Proposal: What Do You Think That MacT Can Get In Return For Hemsky And Horcoff?

NeutralZone

Oct 29, 2011
I think the deal should be Hemsky for a 3rd liner. Maybe with a pick or prospect added if it's a high quality third liner or a on a sweet contract.

At this point Edmonton has got too many dmen signed, and the only kind we really need is true top pairing guys and Hemsky would be a small and unlikely part of any trade like that. Hemsky for a pick doesn't make sense with our current lack of depth.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Hemsky for a 2nd? That would suck major ass at this point. I was hoping he could be bundled with another spare part (which the Oilers have craploads of at this point) to help fill a key spot in the lineup.

I'm probably dreaming but Hemsky + NSchultz would be an ideal package to ship out... some offense and a stay at home dman... what team could refuse that deluxe package for a surplus of a gritty winger they may have laying around collecting dust. :)

I'm still pushing for that Hemsky/Klesla trade. Looking more like settling for that Hemsky/Erskine trade

OF17

Dec 2, 2007
en France
I'm still pushing for that Hemsky/Klesla trade. Looking more like settling for that Hemsky/Erskine trade

I'd rather keep Hemsky than trade him for Erskine. Where would he play? Schultz, Belov, Larsen, and Potter is already a crowded 5-6-7.

I wonder if a Hemsky for Legwand swap would make sense. The Predators have a ton of centers and not a lot of offensive skill. I'd take Gaustad for Hemsky too, and I'd even retain salary.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
I'd rather keep Hemsky than trade him for Erskine. Where would he play? Schultz, Belov, Larsen, and Potter is already a crowded 5-6-7.

I wonder if a Hemsky for Legwand swap would make sense. The Predators have a ton of centers and not a lot of offensive skill. I'd take Gaustad for Hemsky too, and I'd even retain salary.

You know, the Gaustad thing would make sense all around. Im just not sure what he would think about it. I believe he has a ntc. He'd fit right into that 3rd C spot and provide leadership, face offs and some size. He'd be Antropov that could win face offs. A little more physical too.. lol

Oh, and Legwand... No chance.

OF17

Dec 2, 2007
en France
You know, the Gaustad thing would make sense all around. Im just not sure what he would think about it. I believe he has a ntc. He'd fit right into that 3rd C spot and provide leadership, face offs and some size. He'd be Antropov that could win face offs. A little more physical too.. lol

Oh, and Legwand... No chance.

Why do you say no chance on Legwand? As in they wouldn't trade him or you wouldn't want him?

Gaustad would be excellent IMO. Didn't know about that NTC. That makes things a little harder to work around. Acquiring him would allow us to run a sick checking line though.

Paajarvi - Gaustad - Gordon

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
Our bottom 6 is better but still isn't good enough IMO. This is hopefully what it's at so far...
Hall - RNH - Eberle
Paajarvi - Gagner - Yakupov
XXXXX - Gordon - XXXXX
Smyth - XXXXX - Jones
Joensuu
Brown

I'm okay with Joensuu, Smyth and Brown being rotated and playing in case of injuries but they shouldn't be regulars. I actually don't mind Joensuu and if he earns a spot, that's fine but that's too much of a question mark. I don't want lander as our 4C yet either. I hope MacT still has a trade or two up his sleeve to improve our bottom 6. We still need our third line wingers IMO. Hopefully we can strike a deal with a team that sends Hemsky to them and we fill one, if not, both of our needs.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Our bottom 6 is better but still isn't good enough IMO. This is hopefully what it's at so far...
Hall - RNH - Eberle
XXXXX - Gordon - XXXXX
Smyth - XXXXX - Jones
Joensuu
Brown

I'm okay with Joensuu, Smyth and Brown being rotated and playing in case of injuries but they shouldn't be regulars. I actually don't mind Joensuu and if he earns a spot, that's fine but that's too much of a question mark. I don't want lander as our 4C yet either. I hope MacT still has a trade or two up his sleeve to improve our bottom 6. We still need our third line wingers IMO. Hopefully we can strike a deal with a team that sends Hemsky to them and we fill one, if not, both of our needs.

But ideally I don't think you run Paajarvi on the second line. Picking up a 3rd line LW is obviously easier, but the Oilers know they need some size and skill in that second line LW spot. Unless they move Gagner for a physical #2 centre.

Management also doesn't seem to agree that they need to find a #4 centre either... so unfortunately the only real progress the team might see is at that third line RW if they move Hemsky.

Based on what they've said and done it seems like a guarantee that Gordon, Lander, Jones, and Smyth will be in the bottom six next season. If they manage to fill that second line LW spot Paajarvi will be as well, otherwise he'll probably be on the second line. Hemsky's spot is the only one left open.

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013
Hall - RNH - Eberle
XXXXX - Gordon - XXXXX
Smyth - XXXXX - Jones
Joensuu
Brown

Lander will be our number 4 center book it

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
But ideally I don't think you run Paajarvi on the second line. Picking up a 3rd line LW is obviously easier, but the Oilers know they need some size and skill in that second line LW spot. Unless they move Gagner for a physical #2 centre.

Management also doesn't seem to agree that they need to find a #4 centre either... so unfortunately the only real progress the team might see is at that third line RW if they move Hemsky.

Based on what they've said and done it seems like a guarantee that Gordon, Lander, Jones, and Smyth will be in the bottom six next season. If they manage to fill that second line LW spot Paajarvi will be as well, otherwise he'll probably be on the second line. Hemsky's spot is the only one left open.

I don't mind Paajarvi on the second line. I think him, Gagner and Yakupov played well but I do agree that if you can upgrade on Paajarvi and bump him down, you do it but like you said, it's a lot harder finding a 2nd line LW with size. Our bottom 6 isn't good enough yet. They're a bit better but not what I was hoping for. We still need to improve our third line IMO. Also, sounds like Joensuu might be a regular as well.

Lander will be our number 4 center book it

That's what I'm thinking. It will be him or Acton and that's pretty bad. Lander still needs more time IMO. There are a lot of fourth line centers available, we should try and get one. I still would've liked for us to get Lapierre. Hate the guy but a player you would love to have.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Sucks that we aren't going to get anything worthwhile for Hemsky.

I'd just as soon keep him. Oilers are in a horrible position right now that if anyone in the top 6 gets hurt there's not a player on the team or in the system that can step up and reasonably fill in. Hemsky can do that.

Seriously... as it stands now without Hemsky:

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Paajarvi-Gagner-Yakupov
Smyth?-Gordon-Jones
Brown-Lander-Joensuu?

Seriously... what the hell is this team going to do if someone in the top 6 gets hurt?

Looking at that bottom 6 in general... just ****ing awful. Wow is that a terrible bottom 6. Maybe the worst in the league.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton

I'd just as soon keep him. Oilers are in a horrible position right now that if anyone in the top 6 gets hurt there's not a player on the team or in the system that can step up and reasonably fill in. Hemsky can do that.

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Paajarvi-Gagner-Yakupov
Smyth?-Gordon-Jones
Brown-Lander-Joensuu?

Seriously... what the hell is this team going to do if someone in the top 6 gets hurt?

Looking at that bottom 6 in general... just ****ing awful. Wow is that a terrible bottom 6. Maybe the worst in the league.

Well to be fair, we would likely get something to help our bottom 6 out in return for Hemsky. We also have some Dmen and D prospects that may be expendable but I agree they need to improve on our bottom 6. At this point, I would take a chance at Mason Raymond. Not the most ideal player but still an upgrade.

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013
I don't mind Paajarvi on the second line. I think him, Gagner and Yakupov played well but I do agree that if you can upgrade on Paajarvi and bump him down, you do it but like you said, it's a lot harder finding a 2nd line LW with size. Our bottom 6 isn't good enough yet. They're a bit better but not what I was hoping for. We still need to improve our third line IMO. Also, sounds like Joensuu might be a regular as well.

That's what I'm thinking. It will be him or Acton and that's pretty bad. Lander still needs more time IMO. There are a lot of fourth line centers available, we should try and get one. I still would've liked for us to get Lapierre. Hate the guy but a player you would love to have.

Better not be he already got family payout outrageous 100g ahl salary for his skills and a 30g signing bonus.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Well to be fair, we would likely get something to help our bottom 6 out in return for Hemsky. We also have some Dmen and D prospects that may be expendable but I agree they need to improve on our bottom 6. At this point, I would take a chance at Mason Raymond. Not the most ideal player but still an upgrade.

Even if you get a bottom 6 player for Hemsky (although Stauffer was suggesting the return for Hemsky wont be as good as the return for Horcoff) it is unlikely that that player will be the type who can step up into a top 6 role in the case of injury.

To be honest I would be much more comfortable with something like this going into the season

Hall-RNH-Eberle
xxxx-Gagner-Yakupov
Paajarvi-Antropov-Hemsky
Smyth-Gordon-Jones

Someone gets hurt in the top 6 and you've got a player at each position who can move up and fill in if necessary. If there is one thing we've learned it is that injuries are inevitable. Going into the season without anyone who can fill in is just... down right frightening.

It would be one thing if we had some top 6 prospects ready to step in in the case of injury, but we've got no one even close right now.

Hemsky4PM

Jun 25, 2003
Billeting Ales
Visit site
Acton is the new Vande Velde. Whatevs.

I am interested to see what happens with Hemsky. I don't hate out bottom 6 as much as some, but agree it could be improved still. Getting Paajarvi on a work-out plan is the best bet for a 2nd line LW. Need to get him on track to be a top 6 guy, which he was projecting to be in his draft and rookie seasons.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
Even if you get a bottom 6 player for Hemsky (although Stauffer was suggesting the return for Hemsky wont be as good as the return for Horcoff) it is unlikely that that player will be the type who can step up into a top 6 role in the case of injury.

To be honest I would be much more comfortable with something like this going into the season

Hall-RNH-Eberle
xxxx-Gagner-Yakupov
Paajarvi-Antropov-Hemsky
Smyth-Gordon-Jones

Someone gets hurt in the top 6 and you've got a player at each position who can move up and fill in if necessary. If there is one thing we've learned it is that injuries are inevitable. Going into the season without anyone who can fill in is just... down right frightening.

It would be one thing if we had some top 6 prospects ready to step in in the case of injury, but we've got no one even close right now.

I agree with that last sentence. This was supposed to be the year guys like Hamilton and Pitlick were knocking on the door and ready for a roster spot. That isn't happening. To be honest, if what stauffer said is true, I would rather keep Hemsky but that doesn't make any sense. Hemsky has more value than Horcoff and we can always retain some salary to drive his value up. Maybe it's just me but IMO, a team that's lacking scoring would give up a depth player to get him. If we can't get a return better than the one Horcoff got, we are better off keeping him. Gordon is the third line center for sure. I wouldn't mind signing Antropov, playing him on LW on the third line and and bumping Gordon up. Then if Gagner or Nuge get injured, Antropov can play center. I'm pretty sure he can play both wing and center.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Paajarvi-Gagner-Yakupov
Smyth?-Gordon-Jones
Brown-Lander-Joensuu?

Well RNH technically is already hurt... so doing the centre shuffle up the charts right now makes it look that much worse already.

Ya I know some will say... he'll be ready by the season opener but I'd rather not count on that with his weight/frame being what it is combined with a summer recovering from surgery... realistically you can't just pencil him in immediately.

I can't see how anyone would have much optimism in that bottom 6 without some more "tinkering" at a minimum... and honestly I think it could use major changes.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Hemsky @ 3.5 for David moss and 2nd rounder?

Boyle out of NYR for a 4th. Not terrific but has size and is a serviceable 4th line C.

Sign Antropov for 2LW with gags and yaks. He can play all three fwd position and so can Moss so we have some options while RNH is rehabbing.

Coburn for N.schultz at 2.5 + '14 2nd +Potter/rajala/other prospect. Or even another 2nd. Theres a deal to be made there with Holmgren. He gets some value plus even more he gets 2 mil cap space.

Hall - RNH - Eberle
Antropov - Gagner - Yakupov
PRV - Gordon - Moss
Joensuu - Boyle - Jones

13-14: Brown, Lander(Okc)

Coburn Petry
Ference J. schultz
Belov Smid

OF17

Dec 2, 2007
en France

Hall-RNH-Eberle
xxxx-Gagner-Yakupov
Paajarvi-Antropov-Hemsky
Smyth-Gordon-Jones

I like the Antropov idea a lot. I might even play him at 2LW and bump Paajarvi down a line.

Hall-Nugent Hopkins-Eberle
Antropov-Gagner-Yakupov
Paajarvi-Gordon-xxxx
Smyth-xxxx-Jones
Brown, Joensuu

Hemsky trade should be able to fill one of those two remaining xxxxes, at which point that forward group doesn't even look half bad. You could even keep Hemsky around and play him at 3RW. I just hope Lander isn't slotted into that 4C position immediately.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
I like the Antropov idea a lot. I might even play him at 2LW and bump Paajarvi down a line.

Hall-Nugent Hopkins-Eberle
Antropov-Gagner-Yakupov
Paajarvi-Gordon-xxxx
Smyth-xxxx-Jones
Brown, Joensuu

Hemsky trade should be able to fill one of those two remaining xxxxes, at which point that forward group doesn't even look half bad. You could even keep Hemsky around and play him at 3RW. I just hope Lander isn't slotted into that 4C position immediately.

Agreed. Antropov is versatile and is capable of playing top 6 mins. Not the most ideal situation but at this point, Antropov would be a solid addition.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
I keep thinking they need to get a D for Hemsky but maybe a nice bottom six guy like Kopecky would work.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Why would we want a 10th dman competing for 7 spots?
Well we need another top 4 d-man. We wont get one for Hemsky though. I don't see another team that desperate to get a bit extra scoring.

Don't need a depth guy for Hemsky though, that's for sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad