What exactly are we seeing right now from Vegas?

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Most treams have a couple of A players , a few B players, a bunch of Cs, a few Ds, and maybe a couple of Fs
Golden Knights have a quite a few Bs and the rest Cs
No As no Ds and no Fs.
Meaning that teams can’t really exploit a few player. It shows in ice time
Dmen almost all over 20 minutes a game
No forward over 20 minutes a game

MA Fleury says "Hi"

severian

Aug 19, 2007
Westfield
I would say close to zero, seeing as many of the losing teams rolled in the day of the game, and with Fleury and Subban in net, the Golden Knights have been very good on the road.

They have a decent road record but their home record is ridiculous. There has to be something to that.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Their expansion choices were incredibly underrated coming into the season, seriously remember when people were legitimately saying they'd be lucky to win 20 games all season, it's just insane with the talent they got.

They got 4 top 6 players from two teams! Add in Neal and Perron and that's their entire top 6 from four teams, not including players that were due for a breakout like Karlsson.

The quality of the players left exposed is a big reason why they're so successful, everyone buying into Gallant's system is equally as important.

The groupthink on the quality of players Vegas got was mostly based on Vegas not taking some guys that were clearly only there because of arranged deals. I think people wanted to see Vegas slam dunk every pick and when they supposedly didn't people were quick to knock the players they did have. I thought the roster was pretty solid from the jump but I didn't think they'd be this good. Especially without Shipachyov (who I overrated considerably) and Methot.

Beyond that, Marchesseault has really improved on his game in a big way. Someone in this thread said Vegas has no "A players" but Marchesseault really plays like one now. He's roving the entire offensive zone taking shots from everywhere and when he's not, his playmaking has been wonderful. I mean the assist on Karlsson's goal is evidence of that. Someone may say Anaheim defended it poorly, but he manages to make 2 or 3 passes like that a game. Alex Tuch has been a very pleasant surprise, from that trade I'd add Haula as well. And with Karlsson, I'm still not sold just yet. His ability to find the right areas to score just seems almost lucky but if he keeps showing that tendency then it might just display high hockey IQ. In any event, Karlsson's numbers last year and his performance this preseason left a lot to be desired. At one point I think I wanted Vegas to waive him but he's the top goal scorer now.

It's not just that Gallant's system works, I think he has a quality that I liked in Boudreau that he seems to get a lot more out of players that other coaches might not have been able to find.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I don't think they have a single d-man who is a top pairing d-man on paper. Maybe Theodore and that's a big maybe given his lack of experience so far. Honestly, I wouldn't have thought a single d-man aside from Theodore would have any business playing anywhere but bottom pairing before this year. I also think the only forwards who are slotted where they'd seem to belong on paper are Neal, Jam, Smith (all top 6 guys arguably) Tuch (fine third line player) and Bellmare (solid 4c). Karlsson's career high was 25 points and now he's playing 1C - but he already has 29 in 35.

On paper, Imo, they looked like the worst team in the league by a fair margin. Obviously, out on the ice there's something different happening. It's fascinating.

Well you're entitled to your opinion but it's my opinion you start watching them and rethink some of your on paper impressions. Players aren't restricted to one level for the entirety of their careers.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
I wonder if this will have any impact on the way teams get built.

Vegas may be enlightening the world on how ineffective superstar high salary is in a cap league.

McDavid like salaries depleting rosters of quality depth players doing more harm than good.

Perhaps the talent coming into the league is so close that it's better to sign a bunch of decent talent to 1 year deals and getting an ultra motivated group of players.

Or heck maybe it's best to flip your roster every year so no one gets comfortable. We see coaches getting changed to infuse new life into the team. Perhaps it's the group of players themselves that goes stale and complacent playing with each other and their guarantee'd contracts?

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Wouldn't shock me to see them in the conference final.

It's like a dog playing a piano.

I'm super curious to see how they fare in the playoffs. When motivational play is even.

I have a feeling they'll do well regardless. While Pittsburgh won the last two cups and Crosby even won the playoff mvp in both runs. I never really got the feeling that Crosby was necessary.. nor Malkin for that matter. It was more just that team playing their system to a T and working hard.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Seriously. An expansion team with 23 players that have never played together before are currently 1st place in the Western conference near midway through the season. Everyone, myself included predicted them as a bottom 5 team in the league. Every expansion team that has ever come into the NHL has had embarrassingly bad records their inaugural years no matter who they drafted and signed in the offseason.

Is Vegas a top team? A middle of the pack team getting some good puck luck? Or are we seeing a fluke from a bad team that will eventually run out of gas?

Has the feel of a future Hockey movie. Granted, there's a long way to go but its off to an amazingly good start about a Cinderella team that rallied around a city at a time of crisis.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Well you're entitled to your opinion but it's my opinion you start watching them and rethink some of your on paper impressions. Players aren't restricted to one level for the entirety of their careers.
That’s sort of my point, until this year these guys would seem to make a terrible hockey team. This year, they all seemed to grow really well in perfect sync, which is remarkable.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
That’s sort of my point, until this year these guys would seem to make a terrible hockey team. This year, they all seemed to grow really well in perfect sync, which is remarkable.
But more than how they're coming together and working their asses off, Vegas has guys that have taken their game to a whole new level. Marchessault was far more one dimensional prior to coming to vegas. Theodore has cleaned up a lot of his defensive failings and is now pushing 2-3c quality defender hard. Miller and Schmidt are thriving with more responsibility. I could go on.

The younger players are really coming up quick.

As a side note to the thread in general, one thing no one is mentioning is Vegas is extremely well conditioned. They never look tired even in the second game of a back to back. Gallant has these guys in great shape and his shift management is fantastic.

Reactions: hangman005

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Imo there is a real factor of being a surprise team. So much of outcoaching the opposition is about having a dossier on the other team, and that can take more than a year to refine, being based on specifics about their core players. I'm sure part of what's bringing down the Penguins now is that all eyes are on them and so many teams have devoted mental energy on figuring out how to beat them. The Knights are starting fresh with everyone else still not fully understanding how they win games, and yet someone like Gallant still knows the strengths and weaknesses of all the other teams.

The Knights will fall back down as they become more established. Imo, the talent just isn't there. They don't have standard important pieces like that 1D or 1C.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
On top of the aforementioned reasons (everyone having something to prove, good coaching, etc), one thing mentioned in the Players Tribune article that isn't given enough credit is they had the opportunity to build the team from scratch as a whole. They didn't have to deal with problems other teams have: being handcuffed by big or bad contracts, completing the roster with just filler players, putting up with passengers on the team, etc.... The players they picked were done so with purpose.

Vegas? VEGAS! | By David Perron
There’s a misconception that we were put together in a day, or a few days. But one of the things that was so clear to me when we first got on the ice was the amazing job our management did to build this team. Our lines don’t change too much, and that’s for good reason. They make sense. Our first line of Reilly Smith, William Karlsson and Marchy wasn’t just hacked together. It was crafted. Reilly and Marchy have a really strong connection from their time with the Panthers — they know how to work together. And William is one of those guys — like I mentioned before — who was given a chance to show his potential. He’s an incredibly talented player and the perfect piece to have between those two guys.

And when I started playing with Erik Haula and Neal, there was chemistry right away — because our staff built a team to work together. They knew how we liked to play, even before we got there, and put the pieces in place to give us something to work with. And it’s like that for all of our lines and defensive pairings.

That's a product of good scouting.

I expected Vegas to be competitive, but not for two or three seasons while they worked out the bugs and adjusted. Vegas is a good argument for why the talent pool won't get diluted if there are more teams added to the league. Quite the opposite; I think there's so much potential talent in the league that guys don't get a chance to show off what they're capable of because they're regulated to lesser roles due to log jam.

Last edited:

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
They're a dang good team, I really expect them to get even better over the next few years as guys like Glass, Theodore, Brannstrom and Suzuki start making noise. The entry draft worked.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad