What exactly is a puck moving D man?

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
Does it mean that he can easily skate out of his own zone with skilled stick handling and skating? Or does it mean that he has great vision with passes coming out of the defensive zone to start a break out?

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Does it mean that he can easily skate out of his own zone with skilled stick handling and skating? Or does it mean that he has great vision with passes coming out of the defensive zone to start a break out?
I think it's both. You have to be able to move the puck out of danger - either by skating it out or passing it out.

McDLT

I'm a style boy for life
Mar 1, 2016
Calgary
I honestly thought that it was just a D man that was really good at making that first pass. I thought that if they were a "puck rushing D man" then they were good at skating it out.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
can move the puck succesfully out of their zone one way or another while keeping possession for their team consistently

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Someone who is really strong at creating controlled zone exits, either with skating or passing.
Pretty much. Can be primarily through passing like a Ryan Suter, or through their skating as well like Erik Karlsson (I know he's excellent passing out of his zone as well).

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I've always thought of a puck mover as someone who is great at passing the puck out of the zone. While a puck rusher tends to opt to skate it out. Most puck rushers are also good puck movers. But not all puck movers are great puck rushers.

Reactions: Slyfox

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I feel like the emphasis on all 6 defensemen being able to skate/pass the puck out of the zone quickly is blurring the distinction between an offensive defenseman and a defensive (or stay-at-home) defenseman. There are some holdovers (Orpik for instance) and some young guys who are exceptions, but increasingly defensemen are expected to be able to skate, pass, and check to reach any significant level of play.

As a result, you get guys like Provorov, Werenski, and Hanifin who are all adept at playing a 200 foot game.

Last edited:

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I always felt it was a defenseman who can generate offense from his own zone, whether it's through skating or passing.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
A guy who can make the play transition the other way. The breakout pass is huge in getting speed through the neutral zone.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I feel like the emphasis on all 6 defensemen being able to skate/pass the puck out of the zone quickly is blurring the distinction between an offensive defenseman and a defensive (or stay-at-home) defenseman. There are some holdovers (Orpik for instance) and some young guys who are exceptions, but increasingly defensemen are expected to be able to skate, pass, and check to reach any significant level of play.

As a result, you get guys like Provorov, Werenski, and Hanifin who are all adept at playing a 200 foot game.

This this this.

Another skill that you will hear about more in the future is holding the blue line. Jets are really good at this.

cactusjack

Apr 3, 2015
D-men who could get the puck out of the defensive zone either by skating it, or a great 1st pass. Not someone who usually gets the puck out using glass/board.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I've always thought of a puck mover as someone who is great at passing the puck out of the zone. While a puck rusher tends to opt to skate it out. Most puck rushers are also good puck movers. But not all puck movers are great puck rushers.

Yeah, that's mostly how I use it too. Although sometimes I use "puck-moving" for guys who are capable of both. I generally don't distinguish a guy as a puck-rusher unless he's really good at it. Like a Darnell Nurse type or Quinn Hughes. I'd say those guys are primarily puck-rushers instead of puck-movers, but I don't think it's wrong to call them puck-moving defensemen either.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Both, and more. A puck moving defenceman is a player that uses whatever abilities they have to move to puck. It could be great puck handling, smart chips off the boards, tape to tape stretch passes... whatever relevant skill. The best puck moving defenceman are good at multiple aspects.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
One of those dumb made up hockey terms people use. Usually as a misnomer.

Usually offensive/PP guys who are suspect defensively get labeled with that term.

Any good defensemen will be good at moving the puck out the zone.

Reactions: Jarey Curry

Tweed

Jun 25, 2006
One of those dumb made up hockey terms people use. Usually as a misnomer.

Usually offensive/PP guys who are suspect defensively get labeled with that term.

Any good defensemen will be good at moving the puck out the zone.

Please list more "dumb made up hockey terms people use".

:popcorn:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad