What does Kucherov need to do to surpass Ovechkin and become the greatest Russian player to ever play in the NHL?

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I think that kucherov is the better, more impactful player.

Ovechkin had to bear all the pressure of being a generationally touted 1st overall pick and bring a dead franchise back to life. Those early capital teams he played on were barren wastelands. At his peak was a physical freak who could will the puck into the net by himself.

Kucherov is an all-timer but a cushy situation in Tampa compared to Ovechkin, no expectations and a lot more talent around him for his whole career.

At their bests, Ovechkin was simply greater. But depending on how Kucherov ages, he could really make their careers a legitimate debate.

ello

Jun 12, 2018
Consistency, longevity and the status and burden of being a first overall pick.

With that said personally I’d take peak Kucherov for a single playoff run

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Ovechkin had to bear all the pressure of being a generationally touted 1st overall pick and bring a dead franchise back to life. Those early capital teams he played on were barren wastelands. At his peak was a physical freak who could will the puck into the net by himself.

Kucherov is an all-timer but a cushy situation in Tampa compared to Ovechkin, no expectations and a lot more talent around him for his whole career.

At their bests, Ovechkin was simply greater. But depending on how Kucherov ages, he could really make their careers a legitimate debate.
Maybe it's just recency bias with kucherov but the 128 point, 144 point, 100 assist seasons are damn near mcdavid level peak for me.

Prime ovy vs this version of kucherov, it's not an easy decision anyway

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Kucherov has posted a peak as strong as any put up by all but a handful of players in league history.

Lots of stars post tremendous stretches from age 20 to 30, however. The answer is he needs to sustain that kind of excellence during the age 30-40 phase of his career. That's extremely difficult to do. Decline comes for everyone but the greats see less of a dropoff than most players.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
He won't, but what he needs to do is add to his trophy cabinet to make it a debate.

If he can win ~10 more awards consisting of some combination of the Conn Smythe, Hart, Art Ross, and Rocket... than you could at least have a discussion.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Both are top-two players of their respective generations. Ovechkin hit his stride earlier upon entering the league and has had incredible luck with injuries, allowing him to put up goal-scoring numbers that few in the history of the game even approached. But Kucherov has done more to elevate his teammates and has already cemented himself as one of the greatest postseason players of all time. He’ll never have the fame that Ovi has but if I’m building a team I’m picking Kuch every time.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Kucherov waited too long to become elite unfortunately. Ovechkin got there a lot earlier so he's got the longevity plus for those who value goals more, the peak.
That was my initial thought. Even that 4th season where he was 40-45-85 was pretty good, but by age 23 Kucherov was a total 108-126-234 in 285 games. By comparison, Ovechkin by 23 already had 219 goals and 420 points in 324 games with a 65-goal season and two 50+ goal seasons, 2 Harts and a Ross. [And then he'd tack on another 50-goal season and a Hart runner-up the following year.] And then Ovechkin kind of kept that up for ... another 12 seasons, to get within shouting distance of Gretzky's 894.

What really probably does Kucherov in though is the sheer amount of hardware Ovechkin has. 3 Harts, 3 Lindsays Pearsons, 9 Rockets? 8 1st-Team NHL All-Star nods? And then potentially taking out Gretzky's 894 mark and going over 1600 points? That's a lot to overcome, and a lot of assists and edging out Ovechkin on points probably doesn't do the trick and neither would a 2nd or even a 3rd Hart.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
That was my initial thought. Even that 4th season where he was 40-45-85 was pretty good, but by age 23 Kucherov was a total 108-126-234 in 285 games. By comparison, Ovechkin by 23 already had 219 goals and 420 points in 324 games with a 65-goal season and two 50+ goal seasons, 2 Harts and a Ross. [And then he'd tack on another 50-goal season and a Hart runner-up the following year.] And then Ovechkin kind of kept that up for ... another 12 seasons, to get within shouting distance of Gretzky's 894.

What really probably does Kucherov in though is the sheer amount of hardware Ovechkin has. 3 Harts, 3 Lindsays Pearsons, 9 Rockets? 8 1st-Team NHL All-Star nods? And then potentially taking out Gretzky's 894 mark and going over 1600 points? That's a lot to overcome, and a lot of assists and edging out Ovechkin on points probably doesn't do the trick and neither would a 2nd or even a 3rd Hart.
Don't forget also that Ovie lost like a season and a half to work stoppages, I think before Kucherov entered the league. Ovie's amazing durability has allowed him to reach these levels despite losing those games/years, but who knows what else he'd have achieved with another 120 games in his prime years?

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Sweeping the awards will be tough with McDavid, Mackinnon, and Matthews in the league, but Kucherov is perfectly capable of competing for the Rocket if he decided to shoot the puck more instead of passing.

Reactions: Tofveve

stephenball

Jan 7, 2018
Kucherov is one of the very best players of the last decade, he’s incredible. This is a pretty tall mountain you’re asking him to climb though. They have the same number of 100 point seasons (to be fair Kucherov is doing them now and Ovechkin did them when he was young).

Goal scoring means a lot, and while Kucherov is an elite goal scorer as well, Ovechkin has nine 50-goal seasons. To put that in perspective that’s two more than Draisaitl/Matthews/Stamkos combined. There’s being consistent, there’s being dominant, and there’s being both. Kucherov has been amazing and he is going to continue to be, I see him aging well in this league. It’s just a tough road to try to catch Ovechkin.

I think how I’d put it is that Kucherov should go down as an all time great player, something most players couldn’t dream of. But Ovechkin will go down as a legend.

Reactions: HolyHagelin

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
It will be very tough because he got a late start on winning awards, and he already turns 31 in June. I think he'd likely need a Jagr like 5 Art Rosses.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Norwegianoiler

Nov 17, 2014
Kucherov. It's a close call, but though we'll never know how Ovechkin would have done in the same situation, Kucherov's disinterested showing in the All-Star Game decides it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad