What does your ideal 2015-2016 Buffalo Sabres roster look like?

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
Dave Davis ‏@DaveDavisHockey 58s

For those of you in Buffalo thinking about Kane, McKenzie suggested that he and Toews will likely be looking for around $12M per year each.

I threw up in my mouth a little. That's an immensely ridiculous number.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
If Kane became available Buffalo would give Kane a 2 yr MAX contract (20% of cap) then sign him to a 5 yr extension for around $9M.

why Kane would sign w/Buffalo......

He works at an arena that has a statue outside the main door the fans pass when they enter (some guy by name of Jordan). He would never get that in chicago.

He would in Buffalo if he came and led buffalo to a cup.

He has won the cup in Chicago.....He may want a new challenge.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Kind of hilarious that our best performing prospect in the entire organization and a guy doing it in the AHL made 1 list. And Brian Flynn made like 2. Same Flynn who didn't make most peoples opening day rosters even though he was our most consistent forward the 2nd half of last year. Further illustrating a point I made previously about people around here placing more value players we personally drafted.

And then when I see our 2015-2016 rosters 2nd, 3rd and 4th lines filled with guys we drafted just last year it re-enforces it even more.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Kind of hilarious that our best performing prospect in the entire organization and a guy doing it in the AHL made 1 list. And Brian Flynn made like 2. Same Flynn who didn't make most peoples opening day rosters even though he was our most consistent forward the 2nd half of last year. Further illustrating a point I made previously about people around here placing more value players we personally drafted.

And then when I see our 2015-2016 rosters 2nd, 3rd and 4th lines filled with guys we drafted just last year it re-enforces it even more.

why would anyone's "ideal" roster contain Flynn?
I'm being serious?

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
why would anyone's "ideal" roster contain Flynn?
I'm being serious?
Are you or aren't you being serious? Do you question mark?

Flynn in his 3rd year will be a hell of a lot more effective than Baptiste or Bailey.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY

Flynn in his 3rd year will be a hell of a lot more effective than Baptiste or Bailey.

Flynn wasn't on my "ideal" roster. Only RW I can imagine being worthy is Armia, and he has a lot to prove obviously. I do think Flynn could be a good 4th liner though on a Cup contender. Especially with the seeming trend away from big fighter types.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
So a reason Kane would want to come to Buffalo is so he can get his own statue near the French Connection after he retires, and he's sick of seeing that "Jordan guy" statue every day in Chicago knowing he'll never get his own statue.

:biglaugh:

If that was remotely true, my reaction would be ... WOW, what a massive and sick ego. And I would proceed to not want him in Buffalo even more than I do now.

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
Hohoho Kane u want to come to Buffalo?? hohoho i will carr y u here on my back friend

Lmao hahaha this is gold.

Yeah the cap is going up so we will starting seeing elite players get like $11-$14M contracts. I would give Kane every penny but he and Toews ain't going anywhere sadly.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

Lol question mark

Anyway, "ideally" the more talented guys surpass Flynn

DrStrangelife

Dec 14, 2011
Rīga
Yeah, no. Especially someone with the attitude Kane seems to exhibit with regards to overall nonchalance.

What does this have to do with what I said?

I did not say that seeking a new challange is a non-factor. I simply believe that if Kane comes to Buffalo it will be for another reason primarily.

Last edited:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Dave Davis ‏@DaveDavisHockey 58s

For those of you in Buffalo thinking about Kane, McKenzie suggested that he and Toews will likely be looking for around $12M per year each.

Not surprising. I've said it before, folks are going to be very surprised at the AAV of contracts going forward with the new contract rules. Teams will no longer be able to heavily front load long term deals to reduce cap hits. Double digit cap hits will be the norm shortly for the top players.

Bad timing for Syd and Malkin.

Why is that?

Crosby is in the first year of a 12 year extension with a total value of 104.4mil with a AAV of 8.7mil. The rumored 12mil per for Toews/Kane is roughly Crosby's deal condensed into 8 years. That is the new contract max for teams signing their own players. The total value of a 8 year deal with a AAV of 12mil is 96mil. Crosby's deal with a total value of 104.4mil over 8 years would have a AAV of 13.05mil.

Malkin signed an 8 year extension under the new rules and that kicks in next year with a AAV of 9.5mil (76mil total). It wasn't impacted by the agreed upon lower cap for this season. That's what the Pens felt his value was and Malkin obviously felt it was fair value or he wouldn't have signed. He could have easily held out for more. If you want to argue he would have gotten more if he signed his extension 3 years later than he did. Well that would be stating the obvious and has little to do with the cap or CBA. That's just the normal inflation of a superstars salary.

Last edited:

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Why is that?

Crosby is in the first year of a 12 year extension with a total value of 104.4mil with a AAV of 8.7mil. The rumored 12mil per for Toews/Kane is roughly Crosby's deal condensed into 8 years. That is the new contract max for teams signing their own players. The total value of a 8 year deal with a AAV of 12mil is 96mil. Crosby's deal with a total value of 104.4mil over 8 years would have a AAV of 13.05mil.

Malkin signed an 8 year extension under the new rules and that kicks in next year with a AAV of 9.5mil (76mil total). It wasn't impacted by the agreed upon lower cap for this season. That's what the Pens felt his value was and Malkin obviously felt it was fair value or he wouldn't have signed. He could have easily held out for more. If you want to argue he would have gotten more if he signed his extension 3 years later than he did. Well that would be stating the obvious and has little to do with the cap or CBA. That's just the normal inflation of a superstars salary.

Not sure why you would compare the contracts that way unless you're saying that if Crosby's deal were for only 8 years, his next deal covering the extra 4 years wouldn't bring in more than $8.7m per year.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I'm not sure what your confusion is.

Well, it's pretty simple. If guys like Toews and Kane indeed end up getting $12m, Crosby's getting paid substantially less. Seems you're bending logic to present otherwise. Making equivalent money over a 50% longer term doesn't change that he's being paid less. It might make the matter of security in the case of career derailment about equal, though.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Rob

Let me lay it out this way.

Crosby deal is essentially a 9 year deal for 95.4mil. He is making in actually salary 12mil, 12mil, 12mil, 10.9mil, 10.9mil, 10mil, 9mil, 9.6mil and 9mil over those 9 years that would average out to 10.6mil. So he essentially got the contract Toews and Kane will be looking for in 2 years with 3 years @ 3mil per added to the end to reduce his cap hit.

I mean if posters are going to argue Crosby would have gotten more in 3 years, well no ****.

Last edited:

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Rob

Let me lay it out this way.

Crosby deal is essentially a 9 year deal for 95.4mil. He is making in actually salary 12mil, 12mil, 12mil, 10.9mil, 10.9mil, 10mil, 9mil, 9.6mil and 9mil over those 9 years that would average out to 10.6mil. So he essentially got the contract Toews and Kane will be looking for in 2 years with 3 years @ 3mil per added to the end to reduce his cap hit.

I mean if posters are going to argue Crosby would have gotten more in 3 years, well not ****.

It's only essentially that if you think Crosby will retire at 34. Do you think that's going to happen, because I sure don't. His contract takes him to something like 37. It seems reasonable that he'd play those years out, so you can't just subtract them from the contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad