What do you want from the Jackets' next GM?

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
I understand that Jarmo and/or JD may not be fired today, tomorrow or as soon as some of us would like to see but if they can't turn this season around and meet the expectations the ownership had set for this year, it's believed there will be FO changes within the next few months.

If or when that happens, the Jackets would be heading into offseason with a new management / in midst of a search for new management. Whoever the new GM will be, they would have to find answers to a lot of questions related to the future of this club. They're not inheriting a powerhouse roster and an elite coaching staff instantly ready to compete for SC.

First, there are general and the most fundamental questions to be asked, such as:

What is the identity of the Blue Jackets?
What do the Jackets have to become? How do they have to play in order to win the SC?
How long does it take for them to become a winner? How do they have to select and develop their players so that they can grow into leaders of a champion?
What is the correct rebuild/retool plan?

Then there are particular issues concerning the current state of the team in 2024:

Is Pascal Vincent the right coach for CBJ in 2024/25, and possibly beyond that? How about the assistants and Cleveland's staff?

Which RFA/UFAs should they re-sign? What kind of deals should they make for the ones they want to keep?

Which players under contracts should be on the trade block or be bought out?

Which roster players and prospects are their future core?

What do you do about pro and amateur scouting crews? Fire them asap or keep them until contracts expire/they leave voluntarily or until you find good replacements?

What should they do at the draft? Gather more picks, trade picks for immediate help? What kind of players should they draft this year?

---------

So with that messy introduction my question to you is: How would you like to see these questions answered by the new GM in 2024?

Edit: Also, feel free to name GM candidates if you have any in mind. We could also have all general GM search discussion here in the future if mods are fine with that.

Last edited:

Michigan Magic

Nov 3, 2023
Hattiesburg
First thing you do is go in and fire anyone that has a say in how the team is managed. Blow it all up so nobody has to walk on eggshells. You hire competent people who understand hockey and knows what they are doing.
You find a real coach and allow him to build his own staff. Have them sit down with every player. Find out what each one hopes to accomplish and what their 5 year plan is on the ice. Do they want to win or are they happy just to get a check?
Find out what type of system the player needs to be the best version of them on the ice and create a Bruce Lee Jeet Kune Do style offense instead of forcing players to develop in a system that may not necessarily be the best system for their development.
No matter the name, the star power, or size of contract, hold each player accountable for his actions, on ice play, gym habits, and off-season workout. You're either All In or GTFO. There should be no in between.
We need warriors. Men!
No more lies! No more tit for tat media nonsense! Straight up hockey ninjas that take no shxt from anyone. When a opposing player comes up the ice he does it with one eye on the puck and one on the sharks encircling him.
Fxckin go to war like true legends and leave no doubt who you and your team are.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
A GM that has a head coach and the coach of Cleveland on the same page teaching the same systems (the last time we had that was Torts and Bednar). A GM that will build an identity of a heavy game with hard work, forechecking, super high compete level and team chemistry to go along with skill (yes MM, we need warriors!). A GM will acquire and keep players that fit the team's identity and style of play (what Jarmo didn't due for Torts). A GM that will be firm in negotiations with RFAs but not a dick. A GM that will not clear out veteran players to make space for younger players who "are ready to take a step" but never do. A GM that doesn't overvalue his own prospects. A GM that can speak to the public. A GM that won't take things public that should be kept in the room. A GM with an unquinchable competitive spirit who puts winning championships with integrity above ALL else. A GM that can built a strong scouting staff - not just in Europe or for the entry draft, but a good team of pro scouts as well. A GM who values and uses analytics but understands expected goals is not the same as goals. A GM that values the psychological aspect of the player more than his stats. A GM will actually builds from the back end out, instead of just talking about it. A GM who understands accountability is for him and his staff, not just for his players. And lastly, a GM who has empathy for the day-one fans of this franchise who have had very little success to cheer about.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Direction.
Hire a coach that fits the team you are building instead of asking players to mold to the coach's systems.
Dont neglect the importance of balance between skill/grit.
Dont consistently have a super young team trying to figure out how to win.
Dont make rush/panic moves.
Dont back RFAs that are your future into a corner and then overpay vets simply because they are vets

I dont expect results overnight but I do expect visible growth and improvement in pretty short order

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Direction.
Hire a coach that fits the team you are building instead of asking players to mold to the coach's systems.
Dont neglect the importance of balance between skill/grit.
Dont consistently have a super young team trying to figure out how to win.
Dont make rush/panic moves.
Dont back RFAs that are your future into a corner and then overpay vets simply because they are vets

I dont expect results overnight but I do expect visible growth and improvement in pretty short order
Well we kinda did but... yeah....

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
I want the CBJ to win the cup.

The shelves aren't empty but they are still in search of a team stucture. Speed up the rebuild.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I want the CBJ to win the cup.

The shelves aren't empty but they are still in search of a team stucture. Speed up the rebuild.
If anything the new guy should slow it down. Adding Gaudreau, Provorov & Severson hasn't accelerated the rebuild but has saddled the Jackets will two long term contracts that so far don't look like great choices. The new GM needs to assess what he has to work with and add veteran pieces when the time is right not go on a buying splurge to plug holes in a sinking ship.

Reactions: DJA and koteka

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
If anything the new guy should slow it down. Adding Gaudreau, Provorov & Severson hasn't accelerated the rebuild but has saddled the Jackets will two long term contracts that so far don't look like great choices. The new GM needs to assess what he has to work with and add veteran pieces when the time is right not go on a buying splurge to plug holes in a sinking ship.
Understand, I could have phrased that better. They need a GM that can construct a team not just put a bunch of young skill guys, questionable defenders and suspect goaltending together and think it's going to be a playoff team. The new GM won't have to be radical and blow the whole thing up but it does need a re-mix.

Michigan Magic

Nov 3, 2023
Hattiesburg
Competency, integrity, Access to said individual, answer questions from fans and give real answers (not politically charged rants trying to buy support). truth and honesty go a long way.

Michigan Magic

Nov 3, 2023
Hattiesburg
Somebody should start a petition outside NWA before and after games to remove the front office and coaching staff and start over. Present it to the CBJ organization.

Sdrawkcab321

Oct 12, 2014
Cleveland
For the love of god an outside hire please. I promise you the answer is not someone who’s already in the building. That hasn’t worked.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Free season tickets and limo service to and from my house for all games. A full limo bar would be a nice add on.

• Haha
Reactions: LJ7

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
A GM will actually builds from the back end out, instead of just talking about it.
I also prefer conservative type of thinking in roster construction. Figure out first how to keep puck out of your net before trying to fix other issues. Starting at goalie position...

Do we have a future 1G in the system? I think it's unlikely we do. Merzlikins seems to be average at best, Tarasov hasn't proved anything and is made of glass apparently, and all goalies in the minors aren't expected to become starters in the NHL. Ivanov is showing progress in KHL but for a short goalie I would expect his athleticism to look more impressive, like quicker post-to-post movements that I see in Saros. I would like to hear goalie experts' opinions of his technique and upside.

Some say you should just draft more goalies if you don't have enough depth or a likely future 1G in the system. I don't necessarily agree with that thinking. Goalies can be drafted if you think they have potential, but you can acquire good ones by other means as well. Their development is so hard to predict. IIRC, We got Bob by trading a late round pick to Philly. I think it's smarter to use draft picks mainly on forwards and defensemen.

Personally, the long-term outlook of Jackets defense is the most interesting puzzle to solve.

I agreed with many here that 8 years for Severson seemed too much. It was probably easier to comprehend and justify from Jarmo's personal point of view, under impression that they're pressured to succeed this year, but in a vacuum it seemed a completely unnecessary risk.

I like to think that there should be some kind of strict rule of thumb when it comes player contracts. Like, long-term contracts (>4 years) with reasonable AAVs should only be offered to younger players (U26) who has yet to hit their projected prime or peak. Long-term contracts with high AAV should only be offered to younger players who 1) has yet to hit their projected prime, and 2) have proved they're capable of becoming a future core player (=roughly 1G, 1D, 2D, 1C, 2C, 1W).

How does one prove they're capable? If you're a young goalie, then 1) be the starter for your team at least two years in a row with an above average sv% and 2) have at least one decent post-season performance. If you're a young player, then 1) be productive (centers and wingers should be top-4 scorers on their team, defensemen should be top-6 scorers on their team and top-40 in the league for defensemen) for at least one regular season and 2) be one of your best players in at least one playoff run where the team is actually competitive.

That is why I never was a fan of Severson signing. I'm wondering if that rule of thumb should be applied to all Jackets D. To give you an example, let's look at Jiricek.

6OA pick in 2022 with 1D upside, playing first year of his three year ELC. What does he have to do to earn a long-term 2nd contract with high AAV? Be a top-6 scorer on the team and league-wide be in top-40 in D scoring at least once and also be one of the leading players in one promising post-season. Then he's proved he can be a bonafide 1D/2D and worth of an expensive long-term deal.

I don't have strong opinions on coaches, defensive schemes or what kind of playing style they should exactly adopt in the future to get better defensively, but in general, the short-term focus should be on improving their zone defense.

Right now I don't like the idea of having Werenski and Provorov as long-term 1LD/2LD combo. I suspect they will be too expensive for their on-ice impact, so at some point we should get rid of at least one of them, maybe both. If they eventually decide to move both, then I'd like to see a veteran D on a relatively short deal to fill a mid-par role. Something similar to what Gudas is in Anaheim.

Next GM could start defense reconstruction by upgrading their defensive D prospect pool. It could be done by drafting or trading. Maybe grabbing Sam Dickinson or Adam Jiricek with the top pick next summer wouldn't be the worst idea. Call Anaheim, Chicago or Edmonton and ask how much does Hinds, Del Mastro or Wanner cost. Do something like that.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I also prefer conservative type of thinking in roster construction. Figure out first how to keep puck out of your net before trying to fix other issues. Starting at goalie position...

Do we have a future 1G in the system? I think it's unlikely we do. Merzlikins seems to be average at best, Tarasov hasn't proved anything and is made of glass apparently, and all goalies in the minors aren't expected to become starters in the NHL. Ivanov is showing progress in KHL but for a short goalie I would expect his athleticism to look more impressive, like quicker post-to-post movements that I see in Saros. I would like to hear goalie experts' opinions of his technique and upside.

Some say you should just draft more goalies if you don't have enough depth or a likely future 1G in the system. I don't necessarily agree with that thinking. Goalies can be drafted if you think they have potential, but you can acquire good ones by other means as well. Their development is so hard to predict. IIRC, We got Bob by trading a late round pick to Philly. I think it's smarter to use draft picks mainly on forwards and defensemen.

Personally, the long-term outlook of Jackets defense is the most interesting puzzle to solve.

I agreed with many here that 8 years for Severson seemed too much. It was probably easier to comprehend and justify from Jarmo's personal point of view, under impression that they're pressured to succeed this year, but in a vacuum it seemed a completely unnecessary risk.

I like to think that there should be some kind of strict rule of thumb when it comes player contracts. Like, long-term contracts (>4 years) with reasonable AAVs should only be offered to younger players (U26) who has yet to hit their projected prime or peak. Long-term contracts with high AAV should only be offered to younger players who 1) has yet to hit their projected prime, and 2) have proved they're capable of becoming a future core player (=roughly 1G, 1D, 2D, 1C, 2C, 1W).

How does one prove they're capable? If you're a young goalie, then 1) be the starter for your team at least two years in a row with an above average sv% and 2) have at least one decent post-season performance. If you're a young player, then 1) be productive (centers and wingers should be top-4 scorers on their team, defensemen should be top-6 scorers on their team and top-40 in the league for defensemen) for at least one regular season and 2) be one of your best players in at least one playoff run where the team is actually competitive.

That is why I never was a fan of Severson signing. I'm wondering if that rule of thumb should be applied to all Jackets D. To give you an example, let's look at Jiricek.

6OA pick in 2022 with 1D upside, playing first year of his three year ELC. What does he have to do to earn a long-term 2nd contract with high AAV? Be a top-6 scorer on the team and league-wide be in top-40 in D scoring at least once and also be one of the leading players in one promising post-season. Then he's proved he can be a bonafide 1D/2D and worth of an expensive long-term deal.

I don't have strong opinions on coaches, defensive schemes or what kind of playing style they should exactly adopt in the future to get better defensively, but in general, the short-term focus should be on improving their zone defense.

Right now I don't like the idea of having Werenski and Provorov as long-term 1LD/2LD combo. I suspect they will be too expensive for their on-ice impact, so at some point we should get rid of at least one of them, maybe both. If they eventually decide to move both, then I'd like to see a veteran D on a relatively short deal to fill a mid-par role. Something similar to what Gudas is in Anaheim.

Next GM could start defense reconstruction by upgrading their defensive D prospect pool. It could be done by drafting or trading. Maybe grabbing Sam Dickinson or Adam Jiricek with the top pick next summer wouldn't be the worst idea. Call Anaheim, Chicago or Edmonton and ask how much does Hinds, Del Mastro or Wanner cost. Do something like that.

Some counterpoints / agreements -

Goalies are generally so unpredictable that I don't think you ever get to a point where it is truly solved for good. There's maybe a half dozen starters in the league that can do that for you. So I don't think you start your team building in net, unless you're lucky enough to have one of the few top guys. If you've got average, which Elvis is giving us right now, that's fine for now. And if you need a new goalie, trade a few picks to get one. Bob was for a 2nd and 2 4ths, btw.

You'd think it would have been obvious enough that Severson isn't an 8 year deal caliber player, but I guess not. So a rule of thumb like you suggested should be followed.

While we're stuck with this attacking style defense, maybe we should play more of that style, and less turtling? That's one thought. The other is that I think we might improve on our current structure over time, they can't possibly this bad forever at doing clean breakouts? It's a new team and they might be a lot better once guys start filling roles more consistently (being in the right spot on the ice). I vacillate between those two thoughts, I'm not sure if these are the right horses for the system or if they'll be adequate with time.

Drafting playkilling D seems like a good idea in general, I don't know if our particular problems now early this year are what our problems will be in a few years when those D mature, but playkilling D are good to have.

Reactions: tunnelvision

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
i know everyone's saying that they should do the whole "hard work" identity thing but that's exactly what they're doing with the pazzy hire.

i'd actually lean toward a GM who has a vision more aligned with modern hockey. lean into the system that florida played a couple years ago. seattle is another really new-age team and has had success early with that.

doesn't mean to just get small skilled guys. but focusing on speed and having a healthy mix of young guys and veterans and playing a system to maximize them.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
i know everyone's saying that they should do the whole "hard work" identity thing but that's exactly what they're doing with the pazzy hire.

i'd actually lean toward a GM who has a vision more aligned with modern hockey. lean into the system that florida played a couple years ago. seattle is another really new-age team and has had success early with that.

doesn't mean to just get small skilled guys. but focusing on speed and having a healthy mix of young guys and veterans and playing a system to maximize them.
But Florida only had regular season success after turning to the pain in the ass hard working team. Just like Washington in the past.

Hard work beats talent when talent doesnt work hard

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
But Florida only had regular season success after turning to the pain in the ass hard working team. Just like Washington in the past.

Hard work beats talent when talent doesnt work hard
seattle had postseason success. vegas, in their first year, had postseason success. less talent but played a modern style.

modern doesn't mean soft, it means fast and detached from some of the flawed traditional hockey wisdom. embracing concepts like positionless hockey, the 'power kill' and playing wings on their off-handed side. deploying players in ways that maximize their strengths rather than trying to fit some traditional hockey ideal.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Seattle is playing like Carolina, it's a every-man-skate-hard system with a lot of dump and chase, soft skill guys really don't fit in that. It's the kind of system guys like Tex do well in. Some of our guys would be lost in it just as they are in Pazzy's grunt work style. I like where Vincent is going with it, I'm just saying Seattle isn't the example you're reaching for.

seattle had postseason success. vegas, in their first year, had postseason success. less talent but played a modern style.

modern doesn't mean soft, it means fast and detached from some of the flawed traditional hockey wisdom. embracing concepts like positionless hockey, the 'power kill' and playing wings on their off-handed side. deploying players in ways that maximize their strengths rather than trying to fit some traditional hockey ideal.

Again, early Vegas? They were playing more or less like the 2016-17 Jackets under Torts. A very heavy forecheck. Torts was all about D and F switching too, it's just a media construct where he is a dinosaur and whatever Vegas was doing was "modern".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad