd been smothered in the team snatched up Oshie, Eller, Shattenkirk, and Kempny for nothing of real consequence. Regular depth trading has been good (moving Laich, acquiring Winnik) although his best depth moves were signings (Connolly, DSP, Dowd, etc.), and I'm not sure he's truly lost a trade in his tenure.

Things may not have worked out as intended, as in Shattenkirk's case, but I don't think you can necessarily blame the GM. Have to pull the trigger on that trade if you think you can go all the way.

Ray Shero doens't lose many trades but sometimes wins by a long-shot

Id say hes a top-3 GM in the trade game

Pretty much this mold. A few people mentioned McPhee earlier in this thread, I'm struggling to think of a trade Shero has made that hurts as bad as McPhee's Forsberg "gambit". Would rather "safe" years with big wins in between than a guy making swings that appear to actively set things back when they fail.

Koivu11

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
If you’re afraid to make trades with certain GMs you probably shouldn’t be a GM.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Rutherford hasn’t definitively won a trade in like 3 years.
Rutherford has sucked over the last 18 months. He is awful at rafting and even worse at signing free agents. He was shrewd with trades for several years when we first hired him, but he’s been below average since we won the cup.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'd love to trade with Rutherford.

For one thing, he's a great trade partner in the sense that he's very active. If you're looking for a shake up trade, he's a good guy to call. He's also a great collector of other people's discards, which makes him useful if you want to shift cap.

He's also pretty prone to getting excited about a guy and spending what it takes. He doesn't mind overspending. See Reaves for the prime example from Penguins time.

Most importantly, most of his deals seem to be win-win. Usually guys who trade with him get what they want.

QcFlames12

Feb 1, 2012
People putting Dubas in here is a joke. If ever there is a position where respect is earned over time its being a GM. Gm's with tons of experience will know your moves even before you know what your doing.

As for GM's I would not want to deal with: David Poile, Doug wilson, Rutherford, Lou and Burke.

The Savy and intelligence of these GM's is something else.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
I guess Lou.

You even so much as go home and tell your wife that you spoke to him about a possible trade and you'll wake up to the trade off the table and a horse head in your bed.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
It’s David Poile #1

Subban for Weber
Forsberg for Erat
His drafting speaks for itself
Doesn’t seem to over pay his players either

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
If the Leafs keep trading Picks to Bob Murray the Ducks will eventually be set for life.
Players picked with picks the Leafs sent: John Gibson, Rickard Rakell, Josh Manson, Kase, Marcus Petterssen, Comtois, Steel & the list goes on.

Rob Bowen

Jan 13, 2019
If the Leafs keep trading Picks to Bob Murray the Ducks will eventually be set for life.
Players picked with picks the Leafs sent: John Gibson, Rickard Rakell, Josh Manson, Kase, Marcus Petterssen, Comtois, Steel & the list goes on.
That recent losing streak says otherwise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad