What does our OT record mean? Is the team better or worse than our place in the standings?

The Habs are a.....

• Total voters

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Been thinking about this, despite winning in the SO last night we still have 9 SO/OT losses this year.

1-9 record in OT, picking up 9 points in games we ultimately lost.

From a pure W/L standpoint, Montreal has 14 wins and 17 losses, which is actually pretty awful.

However, one could argue that the Habs have just been getting unlucky in OT/SO and that if they had just won 50% of the OT contests they would be 1 point out of 1st place in the division. Also 3v3 and SO play don't matter in the playoffs.

It means we're not good at SO's and 3 on 3.

No more, no less.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Montreal had no elite players. They only have bunch of good players on every lines. Im not a fans who seeing the grass greener elsewhere. Im just realistic. Every fan in the entire league knows that montreal had no legit offensive superstar . In OT, thats basically on skill . So winnipeg has shceiffle,dubois, connor. Toronto : matthews, marner, tavares, vancouver : petterson, horvat, miller. Calgary : gaudreau, tkachuk, monahan. Edmonton : mcdavid, draisaitl. So every team in north, except ottawa, has a better offensive punch than Montreal. Thats why we suck on OT

Montreal has had the same elite talent issue going back for several years, but they never had anywhere near as bad a record in OT as they do right now, and I have to wonder if any other team in the league has ever lost 9 straight OT games in this system before.

I think a team with non elite talent going 0-9 in OT would be just as novel as a stacked team going 9-0, so I think it's too simplistic to chalk this up to talent.

The way I see it, there has been a snowball effect this year in OT, and it's at the point recently where the habs look terrified of making a mistake.

You can just see it with the way they approach the 3 on 3 sessions now. They hold on to the puck, but they don't have the will to take a chance, and it gotten worse as the losses have racked up.

As I mentioned earlier, maybe winning that shootout last game will loosen them up a little bit, and they can start actually playing again in OT.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Better than our record suggests because 3-on-3 OT and the SO are gimmicks.

If we were 6-4 in OT we'd be 1st in the division and talking about whether Bergevin should go all in at the deadline or not

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

If we were 6-4 in OT we'd be 1st in the division and talking about whether Bergevin should go all in at the deadline or not

Our record last year in the shootout and OT with Kovalchuk was 6-1. He scored in 5 of those 6 wins, whether OT or the SO. If only we'd brought him back instead of signing Frolik...

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick

I voted mediocre team but we are probably better then our record suggests.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad