Speculation: What Finnish players/NHL ready prospects are available?

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
Well we lost Patrik Virta on June 1 which I feel was a stupid decision not to sign him.

We just signed Tarmo Reunanen to an ELC but he will go to the AHL next season. We do have Ville Meskanen in the AHL who could break into the opening night roster.

Other than that I don't think there are any Finnish players who are available who could push for a roster spot and I don't think we will trade for a Finish player for the sake of it. Kakko's English is actually very good.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Habs are probably listening to offers on Lehkonen and Armia. Looking for a top 4 LHD. Depth players and middling pick/prospect deals are of no interest though.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
This is assuming NJ doesn't choose Kakko, who has out performed Hughes in both the WJC and the WC this year?
Puljujarvi, Kapanen, and Donskoi are the first 3 i can think of for this year (not including Laine)
Grandlund, Koivu for next year
Donskoi will most likely re-sign with Jose though

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Habs are probably listening to offers on Lehkonen and Armia. Looking for a top 4 LHD. Depth players and middling pick/prospect deals are of no interest though.

Interesting, might be something there. Skjei+2nd rounder for Lehkonen + 15th overall

Claesson for Armia

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
Interesting, might be something there. Skjei+2nd rounder for Lehkonen + 15th overall

Claesson for Armia
Hell No from NYR perspective.
Not a fan of either team but Montreal gets robbed in this deal lol skjei isn't worth 15th OA alone

You seem to not have watch Skjei play. Skjei >> Lehkonen and its not even close.

I think you are really over valuing Lehkonen here.

Reactions: Ana Crusis

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014

You seem to not have watch Skjei play. Skjei >> Lehkonen and its not even close.

Its also a pretty good draft for defensemen. 15th overall could easily be a heinola. Lehkonen is a serviceable guy and he's only 23, brings a physical game and he's solid defensively. Not to mention he will bring as much offense as skjei does. So adding 15 is just too much, maybe a 2nd or a different add. What exactly about skjei makes him twice as good as lehkonen? It isn't the offense and lehkonen is solid defensively for a 23 year old 3 years into his career

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
I inquired a while ago about Filppula and how he performed and if the Isles were looking to resign him. That's the perfect guy for this IMO. Play the Marleau role, look out for the kid, kind of a go between so his parents have someone they can talk to and feel comfortable with, someone who's got a wife and kids who speak Finnish and eat Finnish food and do all the little things that keep a person from missing home, But also a guy you don't have to worry about if he's not playing every night. I don't even know if Filp checks all those boxes but that's what I was hoping to find.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Julius Honka is available for sure. He hasn't shown he can be a regular NHL player .

Reactions: Johno

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
Julius Honka is available for sure. He hasn't shown he can be a regular NHL player .

The coveted, elusive RHD! available for the cheap cheap! Premium quality, guaranteed finnish speaking ability

and importantly: worthy hockey smile
Honka1.0.0.jpg

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
If Rangers were to acquire Lehkonen through trade with the Habs to help Kakko "acclimate" to the NHL, and Kakko learn to have Lehky's work ethic and drive, Kakko is going to become a super star... not just a star!

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010

Its tough to take your opinion on the trade too seriously when you don't even acknowledge the most valuable piece in it (15 OA)

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Not a fan of either team but Montreal gets robbed in this deal lol skjei isn't worth 15th OA alone

Where is Montreal? Are they hoping to contend? Are they in need of defense? I ask because I honestly don't know. A young, top 4 defenseman locked up long term at a reasonable price is most certainly worth the 15th overall pick. I think there is very little to debate there.

The debate is whether Montreal is in a position to make a move like that and I honestly don't know. I look at them like I looked at the Rangers during Lundqvists prime. With a guy like Carey Price, you are going to be a playoff bubble team every year at the absolute minimum. He is just that good. Does Bergevin feel that his window is now and a top 4 defenseman is the piece needed to vault Montreal from a bubble team to a legitimate playoff threat? Could be.

For the record, I am not advocating trading Skjei for the 15th overall. I think it does nothing for the Rangers and it may do nothing for Montreal, but I think for sure he is *worth* the 15th overall should Montreal have the kind of need.

Does that make sense?

NateB19

Feb 25, 2016
Well we lost Patrik Virta on June 1 which I feel was a stupid decision not to sign him.

We just signed Tarmo Reunanen to an ELC but he will go to the AHL next season. We do have Ville Meskanen in the AHL who could break into the opening night roster.

Other than that I don't think there are any Finnish players who are available who could push for a roster spot and I don't think we will trade for a Finish player for the sake of it. Kakko's English is actually very good.
Reunanen will go back to the Liiga if he doesn't make the NHL. It's in his contract.

Reactions: Arwin

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
Where is Montreal? Are they hoping to contend? Are they in need of defense? I ask because I honestly don't know. A young, top 4 defenseman locked up long term at a reasonable price is most certainly worth the 15th overall pick. I think there is very little to debate there.

The debate is whether Montreal is in a position to make a move like that and I honestly don't know. I look at them like I looked at the Rangers during Lundqvists prime. With a guy like Carey Price, you are going to be a playoff bubble team every year at the absolute minimum. He is just that good. Does Bergevin feel that his window is now and a top 4 defenseman is the piece needed to vault Montreal from a bubble team to a legitimate playoff threat? Could be.

For the record, I am not advocating trading Skjei for the 15th overall. I think it does nothing for the Rangers and it may do nothing for Montreal, but I think for sure he is *worth* the 15th overall should Montreal have the kind of need.

Does that make sense?

I think skjei is top 4 on the Rangers but doesn't necessarily mean he's a legit top 4 everywhere. Although Montreal would use him that way, they are better off going for heinola with that pick, they aren't contending by any means and didn't even make the playoffs. Heinola will be a stud and lehkonen is a solid young depth guy who defends and scores more than skjei does.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad