Speculation: What do YOU think the chances are Keith Yandle signs with us in the summer?

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
Sorry for all the Yandle threads, but I'm kind of obsessing over the idea of Maloney pulling off a 2015 trade deadline heist. We traded Vermette and Michalek for great assets for our future and got them back just months later for no assets lost and at a decent price. Then we trade Yandle for a young star in the making and a 1st round pick as he was scheduled to become a UFA just a season later.

If we were to somehow get Yandle to sign with us this offseason...we will have basically received Anthony Duclair, Klas Dahlbeck, Maxim Letunov, Nick Merkley, Adin Hill, Jens Looke and a 2016 1st round draft pick...in exchange for Chris Summers, and a 4th round draft pick. That would be extremely impressive.

Now nothing is set in stone, and Yandle may have very well respectfully closed the chapter on the Coyotes, but there is still a chance (slim or solid) that he opts to return to Arizona.

Question is, what do you think the chances of that happening are? And do you want him back? Discuss.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
In the same way you can't let Breaking Bad go, I can't let Yandle go. Unfortunately for both of us, I think we're going to have to come to terms with reality sooner than later. :help:

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
In the same way you can't let Breaking Bad go, I can't let Yandle go. Unfortunately for both of us, I think we're going to have to come to terms with reality sooner than later. :help:

:laugh: Breaking Bad lives forever my dude. I am Jess Pinkman, yo.

Truth is, I'm too lazy to find a new profile pic. But i agree, we might just have to accept that we may have seen the last time Yandle ever wears Coyote Red :(

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
Yandle is going to be signed for big money next year and I don't want us to be the ones tied to this major contract.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
We will either get Yandle in the high $5m range or he will sign a $7m per contract with someone else.

I really do hope that he comes back, with what we have in the pipeline and if you add another offensive dman who is great on the PP with OEL, we would have one of the best offenses in the league, and lets face it, when was the last time the Coyotes could roll out an offense that would be near the top of the league.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
Yandle is going to be signed for big money next year and I don't want us to be the ones tied to this major contract.
Skaters aren't nearly as neurotic as goalies in terms of consistency. Yandle hasn't missed a game since 2008/2009. His game, like Sergei Zubov and Niklas Lidstrom and Brian Rafalski before him, is going to age like fine wine.

6 months ago, we were all predicting $5.5m x 5 for Antoine Vermette, and Obi Won Maloney got it done. I don't want to pay anything close to PK Subban dollars, but for $6m? Doan's money? I would do a lot of years and a fat NMC for that ...

Feb 12, 2003
I voted "No, and I'm glad he won't."

That is mostly based on that I don't want the team to pay him what he'll likely command in the open market. I don't think he addresses the team's biggest needs and it's really just a nostalgia trip having him come back. I would much rather see that money going to address the needs of the team because that would improve the team much more than Yandle alone.

Also, my guess is that Doan may retire. I think that's a major influence in Yandle's decision making if he was even contemplating coming back here. Yandle's had a taste of playing on a competitive team now again, and I'm sure he'll be looking to continue that. He'll be looking to play on a team now that the Coyotes will look like in 2-3 years. Plus if Boston gave him a reasonable offer I'd have to think that's a done deal.

I liked when Vrbata, Michalek and Vermette all returned. It's fun when they are favorites, but none of those three returns would impact the budget like a return of Yandle would.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
I would love to see him back, but I don't think we will. I think we could use a RHD puck moving defensemen that fits a need more.

I love Yands and wish we could roll four defensive pairings. Unfortunately we can't.

cobra427

May 6, 2012

All of the really good teams have players on long term deals with NMC/NTC's and high end salary's. On ELC's and even bridge deals to a degree, the team has all the leverage. Once the player reaches UFA status, the player has all the leverage. Unfortunately, we have had a bad experience with 2 high priced UFA's Smith/Ribs. UFA land is dangerous but I think Yandle's game lends itself to a longer career. I hope he signs here at a discount, but that discount will be 6.5-7 million a year in a rising cap environment.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Skaters aren't nearly as neurotic as goalies in terms of consistency. Yandle hasn't missed a game since 2008/2009. His game, like Sergei Zubov and Niklas Lidstrom and Brian Rafalski before him, is going to age like fine wine.

6 months ago, we were all predicting $5.5m x 5 for Antoine Vermette, and Obi Won Maloney got it done. I don't want to pay anything close to PK Subban dollars, but for $6m? Doan's money? I would do a lot of years and a fat NMC for that ...

I like Yandle, he is a winner and plays hard almost every game, but has a occasional brain fart. I just don't like players returning after they have been traded. We are rebuilding, time to move on.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
My steadfastness on keeping Yandle was 100% based on a McEichel pick. I'm pretty indifferent now regarding signing him.

Will be a lot of money we'll need for other players and I don't think he'd be part of a big boost of competitiveness that he would have been in the McEichel scenarios.

We will need to do something on D though cause this group past #1 has issues.

Fyreman

Ret FD Batt Chief
Jul 19, 2013
Liked Yandle when he was here, he was traded and we got some pretty good assets in return. TOO much money in resigning him for our budget, we're rebuilding, time to find the next Yandle (draft/farm system) and move on...

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Would love to have Yandle back at the right price. His game is still evolving and players with his vision don't come around too often.

In the room, I can see where he can bring levity at key moments as well. Who can forget - "We can't lose on bobblehead night"?

One of the more entertaining players we've ever had.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Yandle is a "glue guy." Great in the room. Probably the hockey player I'd like most to hang out with away from the rink.

He's also got great offensive skills and vision. He's certainly skilled in the opponent end.

But he's also in the prime of his career and the trade, based on his comments in interviews, turned the page on his loyalty to the franchise. Guys like Michalek and Vermette come back because they're near the end of their careers, they know that the Coyotes will use them more than most other teams at a better salary, and they're comfortable. None of this applies to Yandle.

I still stand by my opinion that if NY doesn't resign him, he'll take a reasonable contract from Boston.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I don't particularly want him back.

The nostalgia for him is based on him being a great guy while also making the crappy forwards the Coyotes had many years shine brighter than they deserved. It has been fun to watch a D corps this year that doesn't need to be sheltered, where every guy can handle the physical side of things. It would be great if the Coyotes were able to shelter him on a third pairing while feeding him all the PP time he can handle, but I don't see that depth happening anytime soon.

It will be awfully tempting to sign him to an outrageous contract simply because he'll be there come July and so will the cap room/need. I'm worried that Maloney will see the drop in the PP solely as a function of no Yandle.

I'd much rather draft or trade for a guy like Vatanen, or acquire a young player like Juulsen or Montour, and move on with life. Let Yandle sign his big east coast contract.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Yandle is a "glue guy." Great in the room. Probably the hockey player I'd like most to hang out with away from the rink.

He's also got great offensive skills and vision. He's certainly skilled in the opponent end.

But he's also in the prime of his career and the trade, based on his comments in interviews, turned the page on his loyalty to the franchise. Guys like Michalek and Vermette come back because they're near the end of their careers, they know that the Coyotes will use them more than most other teams at a better salary, and they're comfortable. None of this applies to Yandle.

I still stand by my opinion that if NY doesn't resign him, he'll take a reasonable contract from Boston.

I don't disagree with your post. I do think that Yandle will have had a taste of NYC and the east coast versus playing and living in Arizona. His perspective from when he left, might have changed by now. It could be that he loves NYC or wants to go to Boston now or maybe he liked living in Arizona and playing for Tip. It could also be about money, highest bidder, which could take him to 10 different teams. Time will tell, but I would love to have him back, our PP would be deadly and think about Yandle feeding the puck to a streaking Domi/Duclair/Reider/Strome :)

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Would love to have Yandle back at the right price. His game is still evolving and players with his vision don't come around too often.

In the room, I can see where he can bring levity at key moments as well. Who can forget - "We can't lose on bobblehead night"?

I agree with both you guys, and I would want him back if we were a contender, but not with us rebuilding. Yandle is at his prime, and he will want term which I hate giving at a player his age, or any age as far as that goes. Time to move on.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Our PP has dropped to dead last in the league. He DEFINITELY fills a need and you're kidding yourself if you think he doesn't.

That said, is he the right age to be a guy that gets a 50mil deal from a bargain basement team? Maybe not.

Certainly better than pissing away all of that money on useless Mike Smith who is on his 4th straight season of proving he's less effective than any random retread who has been his backup in that span. It seems like literally every 1m or less goalie we've signed in the last four years has proven to be better than Mike Smith and eventually gets traded or walks despite earning the number one job.

Greiss looked better. Dubnyk looked better. Domingue looked promising in the few games he got. Same is true of Lindback.

Mike. Smith. Sucks.

Buy him out and overpay Yandle.

We can sign Montoya, Domingue, and Lindback to 750kay one-way deals and rotate them based on hot streaks.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida

This. Take a page out of the 2007 Ducks team building book, but OEL-Yandle instead of Pronger-Niedermayer.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Our PP has dropped to dead last in the league. He DEFINITELY fills a need and you're kidding yourself if you think he doesn't.

That said, is he the right age to be a guy that gets a 50mil deal from a bargain basement team? Maybe not.

Certainly better than pissing away all of that money on useless Mike Smith who is on his 4th straight season of proving he's less effective than any random retread who has been his backup in that span. It seems like literally every 1m or less goalie we've signed in the last four years has proven to be better than Mike Smith and eventually gets traded or walks despite earning the number one job.

Greiss looked better. Dubnyk looked better. Domingue looked promising in the few games he got. Same is true of Lindback.

Mike. Smith. Sucks.

Buy him out and overpay Yandle.

We can sign Montoya, Domingue, and Lindback to 750kay one-way deals and rotate them based on hot streaks.

I agree, sign a goalie for 2-3 million, max 2 years. Then hope he gets hot like Smith in the playoffs and not cold like Bryz. As for Yandle, his game will still be effective as he ages. He is not great in his own end, I would say average and that could get better as he ages not worse. Remember he is still quick to the puck in his own end and that first pass is great, why a PMD is so valuable even in your own end.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Odds are slim, but I thought that about Vermette returning, too. I think someone will offer him a Brinks truck and a winning roster, and he'll take it. If he's open to a reasonable contract here like Vermette was, I don't know why you wouldn't want him back. I'd love to see someone on the backend able to move the puck to our young forwards like he did.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ

Completely agree, you simply cannot deny his charisma and all around appeal. The love fans had for him was only matched by his teammates. He's a glue guy, leader, cheerleader, comic relief, etc. etc. Oh and he just happens to be one of the most talented offensive defensemen in the NHL as well.

zz

Nov 1, 2006
I don't think we'll have the budget to make a real offer. Otherwise I would love to have him back.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Getting Yandle back for a few years would certainly solve, or at least delay, the problem of how our defensive prospect pool seems to suddenly be a problem.

(brought to you by the Department of Redunancy Department)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad