NHL Entry Draft: What does your team NEED?

donut

Sep 5, 2012
Just wanted to start up a thread to keep track of what each team needs/wants. Might make mock drafts more realistic with the extra info.

1) What is your team's needs going into the draft?
2) What is their expected/projected draft position?
3) Realistically, who is your team (or who you are) eyeing for your 1st/2nd round pick?
4) Who do you think might fall to your pick?

-----------

For the Canucks...

1) Offensive #1C, D prospects
2) Probably in the 12th to 16th range
3) 1st Round: Konency, White, Roy, Merkley; 2nd Round: Pilon, Spencer, Juulsen
4) Kylington, Barzal

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
-Top 4 LHD
-Top 6 LW
-#1 Center
-Prospects (Any position)

5-8 range

3) Realistically, who is your team (or who you are) eyeing for your 1st/2nd round pick?

Kylington/Barzal/Werenski with our first
Pilon/DeBrusk/Blackwood with our seconds

Hanifin could depending on team needs of teams in top 5.

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
I'll do Columbus since Toronto is too easy...

-Top 2 D
-1RW to replace Nathan Horton

Between 3-8 with Bob out

1st-Kylington, Hanifin, Provorov, Werenski, Roy, or Rantanen is most likely
2nds-Boom or bust Defencemen like Lindgren or Two Way players who fit the team mold in Forsbaka-Karlsson, Gabrielle, Greenway if he falls

Hanifin could be a possibility if at 4-5

Last edited:

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
:wings
Top 4 D (prefer RH), Top 6 C, Goalie

24-26

No particular order
First round - Roy, Chabot, Sprong
Second round - Vladar, Pilon,

I'm really hoping Provorov falls due to being Russian I would love to snag him. There was a poster in our section stating that the Wings were interested in trading up for the first time in forever to try and snag Kylington. I would be more than okay with both or trying to snag Larkin's buddy Werenski if we could trade up.

Last edited:

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
:sharks

High end talent at every position, but especially scoring forwards and offensive Dmen. Definitely a goalie in the mid-late rounds.

Looking at the standings, our realistic range is probably 9-15, and I would guess 12.

If it's 9th overall, I'm looking at Barzal, Rantanen, Zacha, Werenski with the 1st. If it's closer to 15th, I like Merkley, Connor, Konecny, Kylington, J. Roy. I like Anthony Beauvillier, Roope Hintz, Mitchel Vande Sompel, Sebastian Aho, Denis Malgin, Jesper Lindgren, Joel Eriksson Ek, Christian Fischer, Noah Juulsen with our 2nd.

I'm hoping against hope that we land one of Barzal or Rantanen, either would be exactly what the doctor ordered.

Last edited:

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Just wanted to start up a thread to keep track of what each team needs/wants. Might make mock drafts more realistic with the extra info.

We really need a blue chip defenseman prospect. The last legit one we had was Dion Phaneuf.Another possible pick I'd like is a high end forward with potential elite scoring would help (more of a sniper than a playmaker).

12-20, still unsure how we'll fare if we make the playoffs. If we don't make the playoffs, it won't be by much.

I think our team will be looking at a defenseman in this draft, so in our range, Jeremy Roy, Carlo, Meloche, etc. Brad Treliving has a history with picking good defenseman with Maloney with the Coyotes. For forwards, probably Sprong, Merkley, Meier, Rantanen.

With the emergence of Werenski and Provorov, I hope Kylington makes a drop off to us if possible. If not, I will honestly be fine with whoever we pick this year, this draft is pretty deep with talent in the first round.

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
I'll do Buffalo.

-1C, Potential top-six wingers, More depth on D

5 picks in the top 60 - #1 or 2, #20-25, #25-30, #31-32 and #50-55

#1-2: McDavid or Eichel
#20-25: Svechnikov, Sprong, Bracco
#25-30: Zboril, Chabot, Boeser
#31-32: Beauvillier, Korostelev, Meloche
#50-55: Vande Sompel, Pilon, Dunn

Hoping one of Konecny, Svechnikov or Connor can fall into early 20's.

donut

Sep 5, 2012
:nucks :flames :cbj :sharks :wings :sens :sabres

Feel free to add on to already posted teams/post about some other teams what have yet to be mentioned.

TCascagnette

Jun 19, 2014
1.)Philly
Needs: #2-3 Center
LW's

2.) 1st round: Could be anywhere from 5-18 ish (18 would be best case scenario) depending on how the rest of the season goes. Probably between 6-12 with Mason out for a while, he's been our backbone all year.

3.)
-Mathew Barzal
-Mikko Rantanen (close enough on the spelling? Haha)
-Yevgeni Svechnikov
- Nick Merkley

4.) Rantanen

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
:avs

-Top pairing left handed two way D with offensive upside
-Power forward with size, speed, grit and can score
-more prospects in general especially forwards. Size, two way ability and scoring specifically.

The fanbase fluctuates between 5 and 15 on a daily basis but 8-10 is probably more realistic.

1st-Crouse (he fits what the Avs are looking for EXACTLY and I do not think the Avs pass on him with anything but a top 3 pick, fanbase doesn't exactly feel as strongly as I do but if they go forward he's easily the best fit). Provorov, Werenski.
2nd-DeBrusk, Meloche, Harkins
*Note Avs have leaned heavily CHL in previous drafts and with higher picks tend to take forwards. I believe they will take forward/D 1/2 or vice versa.

Crouse maybe. Provorov, Barzal, Werenski.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Ottawa needs

-Number 1 center
-Top pairing defensively solid dman
-Top line LW
-Goalie prospects
-high end d prospects.

Finish
5-10

draft
Klington, provorov(hopefully), Strome, Barzal, Werenski, maybe Marner(doubt it), Zacha, lots of mock drafts have sens drafting Kylington but he seems like a guy i wouldnt ideally want paired with karlsson.
Murray doesnt draft russians typically, seems to carry reservations about small players/centers but has drafted quite a few in the later rounds. NO RWing.

Fall

Hanifin

Last edited:

Dirk Diggler

Jan 24, 2013
Alberta
Oilers drafting in the 1-4 and probably the 20-26 range (Pens pick), McDavid, Eichel, Strome and Hannifin with their 1st, Thomas Chabot or Jeremy Roy with the Pens pick, Jake Debrusk, Mackenzie Blackwood with their 2nd. Rasmus Anderson if they get a late 2nd

Charizard

Tank Nation
Oct 6, 2011
Ontario
:leafs

NzXKwg2.jpg

:help::cry:

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario

Needs: 1C, Top Pairing Dman, Top six wingers with Size.
Expected Draft Position: 4-8
Players who should be near our position: Strome, Marner, Werenski, Barzal, Kylington, Zacha, Provorov, Hanifin (If he drops).

I'm really hoping for Hanifin to drop to us, and I think he might if you have people like New Jersey and Arizone drafting in the top 4, who might be more tempted to go after high end offensive forwards. I can see the Leafs finishing bottom 5 to ensure we get one of StroMarnerfin.

Brigid1011*

1.)Philly
Needs: #2-3 Center
LW's

2.) 1st round: Could be anywhere from 5-18 ish (18 would be best case scenario) depending on how the rest of the season goes. Probably between 6-12 with Mason out for a while, he's been our backbone all year.

3.)
-Mathew Barzal
-Mikko Rantanen (close enough on the spelling? Haha)
-Yevgeni Svechnikov
- Nick Merkley

4.) Rantanen

Philly doesn't need centers. We have Giroux Coturier and Laughton with Schenn another centre playing left wing. Agree we need LW prospects. I'd like another defenseman in the mix with our first. Kylington would be interesting with Morin in a few years. Then Sanhiem could anchor another pairing with say Haag or Ghost.

donut

Sep 5, 2012
Philly doesn't need centers. We have Giroux Coturier and Laughton with Schenn another centre playing left wing. Agree we need LW prospects. I'd like another defenseman in the mix with our first. Kylington would be interesting with Morin in a few years. Then Sanhiem could anchor another pairing with say Haag or Ghost.

Agree with the first part. IMO the Flyers should be the last team in the league looking to draft another centre :laugh: The second part however, I really don't see PHI going after a defender in the 1st round. There biggest need is on the wings especially LW. In the pipes they already have Morin, Sanheim, Gotisbehere and Haggs for D specs.

donut

Sep 5, 2012

Needs: 1C, Top Pairing Dman, Top six wingers with Size.
Expected Draft Position: 4-8
Players who should be near our position: Strome, Marner, Werenski, Barzal, Kylington, Zacha, Provorov, Hanifin (If he drops).

I'm really hoping for Hanifin to drop to us, and I think he might if you have people like New Jersey and Arizone drafting in the top 4, who might be more tempted to go after high end offensive forwards. I can see the Leafs finishing bottom 5 to ensure we get one of StroMarnerfin.

Highly doubt this scenario will happen but if the Leafs had the choice between Hanifin, Marner or Strome, would they go for the defender or take the much needed centre.

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
Highly doubt this scenario will happen but if the Leafs had the choice between Hanifin, Marner or Strome, would they go for the defender or take the much needed centre.

I'd say Hanifin. They're entering the beginning of a rebuild and he's compared to Ekblad. I'd say take the franchise D to pair with Rielly and take the centre next year (I.e Matthews)

Brigid1011*

Agree with the first part. IMO the Flyers should be the last team in the league looking to draft another centre :laugh: The second part however, I really don't see PHI going after a defender in the 1st round. There biggest need is on the wings especially LW. In the pipes they already have Morin, Sanheim, Gotisbehere and Haggs for D specs.

Speaking of those 4

Sanhiem in my opinion is our best prospect on defense
Morin next

These 2 I think are locks

Haag I'm not so sure on. He needs to try harder. He has talent it's there.

Ghost is the biggest question mark I think due to his size
Is he an nhl player? I think so but a third paring and power play guy

Still think we need one more high end pick to add to in reality Sanhiem and Morin if we're talking top 4 defenders.

donut

Sep 5, 2012
I'd say Hanifin. They're entering the beginning of a rebuild and he's compared to Ekblad. I'd say take the franchise D to pair with Rielly and take the centre next year (I.e Matthews)

That is if the Leafs do bad enough to get Matthews. Unless there is a major shake-up I doubt the Leafs will get a top 5 pick in next years draft.

Speaking of those 4

Sanhiem in my opinion is our best prospect on defense
Morin next

These 2 I think are locks

Haag I'm not so sure on. He needs to try harder. He has talent it's there.

Ghost is the biggest question mark I think due to his size
Is he an nhl player? I think so but a third paring and power play guy

Still think we need one more high end pick to add to in reality Sanhiem and Morin if we're talking top 4 defenders.

Solid argument but I would say they NEED that help on the wing more than another D prospect. They really don't have any promising wingers coming up soon. If they can get a Crouse or Zacha with their pick that seems to be a perfect fit.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB

1) What is your team's needs going into the draft? Top 4 RHD, Top 6C
2) What is their expected/projected draft position? Approximately 25th
3) Realistically, who is your team (or who you are) eyeing for your 1st/2nd round pick? D Brandon Carlo, C Anthony Beauvillier, D Jakub Zboril,
4) Who do you think might fall to your pick? C Jansen Harkins, D Jérémy Roy

:habs

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
That is if the Leafs do bad enough to get Matthews. Unless there is a major shake-up I doubt the Leafs will get a top 5 pick in next years draft.

Shanahan and co. were given the go ahead by MLSE to sell basically everyone, "torch the ground" or something rather. That's a pretty big hint to next year and the year afters outcome.

donut

Sep 5, 2012
Shanahan and co. were given the go ahead by MLSE to sell basically everyone, "torch the ground" or something rather. That's a pretty big hint to next year and the year afters outcome.

Selling everything does not guarentee you a bottom spot. Just feel if they base a pick off of an assumption that they'll get Matthews, there is a VERY high chance it'll backfire.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario

I would grab Hanifin because he is the BPA and he also fills a need (Elite talent on D). Remember that the Leafs are going to be torching it to the ground apparently so if that's the case they can afford to grab another good young Dman then go guns a blazing for Matthews next year. They should definitely be bad enough to be contenders for him, and I fully expect Buffalo and Edmonton to leave the bottom 5 next year. However, they might grab Strome because it will be a lot harder to find elite centre prospects in 2016, as only Matthews is on equal footing with the likes of Barzal and Strome imo. If this happens then they most likely target Chychrun next year.

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
Selling everything does not guarentee you a bottom spot. Just feel if they base a pick off of an assumption that they'll get Matthews, there is a VERY high chance it'll backfire.

To be perfectly honest, they should just go BPA. They need to focus on the 6 rounds that follow rather than decide between Hanifin/Strome/Marner. The good teams have been able to find Top 2 Defencemen in the 2nd and #1 Centres in the 6th, that's what they need to do. With Hunter now on board, they have a guy who can judge the talent of younger players and project where they'll be.

Also, a Leafs team without Kessel, Phaneuf, Bozak, Lupul, Franson, and Gardiner is most likely going to be a horrible team for about 3-5 years; aside from what the fan base thinks about them being the reason they suck.

Lastly, if they miss out on McDavid and take Hanifin, that shouldn't stop them from taking Chychrun or Day in 2016 if Matthews is gone. I hate when teams decide that they have too much elite D prospects and then take a lesser player, or vice versa. First round = BPA, always. There are other players like Benson and that Finnish kid (Puljujarvi) and they'll be players similar to Marner and Strome who step up during their draft season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad