what does SUOMI mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

broman

Mar 9, 2003
HEL's antechamber
The origin of the word is in dispute, but some say it comes from Suo+maa, or Marshland. The word Finn is of Old Norse origin, and again some have suggested a connection to "fen", i.e. marsh or bog.

The Latin name for what is part of modern day Finland was Fennica. In 98 AD, Roman historian and traveller Tacitus mentions in his work Germania a people called the Fenni, living somewhere in the northeastern Baltic region "in unparallelled squalor and poverty". That's us then. ;)

Note also that the native Lapp people of northern Scandinavia call themselves Sami, which may or may not be related. Anyways, they are a different tribe altogether.

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
broman said:
The origin of the word is in dispute, but some say it comes from Suo+maa, or Marshland. The word Finn is of Old Norse origin, and again some have suggested a connection to "fen", i.e. marsh or bog.

The Latin name for what is part of modern day Finland was Fennica. In 98 AD, Roman historian and traveller Tacitus mentions in his work Germania a people called the Fenni, living somewhere in the northeastern Baltic region "in unparallelled squalor and poverty". That's us then. ;)

Note also that the native Lapp people of northern Scandinavia call themselves Sami, which may or may not be related. Anyways, they are a different tribe altogether.

Wow, we're going to learn something on this forum! :bow:

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
As part sápmi I've always heard that Suomi is the word Sápmi spoken with southwestern Sápmi dialect.

Sápmi is pronounced like Saam-eeh and no one knows why the diftong for uo in finnish has a slight sound of an a, this is rumoured to come from the sápmi language, and that Suomi is really the same word in origin as Sápmi.

HF2002

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
mattihp said:
Well... At least it's better than Sweden :lol

There's a joke (I'm not sure where it came from since english is not the native language in either country) but it goes like this: that guy is all swedish and no finnish.

Anyone know where that came from?

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
HF2002 said:
There's a joke (I'm not sure where it came from since english is not the native language in either country) but it goes like this: that guy is all swedish and no finnish.

Anyone know where that came from?

when somebody misses an easy scoring chance (in any sport, really), you say:

"guy must be swedish...cause he's sure got no finnish"

we had a guy on our lacrosse team we called Big Swede because he could miss open nets like nobody's business. ironically, he was actually of finnish descent...

e-e

Mar 15, 2003
Bratislava
broman said:

:bow: ..... i like it...thanks a lot...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad