What former hot rivalries do you miss?

Peter9

Apr 1, 2008
Los Angeles, USA
The Canadiens-Red Wings rivalry that existed when I started watching NHL hockey in 1953. Two dynasty teams, the greatest ever seen to that point, with the Canadiens eventually eclipsing the Wings as the best ever. I guess it's so long ago that you could argue I'm no longer entitled to miss it.

Merya

Jokerit & Finland; anti-theist
Sep 23, 2008
Helsinki
Wings vs. Avs from the more recent ones.
USSR vs Czhechoslovakia in the bad old commie days.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Not that it doesn't still have some juice but Canada/Russia games from the 1980s when the commies were more hated and still a mystery

How about Domi vs. Probert? This rivalry carried on regardless of which team each player was playing with. This often overshadowed the actual game

Edmonton vs. Calgary. It is crazy really when you think of it. The last time these two had a classic playoff series was 1991 and it was a gem. Since then there has been one - count it - one time the two of them played in the playoffs at the same time and this was 2006 and they still didn't play each other.

I'd love to have fond nostalgia about Gretzky vs. Lemieux (and I still do) but we have Crosby and Ovechkin and right now and to tell you the truth I think this one is even better because they play each other more often, they are healthy, and they are more physical with each other on the ice

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Toronto and Ottawa still meet each other on a regular basis but it doesn't have the same energy as it did before the lockout.

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
I'd love to have fond nostalgia about Gretzky vs. Lemieux (and I still do) but we have Crosby and Ovechkin and right now and to tell you the truth I think this one is even better because they play each other more often, they are healthy, and they are more physical with each other on the ice

But, but, but the media plays it up - it's not a REEEEAL rivalry!! :sarcasm:

Seriously, when did it stop being okay to look forward to the occasions when the top two players in the league went head-to-head?

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
I grew up in the Adams and agree that just about every matchup was great. Such a tremendous amount of bad blood, born of all the playoff series against one another.

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
Presuming you're not old enough to have seen the Maroons, how can you miss a rivalry that ceased to exist before you were even born?

It was meant as a joke. But that said, image the street wars in today's Montreal hockey climate. There are riots over a series win, image what would happen if the Habs and Maroons met in the playoffs, LOL!

Scott1980

Apr 27, 2010
Toronto
Some before my time, but

Lafleur / Bossy (Whose the best right winger?)

Howe / Richard (Same as above)

Bruins / Habs 1950s to today

Espo brothers going at it! Wow! you had one of the best centers vs one of the best forwards!

Calgary / Vancouver (Shame they have me only three times from 89 till today. They always BRING IT!)

And there are others to, that don't get talked about much, or media hyped. But I feel they were intense:

Boston / NY Rangers 1969/70 to 1972/73 (Wow! You'd NEVER think Phil Esposito would someday be a Ranger, eh?)

Edmonton / Chicago 1982/83 to 1991/92 (Wanna know why the Hawks fans get fired up to this day when they sing that National Anthem?)

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
But, but, but the media plays it up - it's not a REEEEAL rivalry!! :sarcasm:

Seriously, when did it stop being okay to look forward to the occasions when the top two players in the league went head-to-head?

Are there people who think this rivalry is overhyped? It sure isn't. The media plays it up but they certainly don't have to. These guys entered the NHL the exact same season, they battled for rookie of the year, they have played in one of the most exciting playoff series of all-time and they've had some trash talk towards each other (to an extent) off the ice. This is flat out a natural rivalry, and it's only 5 years old. Shame on the people that think the media makes a big issue of it (I know you were being sarcastic though)

golfortennis

Oct 25, 2007
Isles/Rangers among those that haven't been listed. Just doesn't seem like Lafontaine's ambo would get rocked as he left the arena these days....

Apr 1, 2010
Are there people who think this rivalry is overhyped? It sure isn't. The media plays it up but they certainly don't have to. These guys entered the NHL the exact same season, they battled for rookie of the year, they have played in one of the most exciting playoff series of all-time and they've had some trash talk towards each other (to an extent) off the ice. This is flat out a natural rivalry, and it's only 5 years old. Shame on the people that think the media makes a big issue of it (I know you were being sarcastic though)
It's only like if Lemieux had been drafted by STL. Only Sid and Ovy don't have to wait to the conference finals to meet. (Which is good or bad, take your pick)

Can we leave Tom and Jerry out of this for once?
Sorry.

No question, the most intense rivalry on or off the ice I have ever seen.
Quebec and MTL was insane. I loved that there was a hunter brother on each team, and they could have 4-5 bench clearing brawls in a 7 game series.

The late 80's BOA(Battle of Alberta), was like the late 90's Av's-Wings only more intense. It was basically the two best teams in the league in the 1st or 2nd rnd for years, due to the playoff format.

Even though I miss the old Norris Div. rivalies more, the three I mentioned above were special.

Not trying to troll, but if OTT had won one or two of the series against the Leafs that rivalry could have been a special one.

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON

Maybe I'm giving too much of a voice to the kiddies at HF who take everything Bettman says or does and runs with it in the opposite direction, but there was a lot of talk about "Well, I won't be watching the Winter Classic this year since it will just be a Sid/Ovie lovefest", same with two years ago with people going out of their way to not watch the Pens/Caps series.

Again, I may be silly for assuming that the opinions of some of these clowns actually carries over to the three dimensional world, but it still seems like, somewhere along the way, it stopped being okay to like a good player or team, lest you be labelled a bandwagonner.

Not trying to troll, but if OTT had won one or two of the series against the Leafs that rivalry could have been a special one.

I agree that a more balanced outcome over the four series would have definitely made it special, but it was still pretty awesome to be in on. As crushing as some of those defeats were (crapping the bed in game 5 in 2000 with a late goal in regulation, crapping the bed in game 6 in 2002 with a stupid penalty, crapping the bed in game 7 in 2004 with floor-hockey-calibre goaltending), it was still a very exciting brand of hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00