What do you think will happen first? 90 point player, 30 goal center or Calder?

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
None of these have ever happened for the Wild, but we've been awfully close the past few years:

Marian Gaborik had a point per game(just barely over) back in 2007-2008. Since then going by season is:
62 this year by Parise,
60 by Pominville last season
38 (in 48) by Parise in 12-13 (which works out to 72 points)
53 by Heatley in 11-12
62 by Koivu in 10-11
71 by Koivu in 09-10
67 by Koivu in 08-09
64 by Rolston in 06-07
79 by Rolston in 05-06
51 by Daigle in 03-04 (lol)
65 by Gaborik in 02-03
69 by Brunette in 01-02
39 by Pellerin (lol again!) in the inaugural year.

Minnesota averages around 64 points per season. Throwing out Pellerin, we get up to 66. A good, respectable number. However, can they do better than that? Can a player step up and get 24 more points above average and get 90 points for the Wild?

With the decrease in goal scoring, this might be difficult, but who knows. Maybe the league will realize the decrease and do something to increase.

As for centers, the closest we've been is around 22 goals. I might be off on this, but here are the top goal scoring centers for the Wild since 00-01 (if you want to correct me feel free),
14 by Koivu in 14-15,
11 by Koivu in 13-14
11 goals by Koivu in 12-13
22 by Brodziak in 11-12
17 by Koivu in 10-11
22 by Koivu in 09-10
20 by Koivu in 08-09,
13 by Belanger in 07-08
20 by Koivu in 06-07
19 by Walz in 05-06
12 by Walz in 03-04
16 by Zholtok (did he play center?) in 02-03
19 by Zholtok in 01-02
18 by Walz in 00-01

It hasn't been too terribly long since a Wild player has been on pace to score 20+ goals as a center but to actually do it, it's been 4 years (and that was Brodziak of all players). This one might be a bit tougher to accomplish simply because of well, we just don't have the players and goal scoring is down.

The last one is a throw in but Minnesota has also been close to the Calder:

Gaborik and Brodin were up for nominations (I believe). With the way Minnesota develops defensemen, it's not too surprising. I don't think they will ever get a forward nominated (Tuch might be an outside shot) given how they develop forwards but this one sounds more plausible for the Wild.

What do you think?

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Brodin should have gotten more consideration for the Calder, just as Suter should have gotten more consideration for Norris, but both were shafted by Eastern Conference hockey writers who pay no attention to the West and had no reason at all to due to the shortened season with no inter-conference play. I do not see us having a potential Calder candidate for a long time because I do not think we will be picking top 10 any time soon.

I think a number of players could morph into the types you mentioned. If Coyle ever embraces the offensive potential he's shown, he could be a 30g scorer. Granlund could potentially be one as well. I could see Zucker at a long stretch hitting 90 points in his careers best year, and I could see Nino also hitting it in an off the charts year.

One thing that absolutely has to happen for any of them to hit those marks tho, is the powerplay needs to start clicking and generating points and goals. We had our highest scoring season in franchise history (or 2nd highest), and we did it with an absolute crap powerplay. Bump that powerplay up to anywhere from respectable to dominant and we shatter our franchise goal record and both units get a giant bonus to goals and points.

Ladde

Apr 28, 2012
Calder and 30 goal scoring center are about 50-50 with both being unlikely and then 90 points or more is way behind unless some serious changes happen in the NHL.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
30 goal center is probably most likely to happen out of the three, so I'd vote that.

In regards to the Calder, I'm pretty sure Bob McKenzie tweeted out that he voted a 1st place ballot for Brodin to win the Calder at the end of the 2013 season. Shame that Brodin would have probably at least been a finalist that year with the same stats on an Eastern Conference team or Chicago/LA.

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley
With the style of play we have, with the right cast we could have a 30 goal center sooner than later. At least sooner than the other two options, IMO. Tons of scrappy, clean up goals and tip-ins.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
I don't see any of our current centers putting up 30 goals anytime soon. I could see someone like Vanek or Parise having a terrific year and putting up 90 points.

The All Tomato

Yeo, Yeo, Yeeeoooo
Jul 7, 2012
Minnesota
First off I don't think that any of these happen in the near future, but if I had to choose one, it has to be the Calder Trophy winner.

I just don't see anyone on current roster that will be able to put up a 90 point season, especially how points have been getting harder to come by. Parise, who is probably our best point producer and led the team in points, would almost have had to put up another 30 points this season to reach that total. Is that impossible with our improving roster? Probably not, but I would mark it down as highly improbable.

I also don't see a 30 goal center in our near future. I think the centers that we have on our roster currently is what management is planning on running with for the next few years, unless someone becomes available that is a clear upgrade for a reasonable price. The problem with that is Granlund and Koivu are pass first players, and I just don't think that Coyle has the goal scorer's touch to get it done. Another big thing you have to factor in is Yeo's emphasis on two way play. You will not get playing time if you don't play a two way game. This will make it tough for a center on the wild to reach that 30 goal mark.

This leads me to believe that Calder would be the most likely option. although we don't have someone in our current prospect pool that is "dynamic", we do have time for them to develop before they make the jump to the NHL because of our depth. Tuch, Lucia, Graovac, and others can round out their games in AHL/College/Juniors, before making the jump.

Another reason that I think that it might be possible for us to win the Calder is because of our supporting cast. If one of our prospects could jump right into our top 6 when Vanek or Pominville eventually leave, that would put them in a great spot to put up points, which weighs heavily on voters opinions. If they put up 50-60 points with some combination of Parise/Granlund/Coyle/Koivu/Zucker/Niederreiter, they would definitely be in the discussion.

The final reason I think it is the most likely is because it only takes one rookie to have a great year, and if recent years are any indicator, it doesn't have to be a top 10 selection that does so. I do realize that it definitely helps to have a high profile prospect coming in, but several nominees as of late have been later picks or even undrafted. In the past couple years alone Ondrej Palat, Tyler Johnson, Johnny Gaudreau, Mark Stone, and Mike Hoffman have all been in discussions about winning the Calder Trophy.

I guess only time will tell.

Arturia Pendragon

Humble Optimist
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Holy Grail
I just don't see anyone on current roster that will be able to put up a 90 point season, especially how points have been getting harder to come by.
I guess only time will tell.

I just wanted to highlight this point, especially considering that this seasons highest point-getter (Jamie Benn) "only" reached 87. Not to mention he put up 13 points in his final 5 games (highly unsustainable) just to get close to 90.

Now whether this season is an anomaly in regards to total league-wide offence remains to be seen.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
How many pass-first centers have scored 30 goals or over last 2-3 years? Hell how many centers overall score like that?
2014-2015:
Stamkos
Tavares
Seguin
Pavelski
Monahan

2013-2014:
Pavelski
Seguin
Crosby
Johansen
Getzlaf
Begeron

leading scorer of the league has 87 points this season..

Don't see either of these happening.

So calder is the answer.

Last edited:

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I just wanted to highlight this point, especially considering that this seasons highest point-getter (Jamie Benn) "only" reached 87. Not to mention he put up 13 points in his final 5 games (highly unsustainable) just to get close to 90.

Now whether this season is an anomaly in regards to total league-wide offence remains to be seen.

Well, this is the first time since 1994-1995 where a player didn't reach 90 points to win the Art Ross. Is it a fluke or is this the pace? Who knows but in the past 10 years...

05-06: 14
06-07: 14
07-08: 8
08-09: 7
09-10: 7
10-11: 5
11-12: 3
12-13: 20 (on pace for 90, this one is tough because it's half a season)
13-14: 1
14-15: 0

So, the trend has been happening for a while now. 90 points might be almost impossible but the Wild have had a few guys get in the 70s-80s before. Could happen again if the league starts looking toward improving offense again.

Arturia Pendragon

Humble Optimist
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Holy Grail
How many pass-first centers have scored 30 goals or over last 2-3 years? Hell how many centers overall score like that?
2014-2015:
Stamkos
Tavares
Seguin
Pavelski
Monahan

Even with this short list of 30 goal centers, two of them aren't even in the PO's (granted, Seguin was injured so that played a role).

Arturia Pendragon

Humble Optimist
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Holy Grail
Well, this is the first time since 1994-1995 where a player didn't reach 90 points to win the Art Ross. Is it a fluke or is this the pace? Who knows but in the past 10 years...

05-06: 14
06-07: 14
07-08: 8
08-09: 7
09-10: 7
10-11: 5
11-12: 3
12-13: 20 (on pace for 90, this one is tough because it's half a season)
13-14: 1
14-15: 0

So, the trend has been happening for a while now. 90 points might be almost impossible but the Wild have had a few guys get in the 70s-80s before. Could happen again if the league starts looking toward improving offense again.

Well all that aside, I actually get your point. The number 90 is more figurative of just having an "elite" player. For all we know 80 points is the new 90.
Whatever the case may be, I don't think the Wild will have a player like THAT for quite some time.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Well all that aside, I actually get your point. The number 90 is more figurative of just having an "elite" player. For all we know 80 points is the new 90.
Whatever the case may be, I don't think the Wild will have a player like THAT for quite some time.

I think it's more feasible to have a 90 point player than a 30 goal scoring center. Rolston almost put up a point per game. Gaborik did as well, Koivu got 71 at the peak of his career. One of our prospects COULD do it. I just don't see any goal scoring coming from our centers unless we change our system dramatically.

Calder > 90 point > 30 goal scoring center

Billy Mays Here*

90 point season will likely never happen, nor even an 80 point season.
30 goal center will also likely never happen.
Calder is the only one I can maybe see happening.

Only way one of the first two happens is many years down the line if we're ever forced to do a full rebuild and get a top 3 pick in one or multiple years, maybe one of them can do one of the first two.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
I feel like a guy like Coyle could have a fluke year where he pots 30. He's still only what, 22? Plenty of time to grow as a player. He's not going to be a perennial 30 goal guy, but I could see him being a 20 goal guy. Then he has that fluke year, where he gets red hot for a month, and reaches the 30 plateau

I don't know how likely it is, but I wouldn't be shocked if it happens in the next 3-6 years.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
The way the NHL is going, a 90 point scorer seems like it has a 1% chance.

We have no one in the pipeline who I can see getting the Calder, Dumba had the best chance (other than Brodin), but since he's already disqualified based on a partial year this year, that's out.

So 30 goal center. Granlund most likely if he makes improvements and starts shooting more.

Randy BoBandy

Cheeseburger Party
May 9, 2011
Sunnyvale
No one in the league scored 90 this year. So NO, just no. Around PPG is about as good as it gets these days. And we don't have a player capable of that.

We don't have one potential 30 goal center in the organization currently. And the only way to get one is through the draft. Don't see it happening anytime soon.

I think we are more likely to get lucky and hit on a great young player. One of these years we will have a super rookie. So I'm voting Calder

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
30 goal center is easily the most likely scenario.. and 90pt player is easily the least likely scenario in today's NHL. 90pt player is likely the best player in the league.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
90 point season will likely never happen, nor even an 80 point season.
30 goal center will also likely never happen.
Calder is the only one I can maybe see happening.

Only way one of the first two happens is many years down the line if we're ever forced to do a full rebuild and get a top 3 pick in one or multiple years, maybe one of them can do one of the first two.
Gaborik had an 83pt season for us in 07-08, so it's already happened.

Though I agree, a 90pt season may never happen.

Billy Mays Here*

Gaborik had an 83pt season for us in 07-08, so it's already happened.

Though I agree, a 90pt season may never happen.

But we have no one now or coming up the pipeline close to Gaborik's caliber.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad