What does Dallas do with the 3rd overall pick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiefWiggum

Dec 17, 2016
Newfoundland
Option A: Dallas drafts Cale Makar.

Pros: Makar can turn into a franchise cornerstone. Some say his comparable is Erik Karlsson.

Cons: Makar is a high ceiling/high bust prospect.
Dallas is in win now mode with the age of their core and using the pick on a player who may not be ready for a couple years will not help their cause

Option B: Draft Miro Heiskanen.

Pros: solid prospect

Cons: May take a while to be NHL ready
Will not help the team win now

Option C: Trade pick

Pros: you can get a player that will help you win now (presumably a defenseman in the Star's case)

Cons: what if one of these players (Makar especially) turns into a star? Then your franchise will forever be haunted with what ifs like the Leafs and Neidermayer, Boston and Seguin and the Habs and McDonaugh.

What option would you choose? I would choose C because with the addition on a bonafide starter in Ben Bishop, the Stars are in position to make a lot of noise in the West with some help on the back end

Crocoduck

Mar 3, 2013
Peterborough, Ont.
Unless they can get a solid LD to pair with Klingberg, I'd make the pick. I'd go with Miro, due to the fact the Stars have Klingberg and Honka. Makar has great potential, but he is simply more of the same thing the Stars already have.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Stars should draft Heiskanen (or whoever they deem to be the 3rd best player if not him).

I think the value of 2017 picks has been deflated. Plus there's a drop off from Patrick and Hirschier so I think the value will not be great unless used as a secondary piece in a package.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
As a Dallas fan i would rather use the pic and draft Heiskanen or Makar than give it up for the like of Methot that some people have determined he is worth. How anyone thinks he is worth it is beyond me. The only way i trade it is if we package it up and get a proven D like Brodin.

ChiefWiggum

Dec 17, 2016
Newfoundland
As a Dallas fan i would rather use the pic and draft Heiskanen or Makar than give it up for the like of Methot that some people have determined he is worth. How anyone thinks he is worth it is beyond me. The only way i trade it is if we package it up and get a proven D like Brodin.

It would definitely have to be for a top quality defenseman. Methot definitely would not be enough.

Plus, any other team in this situation (except Philly maybe due to their blueline prospect depth) should draft Makar due to his ceiling but Dallas just is not a fit because he is a one dimensional offensive defenseman which does not help Dallas from keeping the puck out of their net which is their main concern. They would probably just be getting another Klingberg style defenseman which is the last thing they need

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
They keep #3 unless Nill gets his balls blown off by a no-brainer deal.

I think it's Miro all day unless one of Patrick or Hirschier falls to 3.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
I'd go with Heiskanen. Trading pick for a solid D-man is also an option but as has been said, there is not much value in trading a third pick in this draft. Or, at least, as impactful as Stars would want. So, as things stand now, drafting Heiskanen seems to be the best option for me.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
Go Heiskanen without thinking twice about it.

Makar is more likely to be the next MA Bergeron than he is to ever being the next Erik Karlsson. I don't see the Karlsson ceiling at all. If Makar pans out, I think he's Tyson Barrie. That's still good, but does Dallas need a Tyson Barrie?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
You paint Makar as potential Karlsson and then go say Miro is a solid prospect :laugh: :laugh:

It sounds like the offers are picks for that 3rd so they'll keep it.

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
With how limited our options are at LD (if we don't bring in someone else)and considering that Heiskanen played against men last season, there's a chance he could make the NHL roster this season if he plays well in Traverse City & training camp/preseason.

Go with Heiskanen all day.

Montgomery81

Aug 6, 2015
Oklahoma City
If no deal comes along for an established, solid defensive defenseman, I'd say take Miro at the spot and call it a day. I overthink it because Nill is open to offers. My gut says to make the pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad